The Hornet (Lactodorum as was)

Just Jacking in the money side John..

Phew, you had me worried for a second there Moss.

Obviously this is an unfortunate incident, but am I correct in my assumption that someone made a judgement call on a posting and acted on an interpretation of the rules not knowing the user? We can debate the rules/guidelines, or the interpretation of them, but is that not a another argument (or debate, depending on how much shouting there is). I don't think it is fare that we criticise for disrespecting Lacto Peter Hornet because I suspect when the decision was made no one knew exactly who he was. I would like to think that a quick email would have sorted things. Actually I would like to think that a quick polite email would sort things for any user who is not a repeat offender, but perhaps I am living in cloud cuckoo land.

Just for an hour would do

....but a few weeks would be better. B)

Sorry Mandy, we love you really, honest.

I'll see you at The Teddy Bears Picnic..... :cool: ...........if not I know where you live :grin:

I was wondering what would constitute a one hour ban :cool:

Do you reckon if I told ducky she had webbed feet :rolleyes::lol:

M :lol:

I think a better way to get a ban would be to go directly against the wishes of a moderator. For example, after being asked to stay of topic going off and talking about something else.

That reminds me, I am afraid I am not going to be able to make it to the picnic. Not only are both of us off the road at the moment (I miss my little car), but we are also doing the radio coverage for Newcaslte's Green Gathering over the whole weekend. I can still try and borrow the large gazebo again if you would like it.

Now, what were we talking about?

I think a better way to get a ban would be to go directly against the wishes of a moderator. For example, after being asked to stay of topic going off and talking about something else.

That reminds me, I am afraid I am not going to be able to make it to the picnic. Not only are both of us off the road at the moment (I miss my little car), but we are also doing the radio coverage for Newcaslte's Green Gathering over the whole weekend. I can still try and borrow the large gazebo again if you would like it.

Now, what were we talking about?

I always do as I am told/asked B)

Shame you two cant make it :cool: Will let you know about marquee :rolleyes:

A geocaching event we still on topic :cool:

M :lol:

I was wondering what would constitute a one hour ban :lol:

Do you reckon if I told ducky she had webbed feet B):cool:

M :rolleyes:

I reckon just the lack of respect is worth several hours.

If a reviewer, who I am sure doesn't carry as much weight in the forum as a moderator, should be refered to by their full title (I refer to Graculus, of course) then I feel that a moderator in the forum should receive the respect that their position demands.

So in future, please address our most honourable and respected mod as 'mandarin'.

Else Nogbad's gonna get ya! (an' that's before Thor Nogson puts ya away)

I was wondering what would constitute a one hour ban :grin:

Do you reckon if I told ducky she had webbed feet :lol:;)

M :o

I reckon just the lack of respect is worth several hours.

If a reviewer, who I am sure doesn't carry as much weight in the forum as a moderator, should be refered to by their full title (I refer to Graculus, of course) then I feel that a moderator in the forum should receive the respect that their position demands.

So in future, please address our most honourable and respected mod as 'mandarin'.

Else Nogbad's gonna get ya! (an' that's before Thor Nogson puts ya away)

Oh and there were no smileys in there Tommy I feel well and truly told off :rolleyes:

Else Nogbad's gonna get ya! (an' that's before Thor Nogson puts ya away) aye right......whatever he said :lol:

The forums mods and revs have always been shortened had daft nick names, I dont think it showed disrespect at all, I think it was more friendly (plus there names were too long to type after several glasses of red :cool:B) )

I know Graculus has specifically asked not to be shortened, did ducky ask too, because if she did I missed that, and I certainly mean no disrespect to her :cool:

M :o

Edited for spelling too many glasses of red ;)B)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I know Graculus has specifically asked not to be shortened, did ducky ask too, because if she did I missed that, and I certainly mena no disrespect to her B)

M :cool:

Oops! Did I forget the smileys?

Ne'er mind, you wuz well un truly told off anywayz.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. :grin::rolleyes::lol:

Jus cuz mandarin came frum the 'umble beginnins uv a char lady doe mean that 'er new loftid pozishun doe dezerve been refered to royt. Royt?

Gorrit!

