Here I sit fat and happy!

Well my wife keeps telling me I'm fat. True I got a good 30 pounds I could loose. I find this is the disadvantage of marrying your high school sweatheart. She knew me when I was on the swim team and she saw me really fit so she thinks I should stay that way. Well after spending the day at Cabela's looking at new gear which I wanted but knew she would kill me if I bought, I got a good idea. I told my wife if I lost the weight I would get to buy some nice gear. She agreed!

This post is two fold

1. Any suggestions on gear I should get. I'm thinking of a new shealter but open to any other goodies. I think my reward will be between $200-$400 in gear and

2. See if anyone else wants to join me to drop some pounds. We could sort of give a progress report for motivation.

Well my wife keeps telling me I'm fat. True I got a good 30 pounds I could loose. I find this is the disadvantage of marrying your high school sweatheart. She knew me when I was on the swim team and she saw me really fit so she thinks I should stay that way. Well after spending the day at Cabela's looking at new gear which I wanted but knew she would kill me if I bought, I got a good idea. I told my wife if I lost the weight I would get to buy some nice gear. She agreed!

This post is two fold

1. Any suggestions on gear I should get. I'm thinking of a new shealter but open to any other goodies. I think my reward will be between $200-$400 in gear and

2. See if anyone else wants to join me to drop some pounds. We could sort of give a progress report for motivation.

My reward is a utilikilt when I reach my goal. I'm at 69 lbs down and another 20 to go. Been at it since January. Good luck and keep at it!

I've lost 70lbs since I started geocaching. NOthing like a good hike to peel off the pounds. Keep having your friends hide new caches in hard places and you'll be at your goal before you know it. NOthing like a FTF to inspire a little exercise!

I'm going to treat myself to a new women's backpack with hydration as soon as I can decide which one! I borrowed my friend's on a recent hike and it was great... just think a women's would fit me better.

This post is two fold

My reward is a utilikilt when I reach my goal. I'm at 69 lbs down and another 20 to go. Been at it since January. Good luck and keep at it!

Took a look at these. Interesting. Just wondering if you plan on wearing this for around town or hiking? I'm trying to see the advantage of these over pants/shorts?

I've lost 70lbs since I started geocaching. NOthing like a good hike to peel off the pounds. Keep having your friends hide new caches in hard places and you'll be at your goal before you know it. NOthing like a FTF to inspire a little exercise!

I'm going to treat myself to a new women's backpack with hydration as soon as I can decide which one! I borrowed my friend's on a recent hike and it was great... just think a women's would fit me better.

I gave up geocaching for the summer. I have never been much into caches hid around town an I have no desire to hike in 115 degree heat. However after some storms have passed the last few days it has cooled things off a bit. I might get out today (a cool 100 degrees today) to place a geocoin I picked up while camping. I cant wait for the weather to cool below what I consider a dangerous temp to hike in.

This post is two fold

Took a look at these. Interesting. Just wondering if you plan on wearing this for around town or hiking? I'm trying to see the advantage of these over pants/shorts?

A little bit of both. I hike with a group that will hike in them and they do socialize in them as well. As it is also my heritage, I'm also looking into a little more formal wear as kilts go, but the utilikilt is the first goodie.

Edited by TotemLake

A guy in a kilt? Um. Hm. Advantages? Yes.

But oh. You're probably talking about the advantages for the guy, right?

:rolleyes:

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Get rid of your excess fat!

