Help me choose my first dedicated unit

Hi all, we are Womble and Gobbi (Paul and Sharon), and are loving our new hobby.

At the moment we are geocaching using our Nokia N95's, and to be honest, they are pretty good, but there are times where a dedicated unit would serve us better.

Thefore we want to purchase a dedicated GPS device.

I'm sure there are numerous things we don't really understand yet, so as well as recommendations can you give us any do's or don't when buying one.

It goes without saying that GPS accuracy is important, because as well as finding caches we are looking forward to placing some, and the phones gps signal is a bit hit and miss.

Waterproof. (we've had to stop looking a number of times, due to having to put the phone away after a few drops of rain.)

PC connectivity

Nice clear colour screen.

Also easy to enter info when away from the pc.

The program on the phone is fantastic for finding local caches and i can enter the co- ordinates from the phone into the gps device..

Do you need mapping? If not, almost anything colour fits your needs. The Garmin 60CX seems a popular choice. Rugged, reliable etc. etc. If you like OS mapping you'll need a PDA (or similar) with either a built-in or separate bluetooth GPS dongle. They're not waterproof but you can put it in a case to protect it and they have the advantage of holding all your cache pages too. I bought a Fuji Pocket Loox 760 for £80 on ebay. 640x480 screen and reasonable battery life.

You really don't need anything flashy. I've got a Garmin Geko 201 - one of the most basic units there is. It's very accurate, very small, robust, easy to use, and does the job perfectly. You can connect it up to your PC and transfer data both ways.

It's got a small black and white screen, so I don't know if that would put you off, but the upside is very good battery life.

Other than that, I use my TyTN II, which has OS mapping and a whole heap of other goodies, but the GPS is nowhere near as accurate, the battery life is poor, and it's not waterproof. So I make good use of both.

Lee

I just bought a Colorado 400t which is great cost just under £250 from the states. holds all the infor you'll ever need.

My Garmin 60cx will be getting sold very soon, it is a great unit and has great signal and you can transfer data right from GC pages.

It is really a personal choice and how much money you want to shell out.

Do you need mapping? If not, almost anything colour fits your needs. The Garmin 60CX seems a popular choice. Rugged, reliable etc. etc. If you like OS mapping you'll need a PDA (or similar) with either a built-in or separate bluetooth GPS dongle. They're not waterproof but you can put it in a case to protect it and they have the advantage of holding all your cache pages too. I bought a Fuji Pocket Loox 760 for £80 on ebay. 640x480 screen and reasonable battery life.

OS mapping? =Ordnance Survey yes?, this is going to sound really stupid, but does it mean the screen actually shows you a mini map pointing out schools and churches and roads and all the other stuff on a normal map?

I don't think i need that as i can either plan my day caching online, or use the N95 geocaching program to locate caches on the fly.

From what i understand the Garmins work well with downloading cache co-ordinates from the pc, and as i'm a bit of a geek, i would probably enjoy this side of things.

I have a budget of about £200 including postage

I have just got a garmin colorado 300 (not sure the difference with the 400) and am using the free openstreetmap.com on it which seems very good for most places although it is missing some footpaths. IMO the roads are more important when caching as in a built up area a few hundred feet out could be a different road and the other side of buildings whereas in open areas it might be a different path but is probably still accessible and you tend to get fewer parallel footpaths anyway.

The free maps will probably work on most units with mapping but I am really pleased with the ability to see the description, hints, log etc and log the find attempt all with the one unit. I don't know how it fits your budget as it was a birthday present, thanks Dad :laughing:

not sure what price you can get the colorado 300 for in UK but I think its at least £250 i'm almost sure its closer to the £350 but i'm sure you can check it out.

The 300 is probably all you need as the only diference with a 400 with any letter after it is the pre loaded American maps which you most likely would not need.

I've had a good read over the replies and the forums themselves. The Garmin Colorado 300 seems like a pretty good choice.

I'm still very confused over the "maps" thing

On my Nokia, i use the geocache navigator program and i can search for caches by the co ordinates/ by nearby/ zip -postcode/ near intersection/ and by the waypoint.

I also use the Geocaching.com website to search for caches in an area i fancy visiting

Obviously, if they are nearby then i walk round and round in circles, pinpointing where i want to be.

