New Bug? or just an old one I overlooked?

edscott

As a cache owner when a spoiler log gets posted I sometimes encrypt it and ask the finder to edit the log to remove the spoiler data. If I use the "permanently encrypt" option then sign in using my wife's account I can decrypt it thus it is not permanently encrypted. Has this always been the system or is it broken with the other issues on encryption since the update?

I would rather have the log fixed then decrypt it as the encryption really calls attention to the log and makes it more likely to be read. Deleting it often seems a bit much but that seems to be the only option at this time.

From the pinned thread on how to report a site issue. Supplying this information will help us duplicate the problem.

I wanted to just post a note on some guidelines for posting a site issue to this forum.

If you come across an issue and are able to readily repeat the process for which it happens please follow these steps.

1. If you run other browsers on your system try and see if it happen there as well.

2. Review forum topics and see if someone else has posted something similar.

3. Create or add to an already existing topic.

4. Post the following information for the issue:

Your Operating System: Windows XP, Mac 10.4, etc..

Your Browser with Version number: IE 7.0, Firefox 2.01, Opera 9.1

Cache GC code if the error occurred there

Any URL's that you feel would help.

5. If I can not repeat the issue, I can not repair it. So the extra information is a must.

Thanks for helping me help you!

Edited by Michael

From the pinned thread on how to report a site issue. Supplying this information will help us duplicate the problem.

I wanted to just post a note on some guidelines for posting a site issue to this forum.

If you come across an issue and are able to readily repeat the process for which it happens please follow these steps.

1. If you run other browsers on your system try and see if it happen there as well.

2. Review forum topics and see if someone else has posted something similar.

3. Create or add to an already existing topic.

4. Post the following information for the issue:

Your Operating System: Windows XP, Mac 10.4, etc..

Your Browser with Version number: IE 7.0, Firefox 2.01, Opera 9.1

Cache GC code if the error occurred there

Any URL's that you feel would help.

5. If I can not repeat the issue, I can not repair it. So the extra information is a must.

Thanks for helping me help you!

OK, it seemed pretty straightforward to me but here is more data.

Mac OSX 10.4.11

Safari 3.1.2 (4525.22)

Go to "view log" on a cache log while signed in as the owner of that cache. Click "permanently Encrypt". Log gets encrypted. Sign out and sign in under a different account. Go back to the same log and while still on the regular cache page hit decrypt. It decrypts the log thus the log was not really "permanently" encrypted since it can be decrypted by anyone that chooses to do so. Maybe it has always been this way, but if so why call it a permanent encryption?

One last thing please. can you give me the URL of a log that has shown this problem. While it may seem silly there are many times when we can not recreate the problems and need the information requested.

Thank you.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...1a-be70e262fe23

It is now encrypted by it can be decrypted through another account.

It can be decrypted on CacheMate also. Even if this is made truly permanent on GC.com, paperless cachers will still have one touch decrypt ability.

One last thing please. can you give me the URL of a log that has shown this problem. While it may seem silly there are many times when we can not recreate the problems and need the information requested.

Thank you.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...1a-be70e262fe23

It is now encrypted by it can be decrypted through another account.

I believe that's the way it has always been. Anyone can request to decrypt the log, but the cache owner receives it decrypted by default. Perhaps the second half has changed but I'm positive the option to decrypt a log entry has always been available to everyone.

If you think about this a little bit, it's working exactly as designed.

If you never want the log seen again, delete it. So-called encryption on geocaching.com is really rot13, which is not encryption at all. It just swaps letters so that someone reading the page won't immediately read a spoiler. It's still there for people who want it, but won't be read accidentally. The "decrypt" button on the website is a convenience so you don't have to manually change the letters.

Congrats to Michael for posting twice before double-thinking. :rolleyes:

Go to "view log" on a cache log while signed in as the owner of that cache. Click "permanently Encrypt". Log gets encrypted. Sign out and sign in under a different account. Go back to the same log and while still on the regular cache page hit decrypt. It decrypts the log thus the log was not really "permanently" encrypted since it can be decrypted by anyone that chooses to do so. Maybe it has always been this way, but if so why call it a permanent encryption?

It's working as intended, and as it always has. "Permanent" means it actually updates the log in the database, rather than just showing you a temporarily decrypted version of the log. Every time you bring up the log, it's encrypted. It's permanent. That doesn't mean a temporary decrypted version can't be displayed for anyone requesting one.