P :cool:

I have been quietly watching this thread through the evening: I am happy for it to remain open as long as it stays on topic and the posts are civil.

Thank you.

mandarin

The topic for this thread is in the first post. Please do as your moderator requested and either stay on that topic or do not post in this thread. We would prefer to leave this thread open but if it continues to stray off topic it will be closed. Please respect your moderator's request and do as she has asked.

Thank you.

Edited by Michael

So to summarise:

The Hornet posts an 50% off-topic post in the Geocoins forum.

Eartha goes against the rules and guidelines of the forum and offers him no warning and slaps him with a 3 day ban.

No action is taken against Eartha.

Eartha is a pousy gvant-haired succled gnarted schoom.

Is that about right?

Andy

Edited to remove offensive word. This is unacceptable behaviour on this Forum.

mandarin

Edited by Andy&BeckyRiley

I've been away far too long!

Who's Mandarin and Graculus?

:rolleyes:

Ditto.........I stay off the forum for a couple on months and all hell breaks loose again!!! Eckers and Lackers had resigned last time.

Who the hell are Mandarin and Graculus? I didn't receive the letter or have the training course!!

The reason I don't visit this forum as much as I use to is because I had a slight suspicion that some, not all, but some of you lovely people out there take this 'Geocaching' lark far too seriously, IT'S TUPPERWARE for God's sake!!! And what happened to 'The Hornet' sort of makes my slight suspicion a HUMUNGOUS one.

I'll be back in September by which time some other major event should have happened. MAJOR........BOY! I'm taking this too seriously NOW!

So to summarise:

Eartha goes against the rules and guidelines of the forum and offers him no warning and slaps him with a 3 day ban.

Eartha is a <removed by Moderator>.

Is that about right?

Andy

mandarin

Correct.

And a fair proportion of what has followed on the last 5 pages (when it stayed on topic) has been a result of the UK equivalent of the behaviour/attitudes alluded to by Andy before Mandarin edited the word out.

Some people seem to live in a confused world where the Forum rates equally or higher than the actual geocaching...

Yes, there has been, and will no doubt continue to be, some quite ridiculous (by acceptable UK standards) decision making by GSP personnel, volunteer or otherwise, BUT, what is the relevance to finding plastic/metal boxes?

Dare I suggest ... None.

If the Forums were switched off, would it affect the ability to cache... No.

Is use of the Forums a privilege of Premium Membership... No.

Let's just get out there and cache :rolleyes:

Incidentally - I fully support Mandarin's editing :lol: , since whilst I think Andy was using the word in the following definition

On certain Usenet groups, "******" can be used to refer to Americans in general, especially those who exhibit "ugly American"** tendencies. The term is derived from an approximation of the pronunciation of the word "American".

its not the standard definition, so was not appropriate to this Forum which is much more 'family friendly' than most.

"Ugly American" is an epithet used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home. Although the term is usually associated with or applied to travellers and tourists, it also applies to US corporate businesses in the international arena.

So to summarise:

Eartha is a <removed by Moderator>.

Is that about right?

Andy

mandarin

Correct.

And a fair proportion of what has followed on the last 5 pages (when it stayed on topic) has been a result of the UK equivalent of the behaviour/attitudes alluded to by Andy before Mandarin edited the word out.

Some people seem to live in a confused world where the Forum rates equally or higher than the actual geocaching...

Yes, there has been, and will no doubt continue to be, some quite ridiculous (by acceptable UK standards) decision making by GSP personnel, volunteer or otherwise, BUT, what is the relevance to finding plastic/metal boxes?

Dare I suggest ... None.

If the Forums were switched off, would it affect the ability to cache... No.

Is use of the Forums a privilege of Premium Membership... No.

Let's just get out there and cache :huh:

Incidentally - I fully support Mandarin's editing :) , since whilst I think Andy was using the word in the following definition

On certain Usenet groups, "******" can be used to refer to Americans in general, especially those who exhibit "ugly American"** tendencies. The term is derived from an approximation of the pronunciation of the word "American".

its not the standard definition, so was not appropriate to this Forum which is much more 'family friendly' than most.

