What is a Flash MOB?

lgreenbaum

I keep seeing in the event caches a type of event called a Flash MOB . What is a Flash MOB event? What happens at one?

It is a quick event, maybe 15 to 30 min. You usually have a log, TB exchange bucket, and maybe one more quick event. Then leave to go caching. Thats it. Sometimes they'll have post-mob events but those are usually figured out at the Flash Mob

Flash Mob wiki info

A flash mob is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse.

It's kind of an interesting idea overall, in a sociology kinda way, but I don't see the point for geocaching. Besides, it sounds like most flash mob events don't hold true to the flash mob description. And if you can't socialize, or have to have an "post-mob event" to socialize, it just doesn't seem to hold true to the point of an event.

If it's one of the 'official' flash mob events, then the cache page writeup spells it out exactly. An event, hundreds of simultaneous events worldwide, happen at EXACTLY the same time around the world. The 1'st one was at Noon EST, and therefore there were also flash mob events out west at 9AM PST and so on.

The idea for flash mobs came out os a science fiction story by Larry Niven in the 1970's called Flash Crowd, well that's what I think.

Now there have been too many 'unofficial' copycat events that are not sponsored by the WWFMA and therefore diluting the uniqueness of that great idea. Well it was good when it started out like many things and now has great potential to peter out into dullness.

<Apology>Sorry for my pessimism.</Apology>

Now there have been too many 'unofficial' copycat events that are not sponsored by the WWFMA and therefore diluting the uniqueness of that great idea. Well it was good when it started out like many things and now has great potential to peter out into dullness.

I thought in most areas that has already happened. :anitongue: There might be a few pockets here and there where people are WWFM enthusiasts.

i love the opportunity for performance art; a large group of people inexplicably assembling out of nowhere to behave oddly for a few minutes and then disappear equally incomprehensibly holds much attraction for me.

the original micro events were not flash mobs exactly, but they were funny because they were offbeat. guardrail micros started out as being funny back when they were unusual.

true flash mobs are still a riot.

regular micro events are indeed becoming the LPC of the event calendar, but they suit me in that i don't have to socialize with other geocachers to get a smilie for it. i can sign the log and disappear before i even have to say "how-do".

sometimes if i attend an event where i think i can get away with it, i wear a nametag bearing the name of one of my sockpuppet accounts. i might sign the log with my real account name, or i might not. sometimes both.

Wow! I thought I was the only one with a low opinion of flash mobs. The point of event caches is for gecachers to come together, share experiences and socialize. How do you do that in a 15 minute flash mob?

Almost everyone I talk to thinks they're silly, and it's quite clear that interest decreases with every one that gets listed. I've also heard firsthand from attendees that none of that stuff on the cache page even comes close to happening, unlike a "real" flash mob at a local shopping mall, for example. There, everyone is totally 100% commited to the "performance art", as Flask refers to it. Geocachers having a flash mob is like the local cycling club getting together and saying "lets try horse shoes". I don't profess to speak for geocachers world-wide or anything though. :laughing:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel