Mega Event 2 - 2009

If there's to be a Mega Event in 2009 then plans need to be put in place very shortly.

After some discussion there's the basis of an Organising team who are keen (is keen the right word?) to organise the next Mega Event somewhere in the Southern part of the UK - I would think somewhere in the general area of Bristol, but don't hold me to that as yet.

If any other cachers are planning something similar can I ask that they contact us through my GC Profile so we can discuss matters further.

If anyone within striking distance of Bristol wishes to be involved with planning then again can they contact us via my GC Profile.

And many thanks to those cachers who've so readily said "Yes" to being involved.

Steve

Sounds like as good a location as anywhere, go for it an good luck. It looks like we shall be moving to the Bristol area in the 2nd half of next year, a little bit late to be of great use for the Mega but if there is anything we can do to help that doesn't require us to be in the area we are more than willing, just give us a shout.

It taint very central is it :D to state the obvious

I cant remeber how far the lads from Devon said they travelled to Harrogate

Disco gets about 30 miles to the gallon pulling the tin tent, at 329 miles at next years diesel prices...

Someone work it out for me :D .............I am off to get a brandy ready :D

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

It taint very central is it :lol: to state the obvious

I cant remeber how far the lads from Devon said they travelled to Harrogate

I drove 350 miles each way (plus a bit extra for caching en route). It could be worse you know, it could be down in Cornwall where Steve is from :rolleyes:

If Bristol was the chosen venue, you could treat it as a staging post for a further weeks summer holiday in Devon or Cornwall which makes it much better value. Bristol is very accessible to people from the SW peninsula and also across the South of England and South Wales. Bristol airport is served by cheap flights from all over Europe and Ireland so it is a possibility for our foreign friends too if they arranged car hire as well.

A Mega event will move round the country to the areas where willing volunteers are based. An annual roving location is a good thing I think, as long as the chosen location is able to provide 500+ visitors. Let's see how far this idea goes B)

Well done on stepping up to the plate guys. Let's not have any complaints about location though - it wouldn't make much sense to have a 'central' mega event if all the willing mugs volunteers are in the South West (or is Bristol South now according to geocaching regions :rolleyes: )

We'll be there more than likely, having camped further than that several times in the last 3 years or so (I'm assuming there will be camping?)

Harrogate would have been a 720 Mile round trip... over 800 from the West of Cornwall. I wish I could have got there - but I couldn't.

I'd love to run a Mega in Cornwall, but I thought Bristol was a more suitable location for the majority of the Country.

If the Mega moves around the UK on a year by year basis then mileages will even out - and the event will be pretty much accessible to all over time.

A Central UK location is still a heck of along journey to those who live at the far extremities of this Island (umm group of islands!) of ours!

We'll never please everyone with one location - hence why the event needs to move around - See it like a big cache, we in the South West want to show you somewhere you may have not been before - please come and enjoy our bit of the UK.

Well done on stepping up to the plate guys. Let's not have any complaints about location though - it wouldn't make much sense to have a 'central' mega event if all the willing mugs volunteers are in the South West (or is Bristol South now according to geocaching regions :rolleyes: )

We'll be there more than likely, having camped further than that several times in the last 3 years or so (I'm assuming there will be camping?)

Thanks Tigger..

Obviously at this stage we've not held a meeting but yes - a large Central location for the event, a range of accommodation nearby and camping within striking distance would be on the plans.

Harrogate would have been a 720 Mile round trip... over 800 from the West of Cornwall. I wish I could have got there - but I couldn't.

I'd love to run a Mega in Cornwall, but I thought Bristol was a more suitable location for the majority of the Country.

If the Mega moves around the UK on a year by year basis then mileages will even out - and the event will be pretty much accessible to all over time.

A Central UK location is still a heck of along journey to those who live at the far extremities of this Island (umm group of islands!) of ours!

