I wanna "hide" an earthcache!

mousekakat

Hey all!

Ok, so say I want to do an earth cache?

I live in this marvelously old country that has been shaped by glaciers, and there are very, very few earthcaches here. I loved geology as a kid and am still interested in it, but nowhere near as much as some of you folks are, so could I get some pointers?

A mine that has been mined for copper, nickel and cobalt (the stuff that makes that wonderful blue)... could that be an earthcache?

What about a natural set of caves? We have the Bodarnegrottorna (poorly translated, sorry!) in our area, would this be a good place for an Earthcache, and what if there is already a traditional geocache placed in the area?

What are some other things that make good, interesting earthcaches? Since there aren't many in our country to start with, it's hard to go visit many to get a feel for them!

Thanks for the help!

Naomi :anitongue:

Both of those ideas would fit as an earthcache. For the mine, you could focus on a few thing, why the metals are there, the type of rock the metals are in, if it has special historic significance, that could be used as well. You don't have to cover all the topics, just the ones you can find informtion on.

The other features are definately good ideas. Just figure out how they were formed and describe that.

You also mention glacial features. Any one of those would work, glacial pollish, erratics, fjords, glacially cut valleys, etc.

If you have specific quesitons, go ahead and post them as well. If you want examples of similar features here in the US we could post links to them for you to see how a page is set up.

You will still need to talk to the land manager to get approval.

I would also use the term "list" instead of "hide" when talking to the land manager. Hide implies something physical might be left there. It just avoids confusion.

Edited by TerryDad2

Thanks for the response!

Wonderful thing about Sweden, no land managers! We have this great law here called "allemansrätten" that means that you are welcome to go anywhere as long as it's not posted. We can camp, pick berries, swim, hunt mushrooms, whatever!

There is also this HUGE "field" of granite stones, each between the size of a volleyball and maybe a basketball, going down a hill that I'm pretty sure are part of glacial movement, but nothing that says anything about them. There's a small sign that says it's a shingle stone field, but.... not sure. I understood them to be much smaller stones.

c420b388-2670-43b5-ad76-9ac69cf9adb4.jpg

0583c8ab-512e-4260-8fd0-3156916e007b.jpg

Anyone know what this might be?

*looking forward to getting involved in earthcaches, too!*

Naomi

Are shingle stones the same thing as cobblestones?

Cobblestones are rock fragment between about 64 and 256 millimeters (up to ten inches) in diameter, that have been naturally rounded.

Other grain sizes include sand (under 4mm), pebble (4 to 64 millimeters), boulder (larger than 256 mm), etc

Here is a photo of a cobblestone field at Hornslandet. Province of Hälsingland, Sweden. It would make a terrific earthcache.

Are shingle stones the same thing as cobblestones?

Cobblestones are rock fragment between about 64 and 256 millimeters (up to ten inches) in diameter, that have been naturally rounded.

Other grain sizes include sand (under 4mm), pebble (4 to 64 millimeters), boulder (larger than 256 mm), etc

Here is a photo of a cobblestone field at Hornslandet. Province of Hälsingland, Sweden. It would make a terrific earthcache.

Wanna know what's cool about that pic?

It's in the area where I live... province, if that's what you want to call it!

I'm going to see where it is!

;)

Edited to add...

And it appears that someone beat me to that one :anitongue:

GCQ7YX

Edited by mousekakat
and what if there is already a traditional geocache placed in the area?

I will take the only part that was not yet answered... earthcaches can be placed where there is also a traditional or any other type of cache located provided you contact the hider(s) of the cache(s) already there and they are ok with it. The tenth of a mile rule does not apply to earthcaches.

- Rev Mike

Thanks for the response!

Wonderful thing about Sweden, no land managers! We have this great law here called "allemansrätten" that means that you are welcome to go anywhere as long as it's not posted. We can camp, pick berries, swim, hunt mushrooms, whatever!

There is also this HUGE "field" of granite stones, each between the size of a volleyball and maybe a basketball, going down a hill that I'm pretty sure are part of glacial movement, but nothing that says anything about them. There's a small sign that says it's a shingle stone field, but.... not sure. I understood them to be much smaller stones.

Naomi

Looks like a block stream to me....

Thanks for the response!

Naomi

Over here in Pennsylvania (USA) I just saw something very, VERY similar...

thiscacherocks.jpg

Might be the same thing! Check out GCQ7Z4 Hickory Run Boulder Field Earthcache

Since we're showing off pebbles and cobbles, here's some from Portugal.

I will tell that all this is man made, its very old and you'll have to wait for a future earthcache to be able to find out exactly what it is.

c400c91e-59ac-4905-a15b-ef6a8b5440d7.jpg

7a0d15d2-bd71-413a-b568-08fa0000f3de.jpg

But so as not to detract from the original question asked above, I would say for you to see quite a few EC pages to see the sort of stuff that has been done. Then you have to develop your site and get it published.