what do you carry with you

gobogey

I have always been a gear head. I like to be prepared. what does everybody take with them

pack- Mountiansmith recycled tour pak

small coppertone

small repel

AA batteries

matches

compass

map of area

sunglasses

power bars

two Nalgen bottles

multi tool

parachute chord

plastic bag

pen/paper

sony cyber-shot camera

"home made" min first aid kit

rain jacket/pants tied around waist if needed

It all depends on where I'm caching, but I try to go as light as possible. If they caches are a mile or less, I just bring my GPS and chuck my palm and a pen in my pocket.

If I'm doing a multi mile trek, I'll bring:

Camelbak M.U.L.E. 100 liter pack

GPS

Palm

Pen

Spare batteries

Alcohol wipes (work great for wiping of PI oil)

Band-aids

Blackberry phone

AA LED Maglite flashlight

Maybe:

Camera

Bug spray

Camelbak M.U.L.E. 100 liter pack

Wow, that must be heavy! :laughing:

I live in a fairly remote and isolated area (60 miles to the nearest hospital by road), so I always carry a pack when I am out and about in the desert, geocaching or not:

First aid kit

Sunscreen

Hand sanitzer

Multi-tool

Flashlight

Compass

Spare batteries

Kitchen garbage bags

Toilet paper

Baby wipes

Duct tape

Spotting scope

Point-and-shoot camera

Notebook and pencils

Wide-brim hat

Windproof lighter

Bandanas

Snakebite kit (Sawyer extractor)

Whistle

Parachute cord

100 oz. of water (also carry 2 gal. in vehicle)

Power bars (2,000 calories total)

In addition, I carry my GPSr, a knife, a firearm, sunglasses, leather gloves, etc. on my person.

I have always been a gear head. I like to be prepared. what does everybody take with them

pack- Mountiansmith recycled tour pak

small coppertone

small repel

AA batteries

matches

compass

map of area

sunglasses

power bars

two Nalgen bottles

multi tool

parachute chord

plastic bag

pen/paper

sony cyber-shot camera

"home made" min first aid kit

rain jacket/pants tied around waist if needed

If out on a trail for any length of time:

Small cheap cloth backpack with:

several small maglight type flashlights

spare pair of socks

batteries

swag

pocket pc

multi-tool

knife

small bottle of bug spray

small plastic baggies

several pens

rubber bands

medical alcohol wipes

a notepad, maybe two

lighters

black tape

100 feet of nylon camping cord

2 cheap .99c clear plastic ponchos for rain and tent

1 20oz bottle of water.

On my person, Blackberry camera phone, another knife, Glock 17, GPSr, canteen, and a grey Fedora.

If needed, I'll figure out a water strategy when that obstacle comes up.

What's a "nalgen bottle". Perhaps i need some.

Nalgene is a name brand for a hard plastic (almost unbreakable) bottle available from many sporting good stores. They are commonly used to hold both water and other foods.

However, there is a link between #7 plastics (what Nalgene bottles are made from) and cancer. Canada is considering a ban on all #7 bottles.

That said, Nalgene is phasing out use of the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) - the chemical known to cause caner - from it's bottles over the next several months.

bagii1yd.jpg

I pack the above case from GPS Outfitters, filled with:

• GPS
  • Digital Camera
  • Mini Mag Light
  • Spare AA Batteries
  • Screen cleaninng wipes
  • Pens/ Mini Sharpie marker
  • Lighter
  • Misc small items, sometimes TB's, coins, etc...

I used a carabiner clip to attach it to my belt loop. For longer hikes I'll actually put it on my belt to keep it from swinging around as I walk.

Nalgene is a name brand for a hard plastic (almost unbreakable) bottle available from many sporting good stores. They are commonly used to hold both water and other foods.

However, there is a link between #7 plastics (what Nalgene bottles are made from) and cancer. Canada is considering a ban on all #7 bottles.

That said, Nalgene is phasing out use of the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) - the chemical known to cause caner - from it's bottles over the next several months.

For this reason, many people have gone to the aluminum sports bottles (Sigg, Oggi, etc.) which seem to have become fashionable office/gym accessories. Personally, I prefer a Camelbak - they are insulated to keep your beverage of choice cold (or warm).

Edited by gw89020

One thing I find funny is that a couple of us have listed "alcohol wipes".

What's funny about alcohol wipes?

They work great to remove poison ivy/oak/sumac from the skin and to disinfect cuts and scrapes..

I"m also not saying this to be antagonistic.. Just asking is all..

A towel.

THIS.

Im from Arizona, and lived in Colorado. Not used to this humidity and its funny how that affects what you carry.