If it is further off and i'm driving to it then i put the co-ordinates into TOMTOM and drive to the nearest road access point, start the phone program up and off we go, following the radar.

As i have said before the slightest hint of rain has me scurrying off to protect the phone, and over the last couple of weeks this has curtailed our caching a fair bit !

The fact that i can read the cache description, and the hint, and log the find online (yes i have a data plan- wouldn't be without one) makes the phone and the Geocache Navigator pc logs page invaluable.

I should point out that i also have Nokia and google maps installed on the phones with the Nokia Voice direction subscription, although you cant yet input map co ordinates into it.

So......I dont need maps for voice guidance or finding local shops and services.

However maps that show the canals and rivers and public footpaths and bridleways and cycle paths as overlays would be great, do GPS devices have these capabilities?

So......I dont need maps for voice guidance or finding local shops and services.

However maps that show the canals and rivers and public footpaths and bridleways and cycle paths as overlays would be great, do GPS devices have these capabilities?

Windows Mobile based Pocket PCs (eg IPaqs and Mios) can run a program called Memory Map. With this, you can display Ordnance Survey maps (which you have to purchase) on the screen, in colour, and with the GPS showing precisely where you are on the map. You can also load caches onto the map as an overlay' and they will show up with fancy little icons showing what sort of cache it is, together with name, diff/terr or any short selection of bits you feel like.

These maps are authentic, OS maps, at 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 and are identical to those you might have at home covered in pencil marks! HOWEVER - it is expensive, and a Windows Mobile PDA is essential. And these can be fairly expensive, typically aren't waterproof, and have diabolically short battery lives - I should know use one.

I think thats pretty much the case. As with anything, its swings and roundabouts. We started off with a basic etrex, which is pretty bombproof, and only got the PDA after a few years. Now I couldn't do without it!

Cheers

Dave

I think thats pretty much the case. As with anything, its swings and roundabouts. We started off with a basic etrex, which is pretty bombproof, and only got the PDA after a few years. Now I couldn't do without it!

Isn't life strange, i gave up my XDA2 a few years back and started using a Nokia N73, and have now moved on to the Nokia N95, AND------I'm already saving up for the Samsung Inov8, the lure of the 8mp camera is to strong.

Are there any real life shops near Watford A41 that i can actually go to and get a feel for these? all the shops i have found have been online !

I have a Legend HCx which does the job really well, with the opensource maps. So as I can be paperless I use my iPod to carry all the info I need in the way of previous logs, hints and spoiler pics if need be. The iPOd is easy to use and a lot of us have got them.

Must admit if I didn't already have the iPod I might have thought about the Colorado

Are there any real life shops near Watford A41 that i can actually go to and get a feel for these? all the shops i have found have been online !

Costco?

Well, i've got a costco card, so will try and trundle over there in the next few days, i don't remember seeing any in there though

How is the iPod's screen to see in sunshine? I was using my palm and cache mate for the cache pages before i got the colorado but it was very difficult to read outside.

I can always read it although sometimes I just shield it with a hat or something.

Must admit I do have the brightness set at the max but then again I do have small cateracts which don't help.

Windows Mobile based Pocket PCs (eg IPaqs and Mios) can run a program called Memory Map. With this, you can display Ordnance Survey maps (which you have to purchase) on the screen, in colour, and with the GPS showing precisely where you are on the map. You can also load caches onto the map as an overlay' and they will show up with fancy little icons showing what sort of cache it is, together with name, diff/terr or any short selection of bits you feel like.

These maps are authentic, OS maps, at 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 and are identical to those you might have at home covered in pencil marks! HOWEVER - it is expensive, and a Windows Mobile PDA is essential. And these can be fairly expensive, typically aren't waterproof, and have diabolically short battery lives - I should know use one.

Cheers

Dave

Purchase Viewranger for Nokia N95 - gives you exactly the same thing. £50 for the app and 2000sq KM of OSGB 1:25000 scale maps Individual map tiles if you need). Found the N95 to be very accurate, only issue is the waterproofness or lack of it and battery power. However, buy a skin for the N95 and an external batter source (Maplins sell a 2000mha Lithium Polimen batter which is good for about 3 full charges of the phone without being charged itself.

