Getting Permission for earth cache in an National Park

walkingmaniac

I have recently visited the Lava Beds National park and love it there. I found a great place for an earth cache and think I have enough to work up an good set of questions. I do not live in the area but want to place a earth cache there is it all right to get permission by email ? And what would be the best things to state in the email ..

I have recently visited the Lava Beds National park and love it there. I found a great place for an earth cache and think I have enough to work up an good set of questions. I do not live in the area but want to place a earth cache there is it all right to get permission by email ? And what would be the best things to state in the email ..

Chances are there may be some type of permit application involved.

I would stress the educational and non-destructive nature of Earthcaches and also that this would bring more visitors into the park. You may want to reinforce this point w/the acceptance of caching in other parks [Municipal, County, State and Historical].

E-mail approvals are fine. If you don't get a phone number, just put the e-mail address in the phone number section.

I have been successful at getting approval from National Parks completely by e-mail. For me, only one has required a formal permit application (fees waived because it is a non-profit educational activity), and another just required an electronic 'signature' on an agreement. I did meet with the staff from another park, just because they were quite interested in the project and were quite hands on with the descriptions.

If you don't already have a contact, I use the 'contact us' link on the national park's web page. Hopefully you will get forwarded to the Chief Interpretation Officer, they are more likely to be positive about getting people involved in learning about the park.

My profile has a generic letter I use when contacting the park. Feel free to use it and modify it for your uses. You can also mention any of the other parks, and if needed I can provide specific contacts for references.

The advice above is good. Also I would never say "place" and earthcache. It might give the connotation of some physical container. I've begun using "list" or "publish".

So far only Yosemite has been reluctant to

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I have a question regarding permission for EarthCache development.

We've selected a site and filled out the required permit which, after discussing it with the district ranger, I'm assured will be approved. I even contacted a member of the Arkansas Geological Society regarding the feature and she was very helpful. There's just one glitch. I contacted the owner of a nearby cache and asked if he would mind my placing an EarthCache nearby and got no response. I'm waiting for a response to my second email but I'm afraid I may get ignored again. If so, can I still place the EarthCache without their permission? :)

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I have a question regarding permission for EarthCache development.

We've selected a site and filled out the required permit which, after discussing it with the district ranger, I'm assured will be approved. I even contacted a member of the Arkansas Geological Society regarding the feature and she was very helpful. There's just one glitch. I contacted the owner of a nearby cache and asked if he would mind my placing an EarthCache nearby and got no response. I'm waiting for a response to my second email but I'm afraid I may get ignored again. If so, can I still place the EarthCache without their permission? :)

You've done your due diligence. Put in the comments to reviewer that you’ve tried to contact the nearby cache and got no response.

Is the traditional in question less than 0.1 mile away? If it is more than 0.1 mile your working too hard.

It is under 0.10mi. It's a great cache and I know we really enjoyed hunting it. I've spoken with the owner through email before without problem. I'm hoping to hear something in the next day or two.

Maybe I'm a little slow, so someone educate me. Why do you have to get permission for an earth cache, is it just being polite or is it a Groundspeak rule? An earth cache isn't a physical thing, you just gather some information and log the cache.

This EarthCache will be (hopefully) at the Natural Dam waterfall. It's a forest service recreational area and both the Ozark and Ouachita NF require a permit for any cache virtual or otherwise. Our state parks even require a permit to place a waymark in a state park. It sounds restrictive but it is actually better for everyone since they have embraced geocaching and encourage it. I'm hoping to work with our forest geologist to get quite a few EarthCaches placed in our forests. :lol:

Maybe I'm a little slow, so someone educate me. Why do you have to get permission for an earth cache, is it just being polite or is it a Groundspeak rule? An earth cache isn't a physical thing, you just gather some information and log the cache.

Polite. There have been a few comments from traditional/virtual owners about being suprised at an EarthCache showing up very close to their cache.

It is a GSA guideline. They are just trying to be good neighbors to the geocaching community.

It's a matter of being polite. The person owning the cache may want first right of refusal on an EarthCache Especially if the cache already covers some of the same ground an earthCache might.

I don't recall being asked on my Join Venture at Crater Rings cache. Had I been asked I'd not have cared a wit because I'm happy with my cache (which coves some of the background info on the geological feature) as it is. There is an EarthCache at the identical coordinate.

I'm qouting what you posted in another thread about getting permission and being denied.

Terrydad writes,

"Doesn't want to "share" the park?! What the @#%@~! That attitude just speaks for itself. I'll just leave that alone so I don't get banned from the forums.

I would say that the Park Department's approval and support of the EarthCache (or even the placement of other traditionals) trumps any selfish cacher's desire to keep an area to themselves. I’d go with your 3rd option; Place it anyway sending them a note that the Park Department wants to support the EarthCaches."

Polite. There have been a few comments from traditional/virtual owners about being suprised at an EarthCache showing up very close to their cache.

It is a GSA guideline. They are just trying to be good neighbors to the geocaching community.

Edited by Cav Scout