What is a geo-seed

pparcell

I'm guessing it's the same as a "seed cache", where the cache owner stocks smaller ready to hide caches as swag for finders to take, thereby making it easier for people to hide more caches.

Did you see one in particular in your area you are trying to find again?

GC1EXAN

Yup, it's a roadside micro, (probably a film canister) given away in a larger "seed" cache, with hopes that it would be placed as an, uh, roadside micro. Oh joy. :anitongue:

It's called "IT's the seed of ______", where I'd assume ______ is the username of the person who placed the cache full of micros.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Being from Utah where that cache is maybe I can help, "Geo-Seeds" is the name the "SirVesa" gave the the too common plastic nanos that he decided to package in little baggies and leave in all the caches that he finds... they were already really popular and often used all over northern Utah and that has helped them gain even more popularity, the bad part is that they last a couple of weeks ( or less ) and the caps fall off, then they shatter.... the good part is they are easy to find... here's a picture I just snapped of some I have in my office...

185a7e39-cb50-49ba-84c1-699d4585681b.jpg

Being from Utah where that cache is maybe I can help, "Geo-Seeds" is the name the "SirVesa" gave the the too common plastic nanos that he decided to package in little baggies and leave in all the caches that he finds... they were already really popular and often used all over northern Utah and that has helped them gain even more popularity, the bad part is that they last a couple of weeks ( or less ) and the caps fall off, then they shatter.... the good part is they are easy to find...

Ugh. It's even worse than I thought. I mean, hey, that's very nice of him. :anitongue:

Any one know what the term geo-seed means? I am looking for a cache that uses that to describe it.

As someone else pointed out it's a "seed" cache. I don't particularly care for them as I think that they can potentially promote poor hides.

Personally, I'd prefer that someone that is going to hide a cache come up with a concept or find a good hiding place first, then acquire an appropriate container for that location. Putting out 10-20 film containers for anyone to grab will likely mean that many of them will get shove in whatever location they happen to come upon in which the container will fit.

I checked the waypoint of the cache you're referring to and see that it hasn't been logged yet. That's a bit surprising considering the location.

Any one know what the term geo-seed means? I am looking for a cache that uses that to describe it.

It's not geo-seed. It's actually "Cheosied" which means "bad idea" in the Algonquin language.

Thanks, Brian. I was having trouble coming up with that translation.

obligation cache+urgent need to place it=poorly considered location=BAD IDEA

GC1EXAN

Yup, it's a roadside micro, (probably a film canister) given away in a larger "seed" cache, with hopes that it would be placed as an, uh, roadside micro. Oh joy. :D

It's called "IT's the seed of ______", where I'd assume ______ is the username of the person who placed the cache full of micros.

I've found that 35mm film cans taken from seeder caches are exceptionally useful for holding my AA batteries. I put the batteries in with the positive side up if they're charged and negative side up if they're dead and need recharged so I can tell the difference. I love seeder caches. I have lots of AA batteries. :D

Being from Utah where that cache is maybe I can help, "Geo-Seeds" is the name the "SirVesa" gave the the too common plastic nanos that he decided to package in little baggies and leave in all the caches that he finds... they were already really popular and often used all over northern Utah and that has helped them gain even more popularity, the bad part is that they last a couple of weeks ( or less ) and the caps fall off, then they shatter.... the good part is they are easy to find... here's a picture I just snapped of some I have in my office...

If you don't like my "Geo-Seeds", then why do you have a pack of them???

SirVesa

SirVesa

that ought to be obvious:

one as part of a sig item collection, and the rest to keep them out of the hands of people who might use them.

Man, those mini test tubes are garbage.

I thought Hey a cheap way to increase the volume of my tissue cultures. WRONG! They are an expencive way to lose them.

If they cant keep water in then for geocaching they are just a lame.

I wouldn't call them geo-seeds, geo-virus would be more accurate.

those things like to become brittle for some reason

I thought Hey a cheap way to increase the volume of my tissue cultures. WRONG! They are an expencive way to lose them.

After getting a full refund from AmSci because they recommended them to me (they say it was a system glitch) I found out that they are intended for non-liquid specimen field collection.

Ya think? :huh:

I don't feel so bad, since SirVesa, the seed placer, is the one who bumped the thread. Dude, you don't actually take trade items out of the cache for those, do you? That would be like the ultimate unfair trade. :)

SirVesa

I love these GeoSeeds! While visiting my sister in Utah I found a few of these and she gave me more. I think it's a great SigItem and very useful. Thank you SirVesa :)

I like to buy fake birds from the craft store and shove these GeoSeeds up their bottom. :) I then use wires to attach them to trees and bushes, creating a natural looking camo. These caches get very favorable responses from cachers here in California.

I wish I had more of them....hint, hint. :huh:

I haven't see one of these but they can't be as bad as people using the inner liner of a bison tube. In the winter you are luckly opening on and getting the log out without cracking one. They don't hold out water what so ever. And just not a good choice for a final container.

A "geo-seed" I would think is put in what we call a "seed cache". Someone want's more hides to look for in their area so they make a "seed cache" that has lot's of little tiny container's in it for people to take and make there own cache. They can't make you place one to claim a find (Which BTW thank you Groundspeak).