Andy

I've had a good read over the replies and the forums themselves. The Garmin Colorado 300 seems like a pretty good choice.

I'm still very confused over the "maps" thing

On my Nokia, i use the geocache navigator program and i can search for caches by the co ordinates/ by nearby/ zip -postcode/ near intersection/ and by the waypoint.

I also use the Geocaching.com website to search for caches in an area i fancy visiting

Obviously, if they are nearby then i walk round and round in circles, pinpointing where i want to be.

If it is further off and i'm driving to it then i put the co-ordinates into TOMTOM and drive to the nearest road access point, start the phone program up and off we go, following the radar.

As i have said before the slightest hint of rain has me scurrying off to protect the phone, and over the last couple of weeks this has curtailed our caching a fair bit !

The fact that i can read the cache description, and the hint, and log the find online (yes i have a data plan- wouldn't be without one) makes the phone and the Geocache Navigator pc logs page invaluable.

I should point out that i also have Nokia and google maps installed on the phones with the Nokia Voice direction subscription, although you cant yet input map co ordinates into it.

.... Create a favourite at any location using either Nokia maps or google maps for mobile (may need latest version). You can edit the Lat Long of favourites once they have been created. So you could do voice guided satnav to a cache (or the nearest road at least) and view the cache location using GMM.

So, real life has interferred recently, however i now have the money to buy our first "proper" gps device.

Having been caching a few times, this is how we currectly cache, we use TOMTOM ONE to get close and park up, then fire up N95 to get to cache and log finds, also to read hints and logs (fantastic)

The only thing is, you can't load up the phone with caches in advance, like i hope you can with a dedicated unit and the geocache.com site

we have now decided on our final specs, and are looking for any suggestions for our first buy. N95 will still be used for hints and logging finds and casual spur of the moment caching

Accuracy

waterproof

standard usb connection

integration with geocaching.com

maps showing footpaths and bridleways (can we get maps that show roads AND footpaths?)

takes standard batteries

prefer a colour screen.

i'm also confuse by the maps that are included with ebay sellers. What are

TOPO UK Maps often included in the sale, are they what i'm looking for?

i really like the look of both the

Garmin colorado 300

and the

Garmin oregon

But are they too advanced for what i'll need

and the Garmin ETREX Legend HCX

otherwise the Garmin Vista HCX looks like good value

Perhaps avisit to the fora on this particular subject is worth a visit before splashing the cash.

The Garmin Colorado 300 in particular has problems and seems to be depending on customers to do its beta testing.

The Oregon may possibly be better but that also has problems.

I have had several Garmins and prefer the 6OCSX to the Colorado.

The one thing the Colorado has going for it is the chance of paperless geocaching.

In my mind the Colorado is a good idea badly implemented.

Perhaps avisit to the fora on this particular subject is worth a visit before splashing the cash.

The Garmin Colorado 300 in particular has problems and seems to be depending on customers to do its beta testing.

The Oregon may possibly be better but that also has problems.

I have had several Garmins and prefer the 6OCSX to the Colorado.

The one thing the Colorado has going for it is the chance of paperless geocaching.

In my mind the Colorado is a good idea badly implemented.

Wow, thats a shame, and i thought only pc program makers left their customers to be beta testers after splashing the cash.

I've recently got an Oregon 300, and while it's not perfect I quite like it.

Main plus is the touchscreen; being able to easy view and scroll around the map and then tap a cache to select to view details and navigate to it is handy. I'm using openstreetmap maps; I like the idea of them and have started to contribute to that project when I find I am caching in uncharted territory.

Cons are that the screen is quite dull (the Colorado is brighter) and parts of the interface can be a bit of a faff. Sometimes you to have back up a couple or more screens to get to option you think should be right there. I've not had it long though, so it may be I'm missing a trick and it can be used more efficiently. However I find navigation through the menus is quicker and easier with a touchscreen than with the Colorado's wheel and buttons.

Handling of the waypoints belonging to a multi is rubbish. There is no way I can see to work out which waypoints from a PQ relate to which cache, you still need your print outs for these. The Colorado is the same.

I've done a brief simultaneous test looking for a couple of caches with a Colorado and an Oregon, and found the accuracy to be about the same. Sometimes the Colorado was better, sometimes the Oregon was.

