FTF Crashes

Me and my muggle friend were wondering if anyone out there has gotten in a car accident or near accident trying to get a FTF?

I know out here in lakeside, ca we have about 8 cachers that are out the door really quick. Most of the time if a cache is within 2-5 mi it will be found by 2-3 cachers within an hour.

Edited by dctalk007

Me and my muggle friend were wondering if anyone out there has gotten in a car accident or near accident trying to get a FTF?

Nope, not worth it. Cache will be there when we get there.

I haven't heard about anyone doing so. I know we have several FTF hounds that are on top of them fast, but never heard anything about it.

Personally I can care less about being FTF, and certainly my wife is the same way.

i heard once of the death of a geocacher who had mysteriously and unaccountably been in the oncoming lane when he ran head-on into another vehicle. both drivers were killed and it is not known whether or not the geocacher was paying attention to his GPS or PDA or laptop instead of the road, but it seems reasonable to speculate about, although it seemed to have been the one thing about the crash on which everyone remained silent.

i do not know if a FTF was at stake, but there's probably plenty stupid driving on the way to regular caches.

i think about that guy a lot whenever i'm tempted to pay less attention to my driving than i ought.

" ... if a FTF was at stake,..."

Nothing personal against you Flask.....but weigh that one statement. Nothing could speak more for the utter stupidity of the infatuation.

I just cannot comprehend what these "hounds" think they are accomplishing, really. A number (and an 'unofficial one' at that!) beside your name, on the WWW .... that 99.99% of the world population will never ever know about? -- much less mean anything to them??

When I see high FTF counts, I seriously gotta wonder about that person's priorities in life.

~*

Nothing personal against you Flask.....but weigh that one statement. Nothing could speak more for the utter stupidity of the infatuation.

I just cannot comprehend what these "hounds" think they are accomplishing, really. A number (and an 'unofficial one' at that!) beside your name, on the WWW .... that 99.99% of the world population will never ever know about? -- much less mean anything to them??

When I see high FTF counts, I seriously gotta wonder about that person's priorities in life.

~*

i do not understand your point. the OP asked if there had been crashes on the way to a FTF. i mentioned a crash that may have been cache-related (distracted driver), but that i did not know if it involved a FTF.

i don't believe i was condoning bad driving on the way to caches whether there is a FTF at stake or not.

if i'm playing penny-ante poker, a dollar and a half might be at stake there. i do not know why you would pick on this phrase. "at stake" confers no special importance other than a thing that might be gained or lost, regardless of its value.

No, wasn't addressing your 'condoning' per se. -- I was speaking from the point of disassociating that remark from the example you cited....more to a standalone aspect. The point was - why would such a thing warrant being 'at stake' in the first place. It's of such low real value - yet consider the risks some will take, & the effort & cost they'll expend for them.....yet what's it really worth?

I meant "weigh that one statement" literally....as a standalone concept. Maybe I could have worded it better.

Peace, out.

~*

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

~*

i do not understand your point. the OP asked if there had been crashes on the way to a FTF. i mentioned a crash that may have been cache-related (distracted driver), but that i did not know if it involved a FTF.

i don't believe i was condoning bad driving on the way to caches whether there is a FTF at stake or not.

if i'm playing penny-ante poker, a dollar and a half might be at stake there. i do not know why you would pick on this phrase. "at stake" confers no special importance other than a thing that might be gained or lost, regardless of its value.

~*

I've often wondered that myself.

Ill be going after a first to find in a few hours, and theres nothing wrong with my priorities. Im sure Most of the people who go after a FTF arent driving like idiots to get there, to many people getting a FTF is very enjoyable encluding myself, but im not going to risk my life for it, which i doubt many people would.

I've heard of people that just up and leave from their job for FTFs and others who have gone out at 2 AM to get one. They went to bed after the cache was published at 11 p.m. but couldn't sleep knowing a FTF was out there and decided to get up and go for it.

That sounds kind of fun if it was a group thing, almost like a night cache, but it's not something I'd lose sleep over.

Edit to stick with the topic and say that I don't know anyone who has gotten into an accident while going for a FTF.

Edited by Skippermark

So if someone enjoys something you either do not like, or do not understand, their priorities in life become questionable? If so, there are a lot of people out there that are questioning your priorities, (and mine) just because we Geocache! :laughing::):wub:

I've never gone for a FTF. However, it is easy to understand how someone else may like the competition. More power to them. :wub:

Not in a FTF pursuit, but business for the auto body shop just the same -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...4e-71130d84fa3d

What I didn't mention in the log is that when the other driver got out of the car - in route to a shooting range - with three friends - in the middle of nowhere - the first words out of his mouth were "I SURE HOPE YOU HAVE SOME F$%^&& INSURANCE!" He then proceeded to pull out the biggest knife I'd ever seen and whack off a piece of his torn bumper away from his wheel. Wasn't sure I'd live to tell the tale -

Our local cache master actually set-out a cache at the scene of his experience (again, though, not a FTF) -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...87-99d8c2c90f8c

The pictures are good!