A track record of missing trackables?

gw89020

I just dropped off two trackables at a cache I chose mainly for its proximity to a major Interstate, in the hopes of helping them move along. But when I went to log the drops, I noticed that three other trackables have gone missing from this cache in the last 6 months or so.

My question is - could this indicate that this cache is a trap, and that someone may be snagging attractive geocoins and other objects from it? Or is it not unusual for a TB or geocoin to "disappear" for a few months until it surfaces again somewhere else?

I'm wondering whether I should go back and retrieve the trackables I dropped, and place them somewhere that might be safer...

How many trackables move through that cache in 6months time? If its 50-100, then 3 missing isn't too bad. Trackables also do get misplaced from time to time and then re-appear months later. I've been guilty of that before. I think the bigger worry is that the cache isn't located in such a location that it would be muggled or otherwise discovered and then stolen along with all the bugs in it.

We own two interstate rest area caches. While they do move a *lot* of bugs through them, they do seem to have a higher rate of bug "attrition" than other caches we own. That's TB's. Coins it seems vanish at a 2:1 ratio to bugs. I've seen so many coins go missing that I almost don't hunt them anymore simply because I hate being the last cacher to acknowledge having had my hands on them. When I do move them it's usually into multi's and higher rated caches that don't have a drive-by component and attract the more dedicated cachers. most of the high rated diff/terr caches out there seem to attract a "better" clientele IMHO.

-Roger

Three missing trackables in the last six months, and the cache itself is still in good shape?

I wouldn't panic.

An easily accessible cache will by nature attract newer cachers who might not know what to do with a coin or TB.

For some reason that is still a mystery to me, Geocoins tend to go missing a lot more often than TBs. I would like to think it is because the tracking number is less obvious, but that is wishful thinking. Too many cases where there are no logs between the 'dropped the coin' log and the 'didn't see any coin here' log.

Nobody wants to be the last one to drop a traveler in 'the wrong cache', but there is no way to predict what might happen.