Obviously I'm biased as I've bought the Oregon, but between it and the Colorado I would definitely take the Oregon. Of course there are other choices and neither may suit you.

I personally run Memory map on a mio P560.

However battery life coupled with relative fragility are downsides I find.

Satmap I have looked at already (and perhaps now unfortunately) owning a good few hundred pounds worth of Memory map does not make me wish to go for it.

Other problems with it are that accuracy it seems to offer and also the battery life which is not (at the last time of checking) very good along with other problems.

As for the comments about beta testing and software I am not aware of any other Garmin that has had the same number of problems as the Colorado.

Main plus is the touchscreen; being able to easy view and scroll around the map and then tap a cache to select to view details and navigate to it is handy. I'm using openstreetmap maps; I like the idea of them and have started to contribute to that project when I find I am caching in uncharted territory.

Cons are that the screen is quite dull (the Colorado is brighter) and parts of the interface can be a bit of a faff. Sometimes you to have back up a couple or more screens to get to option you think should be right there. I've not had it long though, so it may be I'm missing a trick and it can be used more efficiently. However I find navigation through the menus is quicker and easier with a touchscreen than with the Colorado's wheel and buttons.

Handling of the waypoints belonging to a multi is rubbish. There is no way I can see to work out which waypoints from a PQ relate to which cache, you still need your print outs for these. The Colorado is the same.

I've done a brief simultaneous test looking for a couple of caches with a Colorado and an Oregon, and found the accuracy to be about the same. Sometimes the Colorado was better, sometimes the Oregon was.

Obviously I'm biased as I've bought the Oregon, but between it and the Colorado I would definitely take the Oregon. Of course there are other choices and neither may suit you.

Well, they seem to pretty much the same price on ebay. will i need to purchase any extras? Or will igood to go?

Well, they seem to pretty much the same price on ebay. will i need to purchase any extras? Or will igood to go?

Recently bought a Colorado and quite like it. I would certainly recommend Topo mapping. Sorry for the double post.

:laughing:

Recently bought a Colorado and quite like it. I would certainly recommend Topo mapping. Sorry for the double post.

;)

Decided on the Oregon, but was stunned to find the cost of the TOPO dvd was £108...made my eyes water

I am on my second Colorado and have a problem that keeps recurring.

I live at the bottom of a narrow wooded clough which means that satellite reception is not the best.

On a number of ocassions I have noticed a bigger and bigger error appear that can be well over anything I pick up with my 60csx. (I have checked by taking both on the same walk at the same time.)

Once the error is present it takes a long time to return to normal and I usually turn off and have even pulled the batteries when everything reverts to normal.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I am on my second Colorado and have a problem that keeps recurring.

I live at the bottom of a narrow wooded clough which means that satellite reception is not the best.

On a number of ocassions I have noticed a bigger and bigger error appear that can be well over anything I pick up with my 60csx. (I have checked by taking both on the same walk at the same time.)

Once the error is present it takes a long time to return to normal and I usually turn off and have even pulled the batteries when everything reverts to normal.

Has anybody else experienced this?

This is a well documented problem. Now compare the track log of the CSx in the diagram above it. :D

I actually bought my first Colorado300 in February and have just had one problem after another with both the first and the second.

The problem has been aknowledged by Garmin apparently after ducking for some considerable length of time on this.

"We have been able to reproduce the issue and are working closely with our vendor to remedy the situation. At this point, customers will see no benefit by returning/exchaging units as the cause does not appear to be hardware related defects. Nearly all units may see this issue under some circumstances. We cannot provide a timeline for when we anticipate resolution but please know we are working very hard to resolve this problem quickly."

As far as I am concerned a gps that behaves in such a manner is worse than no gps at all.

Having just talked to Garmin support in the UK they have assured me this problem is being worked on and is down to the sensitivity of the reciever?.

However after all the ongoing problems over an eight month period I am not too sure that it can be sorted.

In another month if this problem is not sorted then this second one will be returned but most definitely not for another California!

By the way this is no reflection at all on my interaction with Garmin support who have been very good.

They are being let down by a product brought to market at least 6 months earlier than it should have been.