emoticons

s32144

I saw something that looked like an 8-ball in someone's log and don't know what it means. Does anyone know? Thanks.

We've used it in our logs before, but only as an indicator of the finds my husband has made when I wasn't present (kind of his way to count his individual finds)

Other than just being a cool icon, I have no idea what it means. :anitongue:

I think anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's on this one.

I went to the icon page that links to the cache log page to see what it said, and all it indicates is "Eightball." Not much information there.

I am reminded of some Smiley's that I used ages ago in chat rooms, IMs, and e-mails that were simply to look cute:

:anitongue: ("B" with a close parinthesis) is pretty cute, depending on the font.

This then reminded me ... oh yeah, there was an eightball Smiley as well:

8) or more often seen as 8-)

I really think this is where it came from. Someone at Groundspeak with a colorful past (or a creative present) thought it would be fun to include in the list of emoticons.

I like one of the previous posters ideas of tagging a cache that one of a team found alone. I have been "spanked" for sometimes being over-critical on comments about a cache I found (or did not find.) I guess I could bite my tongue and use a icon like this to remind me or some internal joke not yet shared.

In this ever-increasing Online world, we seem to need more and more things to make light of a situation or a comment that "would get us punched in the face" if we were to say that or do that in person. *sigh*

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

i do not use smilies of any kind and hope to be taken out and shot if i ever start to use them.

and in terms of distasteful internet conventions, the one that makes me gind my teeth is the use of LOL to indicate (cover?) hostility, or just for nothing in particular. i won't be using that one anytime soon, either.