Hardest Caches in the world?

But seriously-define hard.

Outrageous terrain with a very difficult & technical climb, or perhaps a class V or VI white water ride to the cache location, or a scuba dive into a shark infested trench?

Or is it a needle in the haystack micro that remained unfound like BK907 or Shelter II for months after being published?

Or is it a nefarious puzzle using obscure languages or specific knowledge that isn't easily found with routine google searches?

There are caches on all seven continents, so I imagine finding examples for scenario 1 won't be too hard. Simply getting to Antartica is hard enough, and finding the cache outside of Macmurdo Station might be also. There are probably some caches in Alaska, or Africa in remote locations that are hard to get to. I'm pretty sure there are some on Mont Blanc in Europe. But perhaps the caches are easy to find once you get there?

So define hard please......

Outrageous terrain with a very difficult & technical climb, or perhaps a class V or VI white water ride to the cache location, or a scuba dive into a shark infested trench?

Or is it a needle in the haystack micro that remained unfound like BK907 or Shelter II for months after being published?

Or is it a nefarious puzzle using obscure languages or specific knowledge that isn't easily found with routine google searches?

There are caches on all seven continents, so I imagine finding examples for scenario 1 won't be too hard. Simply getting to Antartica is hard enough, and finding the cache outside of Macmurdo Station might be also. There are probably some caches in Alaska, or Africa in remote locations that are hard to get to. I'm pretty sure there are some on Mont Blanc in Europe. But perhaps the caches are easy to find once you get there?

Excellent. Please, one that includes diving with sharks. Perhaps One involving obscure languages and riddles...if you know of them

Excellent. Please, one that includes diving with sharks. Perhaps One involving obscure languages and riddles...if you know of them

Much as 9Key wrote, you may wish to check out some of my Psycho Urban Caches, particularly #3, #7, #8, #9 and #14, and also Psycho Backcountry Cache #3. And for a nearly-impossible classic, in terms in terrain and insanity, check out Psycho Urban Cache #13. And, for difficult terrain plus major death, danger, disease and disgust factors, you cannot beat my Psycho Urban Cache #10. Several cachers who have searched for the cache have seriously contemplated suicide afterward because they were so grossed out by their experiences and by the various things still sticking to their skin and clothing.

You may also wish to check out my public bookmark list called something like "Extreme and Adventure Caches"

Have fun!

GCG822, still not found after 6 years. I'll buy you a beer if you get this one...

How do you know if it is still there?

Is it your cache?

Nope, not mine (tho' I'd love to grab it), checked the logs for its status... This is a real cache placed by a very well known icon in the computer gaming world who used a Soviet MIR sub to place a cache 1.4 miles down near a hydrothermal vent. There is one log entry for DNF but I think its bogus. Happy Caching!

Edited by The Unpleasables

GCG822, still not found after 6 years. I'll buy you a beer if you get this one...

Is it your cache?

Nope, not mine (tho' I'd love to grab it), checked the logs for its status... This is a real cache placed by a very well known icon in the computer gaming world who used a Soviet MIR sub to place a cache 1.4 miles down near a hydrothermal vent. There is one log entry for DNF but I think its bogus. Happy Caching!

could you send me the link please? I am having trouble finding it

Is it your cache?

could you send me the link please? I am having trouble finding it

Here's the link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0e-4488a098105d

Here's the Wikipedia link about Lord British, you can follow the links to the actual man (Garrett) who placed the cache: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_british

Happy Hunting!

Edited by The Unpleasables

This

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4d-a05cd76362e3

is by far the hardest cache I have attempted. I WILL finish at some point although it is much tougher as I have moved out of the town now. Be sure to read all the logs for good entertainment. This is not ridiculus extreme such as 1.4 mi deep by a geothermal vent. However, by any account is a TRUE 5/5 without the need for special equipment.

I'm convinced the Rainbow Hydrothermal Vent cache will never be found. A micro sitting on the bottom of the ocean for over six years, is unfindable. If the micro is near a live vent, then it is buried. If their is an underwater current, then it has been swept away.

I would love to be proven wrong. :huh:

One of the best puzzles I've found, that was years ahead of it's time is the dragonfly scroll.