The Hornet (Lactodorum as was)

Yesterday Peter very kindly offered to do me a thread on the Geocoins forum advertising my unsold calendars......... :wub:

Wait I know what your going to say ....

I don't really do coins but if I see a dog coin I like then I will buy them just to keep for myself

Peter said that I had a few calendars left over to sell or that I would be willing to swap them for dog coins, I noticed last night that the thread had been closed :) and after an email this morning I have found out he is on a 3 day ban, but worse of all a 3 day ban with no warning :laughing:

I think this is very unfair, we can not even do a good turn and help each other out now without getting a ban.

First Moss Trooper now The Hornet :wub:

Mandy (no smiley cos I'm not happy)

If I posted what I really felt about this then I'd probably get a ban too!

Truly disgusting after all Peter has done for GS.

Seconded! :laughing::):)

Thirded :D:wub::wub:

The amount of work he has put in has been phenomenal. I don't post over much in the forums but I'll not be posting anything again and I'll stick to just finding tupperware instead. If we're still allowed to use their satellites.

Edited to say I was a bit hasty saying I wasn't going to post again. I think I'll try for a ban instead :D

Edited by jerryo

We'll have to get him a banned coin sent out...

Welcome to the way of the coin forums. They are moderated to the extreme with no wiggleroom whatsoever. I was banned for posting an OT thread of my happiness of finally getting a job and someone added a cointest to it for me, but that didn't matter.

I guess that they figured that since he is a former moderator he should have "known better."

Sucks.

Naomi :laughing:

Yesterday Peter very kindly offered to do me a thread on the Geocoins forum advertising my unsold calendars......... :wub:

Wait I know what your going to say ....

I don't really do coins but if I see a dog coin I like then I will buy them just to keep for myself

Peter said that I had a few calendars left over to sell or that I would be willing to swap them for dog coins, I noticed last night that the thread had been closed :) and after an email this morning I have found out he is on a 3 day ban, but worse of all a 3 day ban with no warning :laughing:

I think this is very unfair, we can not even do a good turn and help each other out now without getting a ban.

First Moss Trooper now The Hornet :wub:

Mandy (no smiley cos I'm not happy)

A three day ban on posting on these forums!! What a hardship!

Given all the unpaid, unsung, (in the US), work that Peter has done for Geocaching in the UK, I am sure he will welcome the break.

Folks remember, these edicts are devised, "implemented", by people, 75% of whom do not even have a passport.............

Neil

Folks remember, these edicts are devised, "implemented", by people, 75% of whom do not even have a passport.............

You've been to Groundspeak HQ and counted have you?

No need, it's a widely published fact that only 26% of American Citizens have passports.

See http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/co...ssports_issued/

for example.

Andy

And how appliccable (and indeed how relevant) is that stat to the staff at Groundspeak?

:laughing::wub::wub:

Another example by Groundspeak of how NOT to moderate a forum. I bet if anyone in this thread was banned from discussions they wouldn't particularly care (I know I wouldn't) - which is an indication in itself. The UK forums on here should be THRIVING and by that I mean several hundred posts per day. I've had experience running forums for (for example) Dave Spikey - unofficially. Ie, the chap who played Jerry St Clair in Phoenix Nights. Not a major star, but the posting rate on there was far, far in excess of what we have here. The regional forums - not just GAGB, but the others, too, shouldn't really get a look in, but they are positively vibrant. Again, no coincidence.

By removing what you see as the problem (ie, the Hornet posting in the wrong place or at all), you're actually alienating a great many people.

Basic forum rules advice from a trusted source on the net (which I and many other experienced forum admins would no doubt concur with) :

OK so that discussion has gone way out of hand so it's better to delete it and make it go away, right?

Nope, sorry no such luck.

People visit your forums because they want to, not because they have to. And as such, the second you start imposing rules and in particular, censorship, people will not be happy!

So it's important to maintain a viable community that you and your moderators show a degree of subtlety when moderating posts. Generally, if a discussion requires noticeable moderation, then chances are that it's pretty heated. People comment because they want to have their say and if you take that away from them....well....it won't be pleasant!

When to lock a thread

When it degenerates into mud slinging

When the same arguments are made over and over

When people are getting offended

When the subject is completely off topic from the original subject

When all new posts are nonsense (applicable to threads that were initially informative)

It is advisable that when you lock a topic, you make the final post in the thread giving your reasons for doing so. It's really not a good idea to simply lock a thread with no reason given - it will leave the participants feeling uncertain about their own actions, even if they haven't done anything wrong.

