geocaching and 2012

So, the Olympics have started, and Mary and I were discussing in the car how amusing it would be if we could get Geocaching as an Olympic sport in 2012!!!

We then started wandering what a Geocaching Olympics might entail... Obviously, the sprint races could be mad dashes to a newly published cache, the distance running would be a long series on foot, and the rowing, sailing and swimming events could all be easily filled. But how about racquet sports? or football? or archery and shooting!

Any bright ideas?!

It might be off topic, I was wanting to get larger drinking listed as an Olympic sport. Watching some people on a Saturday might leads me to suspect we could win gold.

Now back on topic.... Could the Where I Go stuff be used so a cacher needs to cover a distance in a time to fine the cache. Ummm, setting that cache might well loose me some friends I guess.

Sounds like a good idea for a new series of caches, one related to each sport / event in the olympics. Wonder if all could be set before 2012?

<off to google how many sports and events there are in the olympics...>

28 sports, 38 disciplines and 302 events. A cache per sport or discipline sounds do-able, in terms of numbers, if enough people were involved.

Not quite sure what a synchronised swimming cache would consist of....

You could have a MEGA multi, one cache in each county to be comlpeted in order. A little like the olympic torch.

One in each county is little quest isn't it? :) One cache themed for each event spread out over the country was sort of what I was thinking but I don't know how you would organise it. LQ was set up before I started caching.

How would you enforce having to do the caches in order? Would that be too restrictive?