My List:

GPS

Sunscreen

Bug juice

Extendable Snowshoe poles (for spiderwebs/brush movement)

Swedish FireSteel

Batteries

Protien Bars

Camel back 3L

Nagen bottle

Leatherman

First Aid kit (compression bandage, Gauze, Scissors)

Logbook

Camera

Rain jacket >1oz

Gaiters

extra socks

Cell phone/radio

Good pair of gloves

If I am going deep add:

Tent

Sleeping bag

Rope (10.5mm x 60m Non-Dry Rope)+rope bag

Ascender

Figure 8

Few other things I cant remember since they havent been pulled in awhile. (cry)

Most of my caching so far has been pretty mild, so I don't need the tougher hiking gear. That said, of course, I look forward to going after the caches that do require a bit more hiking.

Anyway, my gear's pretty light. Generally, it's as follows, all packed up hastily in an old German messenger pack I got from the local military surplus store:

• map
  • cache information sheets
  • GPSr
  • various and sundry trade items
  • water bottle
  • 2 backup batteries
  • rag for cleaning wet caches
  • plastic bags for CITO-ing

I also carry my camera around my neck and a pen and mini-Leatherman in my pocket.

Like I said, I'm missing a lot of the really important stuff for rugged caching because my caching hasn't expanded into "rugged" territory yet. :D

I carry all of my gear in a Maxpedition Remora w/ bottle carrier

Garmin Colorado 400t

GI lensatic compass

CRKT M1 Lightfoot knife

Cell phone

2 pens

Sharpie

Nalgene 32oz bottle

Pour-in drink mixes

Power bar or two

Rite in the Rain logbook

Poison ivy wipes

Bullfrog insect repellent/sunscreen

Surefire E2E flashlight

Extra batteries for GPSr, Flashlight

Forceps

Pocket Medic

FRS radio

Ziplok baggies and zipties (for repairing caches)

If I am going outside the normal, suburban/urban hunting ground, I usually take my USGS map and a protractor. I always have my dependable boonie hat and sweat rag/bandanna also.

www.maxpedition.com

www.adventuremedicalkits.com

www.riteintherain.com

Edited by lurch651

For this reason, many people have gone to the aluminum sports bottles (Sigg, Oggi, etc.) which seem to have become fashionable office/gym accessories. Personally, I prefer a Camelbak - they are insulated to keep your beverage of choice cold (or warm).

The new Nalgene BPA free bottles are on the store shelves now.

I always keep my GPS in hand, but my backpack is filled with various items, including but not limited to:

Cache info pages

extra pens and pencils

extra log sheets

First Aid Kit

small Mag Lite

extra AA batteries for GPS and flashlight

multi-tool (useful for removing logs from micro caches, among other things)

recycled plastic shopping bags for CITO and another to keep trade items seperate

swiss army knife

cell phone

treking poles for hiking steep grades, as well as clearing overhanging brush and making sure hollow logs don't house biting critters

water bottles

They work great to remove poison ivy/oak/sumac from the skin and to disinfect cuts and scrapes..

Nothing. I love them and carry them for the exact same reasons, but I have friends who laugh at me. Well, until they accidentally step into a patch of poison ivy and want to wipe down their legs. :blink:

I didn't realize that so many people carried them.

Personally, I prefer a Camelbak - they are insulated to keep your beverage of choice cold (or warm).

I didn't realize how well they insulated until this weekend. I left mine in a hot car. Came back after an hour bike ride and took a drink. The water in the tube was hot, but once I drank that little bit, the water inside the pack itself was still chilly.

Nothing. I love them and carry them for the exact same reasons, but I have friends who laugh at me. Well, until they accidentally step into a patch of poison ivy and want to wipe down their legs. :D

A good portion of hikers /campers who get diarhea get it from fecal bacteria, not from drinking bad water. Alcohol wipes, and hand santizer are a great addition to proper handwashing techniques.

Nothing. I love them and carry them for the exact same reasons, but I have friends who laugh at me. Well, until they accidentally step into a patch of poison ivy and want to wipe down their legs. :(

They DO come in handy! :D:(

I didn't realize how well they insulated until this weekend. I left mine in a hot car. Came back after an hour bike ride and took a drink. The water in the tube was hot, but once I drank that little bit, the water inside the pack itself was still chilly.

In hot weather climates like where I live, the Camelbak "thermal control kit" (an insulated cover for the drinking tube) fixes that problem, and the first few sips are much more refreshing.

Unless it's an all day hike I don't take much. I have a little waist pack with a map, compass, a pen or two, a dollar store quality calculator if I am doing a multi and need to calculate the next spot, some insect repellent, a hiking stick, a multi-tool which I can't remember ever needing, and a flashlight which sometimes helps in shadowy spots, and a camera. If it's a longer hike I carry a liter or two of water and maybe a bit of food. Usually a map, compass, and pen is enough.

a7b6be43-239a-4cc9-b3ee-3d16bb39c95c.jpg