In the same respect, if you or your moderators make changes to a post (ie you remove a brand name or URL), then you should add a comment to the end of it saying why.

Basically, whenever moderating a forum you have to be able to justify your actions in the interests of the entire community.

Forum moderation should be a welcoming thing, to encourage return visits and repeat postings. In other words, 99% help and guidance, and 1% enforcement. Not beating good people over the head with a big stick constantly because something isn't in the right hole.

Groundspeak - this is to you, Jeremy - PLEASE sort your forum mods out. They are doing your great website a MAJOR disservice!

Edited by PopUpPirate

No need, it's a widely published fact that only 26% of American Citizens have passports.

for example.

Andy

And how appliccable (and indeed how relevant) is that stat to the staff at Groundspeak?

Well, I'm not a statistician, but assuming that Groundspeak staff are a representative sample of the US population, then it is a reasonable assumption that 26% of them have passports.

Of course, being interested in GPS, it's possible (I would say probable) that a higher proportion of them are interested in travel and would therefore have passports.

I think that the original comment was designed to highlight the opinion that Groundspeak aren't particularly interested in anythign non-us-centric.

I personally feel that getting banned for a possibly inadvisable forum post is a little extreme.

for example.

Andy

Well given that Groundspeak staff are American, I'd say it was very applicable (one c), and quite relevant. Of course you didn't need that explaining as you were simply being obtuse for the sake of it.

Andy

The way that it is done in the coin forums, sadly, is that if a topic is not related to the trading, selling, or discussing of coins it is considered OT. Apparently trading calendars for coins fell under that.

Sadly, the coin forums are moderated very, very heavyhanded. People are given the 3 day boot for everything from their signature to posting OT.

Bryan has been spoken with about it, but apparently backs his moderators fully as thusfar nothing has been done.

I don't see a change in the future, which sucks...and, as in the UK forums, has resulted in a side forum being created here... http://geocoins.easyphpbb.com/index.php

Hopefully posting that won't get ME banned (again, last time was for posting I got a job, a totally happy post) as it has gotten folks banned for having it linked in their signature lines before.

Jess, you're welcome to go there and post a thread about trading your calendars for coins without trouble!

Naomi :laughing:

The way that it is done in the coin forums, sadly, is that if a topic is not related to the trading, selling, or discussing of coins it is considered OT. Apparently trading calendars for coins fell under that.

Sadly, the coin forums are moderated very, very heavyhanded. People are given the 3 day boot for everything from their signature to posting OT.

Bryan has been spoken with about it, but apparently backs his moderators fully as thusfar nothing has been done.

I don't see a change in the future, which sucks...and, as in the UK forums, has resulted in a side forum being created here... http://geocoins.easyphpbb.com/index.php

Hopefully posting that won't get ME banned (again, last time was for posting I got a job, a totally happy post) as it has gotten folks banned for having it linked in their signature lines before.

Jess, you're welcome to go there and post a thread about trading your calendars for coins without trouble!

Naomi :D

We seem to have gone from sublime to absolutely ridiculous in 3 months :D

I know we have a bit of heated banter and we some times push our luck :laughing: but these forums have been run by UK mods for is it 6 years now without any major problems :wub:

Now that TPTB have stepped in and are ruling us with a metal rod it has all gone horibbly wrong B) I think the worst of it is that we actually dont know why all of this happened as we have never had a proper explanation from GSP :)

I am heading back to the Scottish forums too :) I dont have to sit for 10 mins to think about what I am going to write over there. :wub:

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

:laughing::wub::wub:

Another example by Groundspeak of how NOT to moderate a forum.

<< SNIP >>

Groundspeak - this is to you, Jeremy - PLEASE sort your forum mods out. They are doing your great website a MAJOR disservice!

Very well put PUP, perhaps this should be posted somewhere were Jeremy (and the rest of his team) might see it, mind you you might risk a ban :) .

An appalling way to treat anyone, let alone a well respected member of the community, it seems as if GSP want us to move to GAGB Forum

Boo, and indeed, Hiss. Offering to swap something for coins seems like reasonable behaviour on a coin forum to me. If it wasn't, I'd expect a word of warning and a polite request not to be so 'wild and crazy' in future. A 3 day ban seems a tad disproportionate. Groundspeak overreacting? Who'd have thought it... :wub:

In a similar spirit of offering an item for exchange, I'll print up some 'Free The Geocoin-Forum One' t-shirts and will happily swap them for '2005 Thanks Groundspeak Volunteers!' geocoins :wub::laughing:

I don't care if I get Banned.

