Where to Find a Container

m.austin

I had decided when I hit 100 finds I was going to hide a cache. I have my location selected, but I need help finding a suitable container. I need something that is waterproof (duh!), that I can both bolt to a wooden deck that I can lock with a padlock. The idea being this cache will be a puzzle cache, with the cache being attached to the deck of our local library (I have permission because I'm the boss!). There will be a list of 4 coordinates that you will drive or walk to 4 nearby locations to obtain the needed number to open the lock. I figure the easiest way to keep this cache from being muggled was to put it in plain site. Where do I find a container that will work for this? This cache is based on GC12JAX. They used a hand built container, but I don't have the tools to build one myself. We do have a nearby army surplus store, but I don't know if ammo cans would work...

I had decided when I hit 100 finds I was going to hide a cache. I have my location selected, but I need help finding a suitable container. I need something that is waterproof (duh!), that I can both bolt to a wooden deck that I can lock with a padlock. The idea being this cache will be a puzzle cache, with the cache being attached to the deck of our local library (I have permission because I'm the boss!). There will be a list of 4 coordinates that you will drive or walk to 4 nearby locations to obtain the needed number to open the lock. I figure the easiest way to keep this cache from being muggled was to put it in plain site. Where do I find a container that will work for this? This cache is based on GC12JAX. They used a hand built container, but I don't have the tools to build one myself. We do have a nearby army surplus store, but I don't know if ammo cans would work...

A ammo can with a hasp bolted to it for the lock would work well I think.

I'm thinking of a box like this one http://www.drillspot.com/products/85291/In...Sprinkler_Timer , without anything in it. Your local irrigation installer/supplier might be able to help

Of course another idea is to create a puzzle where the final is a "Gatekeeper Cache" that is kept behind the counter at the library, and one must ask for it.

There are also locking wall mounted mailboxes. there would be a slot under the top flap, but the Cache could be a removable waterproof container, locked inside the mailbox

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

How about a key safe. It's not overly expensive, you have the combination lock built in, it will bolt to the deck and you can fit a pencil and Bison Cylinder or waterproof matchbox with the logbook inside to keep it dry.

fce7709b-93a2-488c-8655-7d109c084491.jpg

Or perhaps you can place it inside a fake security camera. No lock, but nobody will tamper with it. You can still have a puzzle that will bring you to the cache.

SC-2025.gif

Or perhaps you can find an old electric panel somewhere and remove the guts. Many accommodate a lock.

R6-26A%20-%20Electric%20Panel%20Completed%20(8-6pm).jpg

Edited by briansnat

The local planetarium had a huge ammo box chained to a pillar. They didn't have a lock on it, but as someone already said, it's easy enough to add a hasp that locks, too. Is there a support post to wrap the chain around?

I saw a post recently that showed a newspaper box used in a similar way.

If money were no expense, it would certainly be cool to have a "geocache return" near your "book return"

Based on Neos2 previous post, and since you are the boss and work for the library, how about a travel bug box? In plain sight. Information on travel bugs AND geocaching at the information desk.

You could easily have two caches on the same grounds. Only one is published, but the other is there to be used if someone wishes to drop off/pick up a travel bug.

Sounds like you have some fun work ahead of you! Good luck with whatever you decide. - Pat

Nix on the Power Panel hide... the last thing we want people doing is poking around power panels that may be LIVE! It only takes one tenth of one Amp to stop a persons heart (aka... you're dead!). A power panel such as the one shown above can carry 250 Amps!. Just my two cents worth...

I am really excited about some of these ideas. Cachers are such a clever bunch! The library is only open 12 hours a week, so a bonus cache inside could be accomplished easily enough with warning about the hours (it is worth the visit - the library is an old bank, so the bathroom is in the safe!) The cache will be placed around the corner on the left side of the building, where a small deck leads to the back door. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go, but because we are so "small town" it won't be anything too "high tech" looking, because THAT would draw attention! *L* Thanks for all the suggestions!

DCP_0005.jpg