Equipment upgrade Suggestions

I am currently looking at buying a new gps. Currently using a Meridian, still works pretty good but it is time to retire. I am undecided as to which way to go. Whether to get a dedicated GPS unit or PDA with GPS capability either built in or add on. Having never used anything other tham a gps receiver, I don't know what to expect from a PDA/GPS.

Any advise/assisstance would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that your average GPSr is weatherproof, rugged, can take some bumps, and so on. Your average PDA/GPS, or some other solution, isn't. I don't mind handing my GPSr to somebody and letting them carry it around. And since it is a single-purpose device I don't have any critical data on it that I can't live without.

Ever been after a cache in the rain? In a canoe? That pretty much rules out anything but a purpose-built GPSr for me...

Keep in mind that your average GPSr is weatherproof, rugged, can take some bumps, and so on. Your average PDA/GPS, or some other solution, isn't. I don't mind handing my GPSr to somebody and letting them carry it around. And since it is a single-purpose device I don't have any critical data on it that I can't live without.

Ever been after a cache in the rain? In a canoe? That pretty much rules out anything but a purpose-built GPSr for me...

You bring up some really valid points, I think I was a bit narrow sighted, only thinking along the line of convenience. I spend a lot of time in my kayak, I do have a water proof pouch but it is more for it ability to keep things afloat and visible.