We'll never please everyone with one location - hence why the event needs to move around - See it like a big cache, we in the South West want to show you somewhere you may have not been before - please come and enjoy our bit of the UK.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that the date ought to move around slightly as well. In the same way as we don't all live in the North, South or middle of the country, some of us very few spare dates in late July/Early August. I'm guessing I'm not alone in this as it's a desperately hectic time of year on the calendars of most people I know.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that the date ought to move around slightly as well. In the same way as we don't all live in the North, South or middle of the country, some of us very few spare dates in late July/Early August. I'm guessing I'm not alone in this as it's a desperately hectic time of year on the calendars of most people I know.
Good idea, I only just managed to squeeze the last one into my calendar.

Rather than reply to everyone! I'm taking notes....

There's an issue with dates of School Holidays in different parts of the UK. Hence why early August is favoured I believe...

I recognise that. I was thinking of slightly later in August rather than moving it into another month altogether.

I suspect that folk memory of the old traditional "factory fortnight" means that the beginning of August is always well blessed with events of all shapes and sizes in our area.

I'd just like to say Thank you and Good Luck to the team which is stepping up to run a 2009 event.

It's not easy and there are bound to be a few grumbles along the way but I'm sure it will all be great in the end.

All being well I look forward to attending an event some where in the South West, some time in 2009.

Lots of great MTB trails that way and more than enough caches to make a weeks holiday ( dates permitting ) of it.

Bristol airport is served by cheap flights from all over Europe and Ireland so it is a possibility for our foreign friends too if they arranged car hire as well.

And flights to scotland - i've flown bristol to edinburgh and i think there are flight to glasgow as well if the scots don't want to drive. Hopefully if the mega is a little further south next year we will be able to attend. Harrogate was just too far for the small person.

OMG thats a long way down......... will I need a passport :cool:

Just checked for my Scottish friends

Perth to Bristol 727 miles B) might not be many Scots there then :rolleyes:

M :lol:

Not sure where you get your distances from?

I make it

Perth to Bristol 7 hours, 418 miles

5 hours from Durham 280 miles, so dooable?

Thanks for considering Scottish school holidays. (JULY & first two weeks AUGUST roughly, varies slightly in different scottish regions)

Thanks for taking on the MEGA task.

The sooner the venue is organised/date, the sooner people can book their cheap flights. (not that I am pushing of course! - but it is something to consider. )

I realise the venue will never suit everyone, but anyone that is prepared to take on the task has my vote to choose where it is held.

Edited by perth pathfinders

Ummm, I have to say that given the choice I would not arrange a mega event around Bristol if I could pick anywhere. It is a pain to get to for so many, and not just those coming from the North. Given a clean sheet I would personally be looking towards Oxford, the home counties, or somewhere like that.

That being said I agree it is not worse than Harrogate on average, and if there is a team to take on the huge task of organising it then you have my support wherever it is.

Ummm, I have to say that given the choice I would not arrange a mega event around Bristol if I could pick anywhere. It is a pain to get to for so many, and not just those coming from the North. Given a clean sheet I would personally be looking towards Oxford, the home counties, or somewhere like that.

As far as I see it, the location is not up for discussion or debate here in the forums. The exact location will be decided by the Committee that is already formed/forming. I hope I'm not stepping on Steve's toes by saying this.

(EDIT to add that if there is another group/s considering organising a Mega Event for 2009 then a discussion would take place between them to decide what happens.)

Edited by Stuey

As far as I see it, the location is not up for discussion or debate here in the forums. The exact location will be decided by the Committee that is already formed/forming. I hope I'm not stepping on Steve's toes by saying this.

Not at all Stuey - I live in the South West as do the rest of team (Despite what the Region List may have you believe!)

I certainly wouldn't be up for running an event in Oxford or the Home Counties.

To be fair I think most posters have said that whilst the Bristol area may not be ideal, if that's where the organising team are based then that's where the event should be.

Bristol B)

I won't even need to camp as Bristol's only 2 hours down the M4!

Much as I enjoyed camping at the Mega, I'm not a natural born camper.