Ditch the wife. :P

;) the sad thing is if I ditched the wife the same amount of fat is still laying around the house! I dont think that woman has an ounce of fat on her which is why I skipped the argument if I lose weight then you have too and went to if I lose weight I get gear. To me its win win :P

Edited by Roadtorque

has any one used the big agnes seedhouse sl series? I am thinking between this or a clark Nx-200 hammock as my reward. Just wondering if any one can offer reviews of the BA tent

I bought the B.A. Seedhouse SL1 and used it on my 30.8 mile hiking trip to the Bruce Peninsula. It was really nice and light. But I returned it in favor of the B.A. Seedhouse SL2. That SL1 was really limited on space and when I put my pack in the vestibule it looked like some dude was overstuffing his package. Besides...I'm planning on hiking for 2 soon.

has any one used the big agnes seedhouse sl series? I am thinking between this or a clark Nx-200 hammock as my reward. Just wondering if any one can offer reviews of the BA tent

I bought the B.A. Seedhouse SL1 and used it on my 30.8 mile hiking trip to the Bruce Peninsula. It was really nice and light. But I returned it in favor of the B.A. Seedhouse SL2. That SL1 was really limited on space and when I put my pack in the vestibule it looked like some dude was overstuffing his package. Besides...I'm planning on hiking for 2 soon.

Yeah I keep kicking around which would be better the SL1 or SL2. My thought is I never go back packing by myself so thats pulling for the SL2. The fact that my wife wont go camping anywhere there is not a flushing toilet keeps here from backpacking and I dont really want to be that close in a tent with some of the guys I go with. Not shy or anything just dont want to think... if I roll over will it wake him up? I would rather be by myself so thats pulling for the SL1 or a clark hammock. Does seem like the SL1 is one of the bigger (floor plan) and lighter one man tents out there

Yeah I keep kicking around which would be better the SL1 or SL2. My thought is I never go back packing by myself so thats pulling for the SL2. The fact that my wife wont go camping anywhere there is not a flushing toilet keeps here from backpacking and I dont really want to be that close in a tent with some of the guys I go with. Not shy or anything just dont want to think... if I roll over will it wake him up? I would rather be by myself so thats pulling for the SL1 or a clark hammock. Does seem like the SL1 is one of the bigger (floor plan) and lighter one man tents out there

For me, even when roughing it, certain creature comforts are important for my sanity and morale. Although I follow safe food practices, I like keeping my gear inside the tent. With the no-trench around the tent regulation here to minimize the ecological impact of camping, I can't guarantee a sudden storm won't overwhelm the pack's capability to withstand moisture seepage. So, the tent has to be large enough to handle my oversized pad, my gear and possibly my dog. The vestibule on either side is used to expand when I need to, and cook when the weather is literally coming down in buckets. My poncho is used to act as a vestibule ground cover when the situation calls for it.

I backpack with an MSR Hubba Hubba similar in size to the SL2. I went to my local REI and set up with my expected gear bulk and oversized mat with me in it. I was looking at 1-man and 2-man tents and I found (when I was 70 lbs heavier) I needed an additional 3-4" on either side of me for when I'm on my back for my arms to rest by my side. That literally turned the tent from a 2-man to a 1.5-man or less. Just enough room for my gear and a 70 lbs dog.

Btw, the above is what keeps me thinking hammock camping will never work for me.

For me, even when roughing it, certain creature comforts are important for my sanity and morale. Although I follow safe food practices, I like keeping my gear inside the tent. With the no-trench around the tent regulation here to minimize the ecological impact of camping, I can't guarantee a sudden storm won't overwhelm the pack's capability to withstand moisture seepage. So, the tent has to be large enough to handle my oversized pad, my gear and possibly my dog. The vestibule on either side is used to expand when I need to, and cook when the weather is literally coming down in buckets. My poncho is used to act as a vestibule ground cover when the situation calls for it.

I backpack with an MSR Hubba Hubba similar in size to the SL2. I went to my local REI and set up with my expected gear bulk and oversized mat with me in it. I was looking at 1-man and 2-man tents and I found (when I was 70 lbs heavier) I needed an additional 3-4" on either side of me for when I'm on my back for my arms to rest by my side. That literally turned the tent from a 2-man to a 1.5-man or less. Just enough room for my gear and a 70 lbs dog.

Btw, the above is what keeps me thinking hammock camping will never work for me.

