Any new geocaching terms?

pit12kid

We have invented a new geocaching term with our kids to let them know the area they need to check.

When we arrive at a site and it says the accuracy is 11 feet - We tell our kids-- We are within Two Mikes.

A Mike = 5' 10" and is the size of our friend Mike.

For any kids (3-7) who are not good with feet and inches, I would reccommend using the unit "Mike"

Have fun! - We always laugh - M

When we are in a public area caching or there are other cachers near by, we make up a term. We have used "Swigity Swag" "Rusty Marbles" and some other terms. It tells my cache partner I found it, that he needs to be nearer, and it does not alert muggles or cachers to the location.

I like the idea for the measure ment. Since my wife is 5' I could use her for example...lol

Stanch = a combination of Stash and Stench. That musty odor you get from opening up a warm, wet ammo can.

foobug = that creepy feeling you get that there's another tick SOMEWHERE on you after you've already pulled off one (or more).

Gleeker = a non-cacher who accompanies you on a hunt just to watch and usually gets in the way (After "Gleek" from "The Super Friends").

Global Juxtapositioning System = Paying so much attention to your GPS screen that you trip over another cacher who is doing the same thing.

Carpet bombing = like a power trail except the area is a lot less organized and filled with a lot of really bad caches....ok....it's pretty much exactly like a power trail.

Stanch = a combination of Stash and Stench. That musty odor you get from opening up a warm, wet ammo can.

foobug = that creepy feeling you get that there's another tick SOMEWHERE on you after you've already pulled off one (or more).

Gleeker = a non-cacher who accompanies you on a hunt just to watch and usually gets in the way (After "Gleek" from "The Super Friends").

Global Juxtapositioning System = Paying so much attention to your GPS screen that you trip over another cacher who is doing the same thing.

Carpet bombing = like a power trail except the area is a lot less organized and filled with a lot of really bad caches....ok....it's pretty much exactly like a power trail.

Stanch - Gleeker (soo Funny)- GJS Are def. terms that will come up in the future. LOL - THX

i was just jshin' when i said "bibbelots" in another thread, but i've decided that i like it and it's practical and fun to say.

bibbleots (pronounced "bibble-lots", as opposed to the french "bibelots") = trinkets that while present in great volume, are essentially worthless.

I've coined a few....but long tuff day & only a couple come to mind at the moment. "VRP" for Viking Raiding Party -- those 4-8 (& more *shudder*) -man teams that come in from out-of-town on the numbers runs. "Rape & pillage" comes to mind.

And the 'Cookie Cutter Logs' that usually follow, like 99.99% of the time -- and also too often the same phrasing with just one different name, eg, "One of 72 finds on a run today with him, him, him, him & him. TFTC." Repeated 4-8 times. (And betcherass you won't find a DNF amongst 'em....even tho they had 8 or 9.) Oh well.....TFT 'TFTC'.

Oh yes, one other. I called 'em 'The Hot Rods' originally, (after hearing of some of their driving tactics) but later learned the more common term is "FTF Hounds".

~S*H

Rumpelschnitz - Found it!

Fars - generic unit of measure; uses include "How many fars?" "'Bout .25 fars." or "300 Fars."

One of our local cachers has a habit of placing caches in easily seen, though not easily obtainable spots. Therefore, when you place a cache up in a tree, but not suicidally high, you say "look up, but not Fishing up."

FTF MnG - that wonderful moment when at least four (usually more) people meet up on a FTF run. Typically, someone gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak, and it turns into a meet and greet. These typically end up taking a good deal of time.

Dirty caching - when you try to find the final of a multi by looking in the likely spots, not going through all the stages. Alternatively, cracking a puzzle cache by using the 2 mile radius guideline, looking for likely spots, and concentrating on them instead of solving the puzzle. Not always a good plan.

Also used when coords are off by a significant degree; As in, "The coords put me in the middle of a parking lot, but I saw a spot where the cache could be, looked, and found." Dirty caching is a lot easier in the snow - just follow the footprints to the severely trampled spot and start looking.

Fars - generic unit of measure; uses include "How many fars?" "'Bout .25 fars." or "300 Fars."

I love this! "How far to go, dad?"

"3 Fars"

"We'll be there in 3 Nearly There Yets"

:laughing:

This reminds me of a telephone company commercial from at least ten years ago, where the kid in the back seat of the car asks his mother, "Is it far away, or far far away?" :wub:

Dirty caching - when you try to find the final of a multi by looking in the likely spots, not going through all the stages. Alternatively, cracking a puzzle cache by using the 2 mile radius guideline, looking for likely spots, and concentrating on them instead of solving the puzzle. Not always a good plan.

We usually refer to that tactic as "brute forcing", after the term used to crack a code by trying all possible combinations or passwords. In our case, we're trying all the possible places we can think of where a stage (or the final) might be hidden.

I've been on one hunt where we successfully brute-forced a multi. We couldn't find one stage, but we managed to find another just by guessing and getting lucky.

Edited by DocDiTTo

We have invented a new geocaching term with our kids to let them know the area they need to check.

When we arrive at a site and it says the accuracy is 11 feet - We tell our kids-- We are within Two Mikes.

For any kids (3-7) who are not good with feet and inches, I would reccommend using the unit "Mike"

Much like the smoot of a famous Boston-Cambridge connection. I like it.

One of my geopals is directionally challenged at times, so if he is navigating I'm told to turn my way or your way. :laughing:

Much like the smoot of a famous Boston-Cambridge connection. I like it.

One of my geopals is directionally challenged at times, so if he is navigating I'm told to turn my way or your way. :D

Wow, Maybe I would fit in with the peeps at M.I.T? :D

I keep checking in. Great new words-- I now know that I am classified as a neochacher :D

BTW- How did you find this information. Has anyone else heard of a smoot?

Man, tough decision- Stick with the "Mike"- Move to a "Mom" ( I like the unit Mom= 5') - Or use the "proper" term of a smoot - I'll laugh either way - TFTP- M

We usually refer to that tactic as "brute forcing", after the term used to crack a code by trying all possible combinations or passwords. In our case, we're trying all the possible places we can think of where a stage (or the final) might be hidden.

I've been on one hunt where we successfully brute-forced a multi. We couldn't find one stage, but we managed to find another just by guessing and getting lucky.

Yup, we call it 'brute forcing' too. We've FTFed two multis, both with bad coordinates, by paying close attention to the cache description.