Plus, I've learned that insects are attracted to laptop screens even inside tents - I sat in the tent logging finds on Sunday night and didn't realise how many insects were being drawn into the tent by the lappie.

Monday morning, I'm covered in bites - and I get allergic reactions to any insect bites - my arms are still covered by red spots almost a week later :lol::rolleyes:

Moving to different regions is a good idea. Personally, I don't think I'd travel as far as Harrogate for another event - but I also now think that Harrogate was the perfect place for the first event (after initial misgivings).

South next year and then Scotland the next?

Where ever next years Mega is located and who ever organises it. Will of course have the full support of the UK Reviewer/Moderator team [who knows there might be more than 3 of us B) ]

a requests though :lol:

Please make sure the campsite is up to the standard set by this years [i don't fancy the earache from the O/H if it's not :rolleyes: ]

Where ever next years Mega is located and who ever organises it. Will of course have the full support of the UK Reviewer/Moderator team [who knows there might be more than 3 of us B)

Hang on a mo there Deceangi.... Bristol is next door to me and that means I'll be the one who has to publish all the new caches :rolleyes:

I vote for ..... Orkney or Kent or somewhere far away from Bristol :cool::lol:

Graculus

Will of course have the full support of the UK Reviewer/Moderator team [who knows there might be more than 3 of us :rolleyes: ]

I forgot to ask before, am I still in charge of moderating all new victuals and webcams?

Ps. Sorry. It's a very very old in joke. Just ignore me. You were! Well done. Keep up the good work.

Just a suggestion. It seems to me that the turnout at this years Mega event shows that the community is big enough to have more than one a year. While it probably would not be something for 2009 it might make sense to look at having 2 in 2010. Perhaps one in late spring and one in late summer. Two different themes and locations.

This is only a suggestion because I think you guys can easily support two such events a year. I think you might find a large amount of cachers would go to both every year. Its too late now to plan the one in late spring. But if started now there is more than enough time for a 2010 spring Mega event

The quality of this years event and the attendance shows that the community has the man power to support 2 events.

Just an idea to consider.

Edited by Michael

Ummm, I have to say that given the choice I would not arrange a mega event around Bristol if I could pick anywhere. It is a pain to get to for so many.

Its not THAT bad surely? Bristol is right next to the M4/M5 and so has good access from the North and the East (probably a lot easier than Harrogate) and the South West, not to mention South Wales.

In the same way, a Mega in the Glasgow/Edinburgh corridor in 2010 would be easy to get to (and undeniably brilliant!) evn if it would be a long journey for some.

Surely one of the points of the Mega is to encourage us to visit areas that we wouldn't otherwise get to experience?

Surely one of the points of the Mega is to encourage us to visit areas that we wouldn't otherwise get to experience?

Surely we should be capable of doing that anyway :rolleyes:

It's the job of the tourist boards to enourage to visit different areas. Maybe they should be sponsoring the events if the organisers are doing their job for them :lol:

Just a suggestion. It seems to me that the turnout at this years Mega event shows that the community is big enough to have more than one a year.

The turn out was good, very good, although I suspect we are not at the point where we could support two a year yet. Many went because it was the first one and to get the icon. If you take away those, and the people who will only go to one, I suspect the numbers are in danger of falling below 500. That being said who knows how many cachers we will have in a couple of years time.

There is also the issue that we need more teams who are willing and able to put together a mega event. Personally I think we should try and steer away from trying to have one, two, or whatever number a year and just go with the flow. Actually, talking about going with the flow, I would like to see mega events at different times of the year, and different genre of venue, and really experiment to see what works and what does not. With such a good start it is easy to get stuck in the tracks of what we know that works, but where is the fun in that. :-)

Its not THAT bad surely? Bristol is right next to the M4/M5 and so has good access from the North and the East (probably a lot easier than Harrogate) and the South West, not to mention South Wales.