Big daddy USA flexing muscles again? This is getting pathetic :wub:

Why do we as a 'sensible' formu with more 'hits' than any Geocaching Nation (Bar US) have to bow down time after time to some of the STUPID RULES laid down from over the pond.

They will have us eating burgers and drinking fizzy black stuff (Not the holy stout) whilst out caching soon.

Almost had enough - time for EUROPECACHE.COM to try and take off and scrub the USA version.

More bacon sarnies, pasties, warm beer, roast beef and chicken tikka whilst caching.

Sell what you want, swap what you want SAY WHAT YOU WANT.

Rule Brittania I say :laughing:

I will go and lie down in a dark room to chill out.

Look forward to my ban :):)

FBC :wub:

Well given that Groundspeak staff are American, I'd say it was very applicable (one c), and quite relevant. Of course you didn't need that explaining as you were simply being obtuse for the sake of it.

Not at all, fail to see the slightest relevance of the percentage of the total US population who hold passports to a minor dispute over a Geocoin forum. Regardless of where the forum is based.

I suppose it could have been a childish bit of anti-Americanism, but I can't believe we'd ever see that here. :laughing:

I don't care if I get Banned.

Big daddy USA flexing muscles again? This is getting pathetic :wub:

Why do we as a 'sensible' formu with more 'hits' than any Geocaching Nation (Bar US) have to bow down time after time to some of the STUPID RULES laid down from over the pond.

They will have us eating burgers and drinking fizzy black stuff (Not the holy stout) whilst out caching soon.

Almost had enough - time for EUROPECACHE.COM to try and take off and scrub the USA version.

More bacon sarnies, pasties, warm beer, roast beef and chicken tikka whilst caching.

Sell what you want, swap what you want SAY WHAT YOU WANT.

Rule Brittania I say :laughing:

I will go and lie down in a dark room to chill out.

Look forward to my ban :):)

FBC :wub:

Your extraordinary rant seems to be ignore the fact that the Geocoin forum is an international forum with a pretty clear set of guidelines.

We can whinge and moan and whinge and moan some more...but as we stand at the moment TPTB have us by the short and curlies :laughing: and they know that :wub:

We will say yes Sir no Sir three bags full Sir ............ they will say JUMP, and we will say how high Sir

But one day some clever techy people will create a new UK name for Geocaching and will open up a huge website and new forums and the Uk Geocachers will be ran by the UK

Can't come too soon :wub:

How many members does GSP have in UK? I was just wondering what kind of revenue they received from us on a yearly basis.....

Mandy :)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I suppose it could have been a childish bit of anti-Americanism, but I can't believe we'd ever see that here. :wub:

My wife is American, two of my children are American, my in-laws are American, I have lived, and worked, in the US for over 7 years...........I have first hand experience of how insular they are.

....and your experience is what??? :laughing::wub:

We can whinge and moan and whinge and moan some more...but as we stand at the moment TPTB have us by the short and curlies :laughing: and they know that :wub:

We will say yes Sir no Sir three bags full Sir ............ they will say JUMP, and we will say how high Sir

But one day some clever techy people will create a new UK name for Geocaching and will open up a huge website and new forums and the Uk Geocachers will be ran by the UK

Can't come too soon :wub:

How many members does GSP have in UK? I was just wondering what kind of revenue they received from us on a yearly basis.....

Mandy :)

I think that the service we get is good value for money.

Why would anyone be daft enough to split the game by setting up a UK site. It ain't bust so why fret over it?

Your extraordinary rant seems to be ignore the fact that the Geocoin forum is an international forum with a pretty clear set of guidelines.

They swap coins for coins

They swap coins for money

Why cant I swap calendars for coins, I specifically asked for Dog Geocoins !!

Dont seem fair to me :laughing:

M :wub:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I suppose it could have been a childish bit of anti-Americanism, but I can't believe we'd ever see that here. :wub:

My wife is American, two of my children are American, my in-laws are American, I have lived, and worked, in the US for over 7 years...........I have first hand experience of how insular they are.

You should also have first hand experie3nce of how insular the British can be. It's just not so easily noticed in your own compatriots!

Why is UK caching so plagued by this "them and us" attitude?

The game is still easily accessible and great fun so why do a few folks seem to want to cause trouible by poking the Americans with a big stick?

They swap coins for coins

They swap coins for money

Why cant I swap calendars for coins, I specifically asked for Dog Geocoins !!

