finding caches on a road trip.

Second easiest way will take some time...find any cache along the way, under the map in the middle of the cache page click the geocaching google map. You'll see icons for caches. Zoom out and follow your route. From there do what you'd normally do, print, load into your gps, whatever.

I do a combination of both. I setup a PQ of my route and then look at it in the Google Maps preview and cherry pick the caches we want to find. Simply having a cache be .5 miles from the highway doesn't mean it's a quick on and off. We did one like that once, but the exit was 5 miles up the road, and then a 5 mile ride back to the cache. Picking them manually eliminates that.

I'm not a premium member yet, which I keep saying I'll do... but that's a whole different subject.

But I've done what TMDMom suggested and it wasn't really that difficult but probably a little more time consuming than using the Premium Member feature that geocaching.com offers.

But I wanted to offer you a tip. When planning these caches along a route, if you find there is more than one in a particular area, try adding a few (or all) because if you just load the one and then can't find it, kind of makes it feel like it's a waste of a stop (at least for me). I liked having the options of choosing a bunch of different caches along the way!

Have fun and I'd love to see the map of your finds!

Ditto. But, let me add that I try to pick caches where there is a natural stopping point, say every 40 to 80 miles or so. Then I look for a spot that is easy to get on or off the highway. You must distinguish between making a caching run where you end up somewhere different and a road trip that gives you a chance to grab a few caches as a distraction. Also, target areas you are unlikely to visit again.