Yeah, although the idea of hammocks really appeal to me for camping I have a hard time making the switch (and might never) for the reason you stated. Thats one of the main reasons I'm looking at the clark over all the others. There are pockets on the bottom side to unload your pack into. This has two purposes. 1. get your gear off the ground and 2 help keep you insulated from the bottom. I realize this would leave the pack still out in the open and I dont like the idea of even an empty pack bugs can get into.

I have always felt the same about tents as you. Which is why before I ran across this tent I would have always got a 2 man tent for just myself. I just saw the BA SL1 set up at rei and when i looked inside I was shocked at how much room there appeared to be. I know looks can be deciving but it looked like I could get my pad and bag (same pad as yours(by the way I bought it based off your review and love it. People think I am crazy to lug that weight around and I just tell them to lay on it then talk!!!)) and pack into the tent with me. I might have to do the same as you and put a bunch of gear into the one at rei to see how much room there really is

Have you shacked up in the Hubba Hubba since losing weight? I'm interested to hear how you feel about it's roominess now!

michelle

Have you shacked up in the Hubba Hubba since losing weight? I'm interested to hear how you feel about it's roominess now!

michelle

Last June. I found I was able to move away from the wall of the tent more and have an even more comfortable night sleep without worrying about pressing the floor lip down to ground level.

I'm in the same boat... About 2 months ago I decided to join a gym and searched the net for an iPhone app to track my workouts. What I found was Gyminee.com, which is kind of social network for keeping fit. They had the exercise tracking that I was looking for, but more importantly (it turns out) had a food tracker where users add the caloric, fat, protein, carbs, etc content for foods. You can add recipes too.

On that first day (June 20) I put in my food intake... 200g of fat! 466mg cholesterol! Super high sodium, super low potassium, hardly any fiber... That was a wakeup call, let me tell you!

I immediately began altering my diet. First thing was to remove fried foods (I probably had french fries 3-4 times a week). Then I began removing processed foods... Obviously I can't get 100% away, but I've drastically cut the amount of high-fructose anything, so I figure that's good. I also cut out soda... I'd always been drinking diet soda, so no calories to speak of, but I did a lot of research: There's not a lot of hard evidence that current diet mixtures are harmful (that could be a long conversation thread), but there's absolutely zero evidence that they're GOOD for you... So I'm on seltzer now.

30 pounds down in those two months, and I'm on track to hit my first goal (getting my BMI into 'normal' range) by Christmas (Just another 25 to go!) and then another 25 after that to get to my ideal weight, give or take. But it'll be a party at xmas!

So if anyone wants to join me on gyminee, my page is:

http://www.gyminee.com/locker_room/28927

Oh, and the iPhone interface for the site (that started it all for me):

http://www.gyminee.com/iphone/

some motivation

Spent the weekend with the family cabin camping (yea really rough). While we were nosing around in the park/trail I noticed an aid station so being the curious type I walked over and asked what was going on - link.

Now I'm all up for an adventure and such but these folks were pushing 50 miles in 14 hours (individuals). Relay teams are permitted which got me thinking. I work out and I'm in fair shape (I can put 3.5 miles on the treadmill in 50 minutes) but I don't think I could manage any more than 15 miles before things would seize up.

I watched one guy pass me by, and well, I thought to myself if "he" can do this why can't I????

you planning on going on hikes wearing the kilt? in the woods?

you gonna wear some spandex pushbike shorts or somit simular underneath?

Yes, I will be wearing it out in the woods.

At the very least, you'll find I'll be wearing my socks and boots under it. :(

Of course, there might be some jock shorts underneath, but I'll leave you guessing on that. :huh:

This post is two fold

I got married a year ago to my HS sweetheart and for our wedding I decided to lose some weight. I joined www.sparkpeople.com and lost 30lbs in a months with their food and exercise plans. You can customize it to what you want and there are also groups that you can join as motivation groups. If you started a geocachers one, I'd definitely join!!!

Everyone likes new gear! Fun Luck!