Dont seem fair to me :laughing:

M :wub:

The geocoin forum has a policy that trade requests should be posted in the trade thread. IME it's always been applied fairly to all posters. To my eyes the post was quite clearly advertising calenders with a suggestion that a coin trade may be an option.

It was so clearly in contravention of the guidelines and accepted practice that alarm bells ought to have rang before it was posted. I wouldn't wish a ban on anyone, but it is not correct to suggest that the policy used to judge the post was unfair.

IME the policy/guidelines are evenly and fairly applied and ensure that the Geocoin forum remains clutter free and on topic.

name='uktim' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:23 PM' post='3590426'

I think your in a rapidly growing minority

M

I suspect I'm in the majority and you're in a highly vocal minority. Remember that it's easier to complain than it is to offer a compliment!

The forums are only a small sub-community within UK caching. AFAIK the forums are free, the service we purchase if we choose to pay for premium membership is the efficent provision of data in a format which allows us to get on with our caching in a more efficient manner.

When I look at the pleasure that we get out of caching with our 2 year old daughter I think it's dirt cheap.

How much would it cost to get the same pleasure with the same frequency from the boring sterile environment of a theme park ?

IME the policy/guidelines are evenly and fairly applied

:wub::):wub::):D:D:laughing:

Woooooooooo that one cracked me up thats the best laugh I've had all day...

M B)

Are you really suggesting that there is some sort of discrimination within the geocoin forum?

It's easy to score points with mislaeding selective quoting. It's apparently more challenging to use my quote in context :D

No wonder folks think things are unfair if thats the standard we are operating under!

name='uktim' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:23 PM' post='3590426'

I think your in a rapidly growing minority

M

I suspect I'm in the majority and you're in a highly vocal minority. Remember that it's easier to complain than it is to offer a compliment!

The forums are only a small sub-community within UK caching. AFAIK the forums are free, the service we purchase if we choose to pay for premium membership is the efficent provision of data in a format which allows us to get on with our caching in a more efficient manner.

When I look at the pleasure that we get out of caching with our 2 year old daughter I think it's dirt cheap.

How much would it cost to get the same pleasure with the same frequency from the boring sterile environment of a theme park ?

I did correct myself I got my growing/decreasing and minorites/majorities mixed up, sorry for not being perfect (note to self still only 99% Mandy...must keep trying) :laughing::wub:

And yes I do voice my opinion (is that not what forums are for :wub: ) its a pity a few more in here did not do the same sometimes, then maybe TPTB would understand how disgruntled the UK cachers really are.

It has been said many many times we are paying customers, if we ask a question dont we deserve a respectable answer.

Anyway we off topic........

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I'm confused....

From this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=1978900

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

* This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

Which says swapping is OK and benefiting a charitable cause is OK...

I'm confused....

From this post:

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

* This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

And I have permission from Groundspeak to advertise the calendars I was trying to swap/sell

Double standards again

M :laughing:

I too can cite a list of American relatives and years spent in the US and guess what? it's just as irrelevant as yours. Any link between the insularity of the general US public and the moderation policies of the (non country specific) coin forum is tenuous at best.

Unless, of course, you happen to be one of those who will use any excuse to have a pop.

I'm confused....

From this post:

It's in the interpretation. I've always read it as coin for coin trades rather than trading other items for coins.

I certainly wouldn't regard it as acceptable to post offering other random goods for trade, even if they were for charity. Should I be allowed to advertise a GPS for trade for X coins?

Unless I'm mistaken it is also incorrect to suggest that the UK mega was or is a charity?

The game is still easily accessible and great fun so why do a few folks seem to want to cause trouible by poking the Americans with a big stick?

Trouible? - Sorry couldn't resist that one.

The Americans are not affecting our "game", they are affecting our freedom of speech - one of "the" amendments..............

Edited by Lost in Space

And yes I do voice my opinion (is that not what forums are for :laughing: ) its a pity a few more in here did not do the same sometimes, then maybe TPTB would understand how disgruntled the UK cachers really are.

That will only work if the happy ones keep quiet :wub:

Trouible? - Sorry couldn't resist that one.

The Americans are not affecting our "game", they are affecting our freedom of speech - one of "the" amendments"..............

Oh no they're not :laughing:

There's a big difference between freedom of speech and accepting the rules/guidelines of a forum that you choose to post in IMO.

I'm very grateful for the fact that moderators discourage the selling or trading of random goods in the geocoin forum.