"Ugly American" is an epithet used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home. Although the term is usually associated with or applied to travellers and tourists, it also applies to US corporate businesses in the international arena.

Sorry you are wrong. I was using <edited> in the English dictionary sense meaning "<edited by Forum Moderator>". No offence was meant to our American cousins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/edited

Andy

Once again, unacceptable language for this forum.

mandarin

Edited by mandarin

Sorry you are wrong. I was using M***** in the English dictionary sense meaning "************". No offence was meant to our American cousins

Andy

My edit of the quote to remove the offensive terms ...

OK, so I shouldn't have given you the benefit of the doubt, you were making a scurrilous personal attack on the person concerned and therefore pushing your luck, as indeed you are still doing...

:huh:

Just a short week ago I, along with over 900 others, attended a celebration of UK geocaching in Harrogate.

The highlight for me was to be called up to the stage, with Peter and DaveP, and be presented with a handsome token of thanks for 4 1/2 years work for UK cachers. (A second highlight was wandering around afterwards filling said token and having it filled for me and chatting to friends in the UK community, new and old.) It seemed everything was very positive in the caching UK.

I returned home from our holiday in Devon to this furore.

I am unable to ascertain the exact sequence of events as I cannot seem to access the thread on the geocoin forum that started it all but it appears that the gist of it, somewhat abridged, went something like this.

(I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.)

Peter offered to swap some calendars for coins in the coin forum. This does not seem to be contra the rules of a forum where coins are often and openly swapped or sold - and the "C" words is sometimes, I believe mentioned.

As a result he was given a summary 3 day ban (if you wish to semanticise suspension).

My recollection of the code or protocol for dealing with forum misdemeanours is:

1) Informal warning per thread or PM

2) Increase warning meter to 10% with explanatory PM quoting post.

3) For repeated violations a 3 day ban.

Can I ask a senior member of GSP to explain to the UK community as a whole why this protocol was not followed?

The action of the moderator immediately withdrew Peter's right of reply - such an action is what might be expected of a totalitarian organisation or malignant dictatorship - and when he then tried to explain posting as his old alter ego Lactodorum, that account was terminated.

Perhaps he should have not used his old reviewer account in this way - but, as I pointed out, his right of reply had been curtailed.

Again I challenge a senior representative of GSP to explain the actions taken and if they, as I believe they should, realise a mistake has been made, issue an apology to "The Hornet" for the shabby treatment he has recieved.

Finally remember the "Wow" that was the UK's first Mega Event, and get that "Wow" back into a sadly over regulated forum.

Dave

Unacceptable language for this forum?

A?

P****?

H***?

W**?

U***?

B*?

L*****?

P**********?

Please let me know which of these words are unacceptable and I will avoid their use in the future?

Andy

my guess would be [aha], [that one too] and perhaps [maybe] but I'm no expert on these things... :huh:

edited to amend the quote. all of the words, 'just in case'

Edited by AgentProvocateur

Can I ask a senior member of GSP to explain to the UK community as a whole why this protocol was not followed?

Again I challenge a senior representative of GSP to explain the actions taken and if they, as I believe they should, realise a mistake has been made, issue an apology to "The Hornet" for the shabby treatment he has recieved.

Dave

:) :) LMFAO, Just looked out my window and saw the squadron of pink pigs, all fuelled up and ready to fly :D:D

Good try Dave, I emailed Jeremy 2 days ago and the reply i got was this......................

Yep...Nothing, they don't give a flying fish :huh:

And yes it is a sock puppet account :)

Unacceptable language for this forum?

A?

P****?

H***?

W**?

U***?

B*?

L*****?

P**********?

Please let me know which of these words are unacceptable and I will avoid their use in the future?

Andy

my guess would be [aha], [that one too] and perhaps [maybe] but I'm no expert on these things... :huh:

edited to amend the quote. all of the words, 'just in case'

You run the risk by not censoring 'A'!

This thread is getting out of control. I wanted to leave it open for the Hornet to respond but peoples actions are now to the point where I don't feel it can be left open until then. I am closing this thread for 24 hours. At the end of that time it will be reopened with the understanding that people behave and act like adults. If not it will be closed again and not reopened. Please do not open another thread on this subject during this time.

mandarin