In the same way, a Mega in the Glasgow/Edinburgh corridor in 2010 would be easy to get to (and undeniably brilliant!) evn if it would be a long journey for some.

I am going by what others have said about other events around Bristol, although it is open to debate. As for Scotland, that will also be a right pain for many, not because of the roads, but because of the shear distance (and the speed cameras).

Also not all cachers drive and have cars and being close to public transport is also worth thinking about.

I don't know if that is true, but it might be. Oddly I would say that about many physical caches. Actually, what is the point of a mega event? What makes a mega event different to a normal event? Is it just the size, or are there other expectations? Mmmm (Alistair does for a philosophical think)

I don't know if that is true, but it might be. Oddly I would say that about many physical caches. Actually, what is the point of a mega event? What makes a mega event different to a normal event? Is it just the size, or are there other expectations? Mmmm (Alistair does for a philosophical think)

Yes -see where you're coming from regarding different locations. But there are other reasons for attending a mega (and not just for the icon!) One unexpected feature I enjoyed of the Mega was the retailers on site selling all things geocaching from nick nacks through to teh latest Garmin Oregon. Mmmmmmm. I thought all this was a good idea. The paperless demonstration was handy too. Even for someone who goes paperless caching anyhow.

I wish Mega 2009 well. The bar has been set high! :rolleyes:

Yes -see where you're coming from regarding different locations. But there are other reasons for attending a mega (and not just for the icon!) One unexpected feature I enjoyed of the Mega was the retailers on site selling all things geocaching from nick nacks through to teh latest Garmin Oregon. Mmmmmmm. I thought all this was a good idea. The paperless demonstration was handy too. Even for someone who goes paperless caching anyhow.

I wish Mega 2009 well. The bar has been set high! :lol:

If you really weight htings up and exclude the hype and the icon, I suspect that the ability to attract retailers is one of the few pluses of holding a bigger event. That just leaves me wondering how far I'd travel to go shopping :rolleyes:

OMG thats a long way down......... will I need a passport :lol:

Just checked for my Scottish friends

Perth to Bristol 433 miles B) might not be many Scots there then :rolleyes:

M :cool:

I would need to see how finances and dates worked out, so I don't know if I could get that far south. but we should be looking at different areas for Mega events, as long as they aren't organised right in the corners of the country. Bristol looks to be a location that will and can meet the numbers, so I will support it even if it means I may not make it.

A suggestion is that the current committee members hands over the log in details of the Mega Event committee account allowing the new organisers to use an already noticeable account!

A suggestion is that the current committee members hands over the log in details of the Mega Event committee account allowing the new organisers to use an already noticeable account!

that seems a good idea!

Bristol is pretty good for us, and gives us another excuse to visit Bath again, where we both went to Uni. Having said that, as long as it was school holidays, we'd probably make the effort and spend two weeks in scotland when it moves up there!

As for Scotland, that will also be a right pain for many, not because of the roads, but because of the shear distance (and the speed cameras).

Try telling the 10,000 or so MTBers who travel to Fort William every year for the Mtb World Cup round that it's too far... I have done it every year bar 2008 since it started in 2002 and it's not a major problem ... OK I live in Harrogate and have ahead start on a lot of folks but when I go I pootle along at 60- 70 mph where I can and make a day of the journey stopping off along the way to grab a bite to eat and maybe a cache or two.

In the past I've travelled all over the country for events of all kinds , music, mtb, football and if I'm honest my main driver has always been ..

DO I want to be there... if the answer is Yes then I start to look at ways to make the trip as doable as possible and that is what I would do for any future Mega be it in Devon/Cornwall/ South West , Kent/ South East, Wales or Scotland.

Learning from this year what I would suggest is that we all wait a while untill the folks who have offered to run an event in 2009 announce the venue and then support them as best we can.

If that means we can't go then I would suggest a shrug of the shoulders and a thought of oh well next time maybe but not posting on the forum of WHY is it there, or then....

And if we can go ... then maybe a post of support and intent would be welcome....