Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

I have just come across a blog page, from the designer of the Garmin geocoins. I don’t think this has been mentioned before.

Mad Hatters Neverland wrote in his blog :

So of all the hundreds of geocoins designs I've done, this series are amoung the coolest. I got to design a series of geocoins picturing UK landmarks for a promotion by Garmin UK (the maikes of the best GPS receivers), Groundspeak (the founders of geocaching itself) and EnjoyEngland (the British tourist bureau).

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

I have just come across a blog page, from the designer of the Garmin geocoins. I don’t think this has been mentioned before.

Mad Hatters Neverland wrote in his blog :

So of all the hundreds of geocoins designs I've done, this series are amoung the coolest. I got to design a series of geocoins picturing UK landmarks for a promotion by Garmin UK (the maikes of the best GPS receivers), Groundspeak (the founders of geocaching itself) and EnjoyEngland (the British tourist bureau).

Regards Tarot

Linky, for anyone interested: http://madhattersneverland.blogspot.com/20...roundspeak.html

Edit: Hrm, the Groundspeak filter capitalises the G in Groundspeak, make it lowercase if you get a page not found error.

Edited by mandarin

Hi!

Has anyone got an unactivated Big Ben coin to swap? I've been unable to get out & about much to get coins due to a broken ankle, but I've been lucky enough to get a Clifton Suspension Bridge (thanks Royales!) & my son got me an Angel of the North. Then my husband got me another, but that is an Angel of the North as well :rolleyes: .

So, anyone got a swap - particularly interested in Big Ben.

Beith

im awaiting a small coin package from a member of my family. unfortunately i dont know exactly what of the 2 coin designs im supposed to be getting will be duplicated. im not sure whether im going to have a spare of stonehenge or of the angel of the north.

im still seeking the clifton suspension bridge and the london eye.

is there a way to see where the nearest garmin coins are to your home address?

Try this:

From the GC.com homepage go to "Trackable items" (left hand side of page)

Scroll down the page and in the box "Search for a Trackable Item by Name" enter name of Geocoin, eg "Garmin", "Big Ben", "Angel of the North" and press "search" button

This shows you all coins with that as part of their name. You can then look through the pages and find those closest to your home. There may be a quicker, more accurate way, but this works for me.

im awaiting a small coin package from a member of my family. unfortunately i dont know exactly what of the 2 coin designs im supposed to be getting will be duplicated. im not sure whether im going to have a spare of stonehenge or of the angel of the north.

im still seeking the clifton suspension bridge and the london eye.

I have a Clifton Suspension Bridge coin...

Went into Millets (or was it Blacks?) in Farnham on Sunday and asked for a coin.

They had a look around, but didn't have any left. Apparently, they have had them loose on the counter, and children have been picking them up. Small chance of those getting activated, let alone sent out into the wild!

Bob

Hi Everyone

I have a spare unactivated "Angel Of The North" coin free to a good home. I would prefer it to go to someone that has not been able to get any coins, and is prepared to set it free into the wild.

Please send me a private message, there is only the one coin so first come first served.

Kind Regards Tarot

We went into the Millets in union street Brum yesterday and they didn't have any in, tried Walsall today and they reckon that they are not doing them in that store although the web site says that they do :lol::laughing: .

Nigel Merry Hill or Wton lichfield sutton and tamworth are your best bet!! Phone before you go.

Millets in lichfield and Blacks in Tamworth don't have any. I checked with them on Friday last week

Hi Everyone

I have a spare unactivated "Angel Of The North" coin free to a good home. I would prefer it to go to someone that has not been able to get any coins, and is prepared to set it free into the wild.

Please send me a private message, there is only the one coin so first come first served.

Kind Regards Tarot

Just a couple of ideas

Why not drop it unactivated into a local cache and give someone a nice surprise when they find it.

Or if you really want to make sure it does get activated - activate it yourself and then offer it for adoption via these forums.

Hi Paul & Ros

Just a couple of ideas

Why not drop it unactivated into a local cache and give someone a nice surprise when they find it.

Or if you really want to make sure it does get activated - activate it yourself and then offer it for adoption via these forums.

Thanks for the ideas, I just wanted it to go to someone who is finding it difficult to find a coin. There has been no response yet, so perhaps most cachers have got their coin or coins.

Regards Tarot

There is also a Millets in Stafford :D

I went in on Sunday, and the assistant told me they only received one coin, and it went very quickly.

I require an unactivated Angel of the North coin, and have an unactivated Big Ben coin to swap for it. I will activate and release the coin, assuming I manage to obtain one.

Ivan

Edited by ivanidea

is there a way to see where the nearest garmin coins are to your home address?

Try this:

From the GC.com homepage go to "Trackable items" (left hand side of page)

Scroll down the page and in the box "Search for a Trackable Item by Name" enter name of Geocoin, eg "Garmin", "Big Ben", "Angel of the North" and press "search" button

This shows you all coins with that as part of their name. You can then look through the pages and find those closest to your home. There may be a quicker, more accurate way, but this works for me.

Or just go to Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates in My Account. As the coins all have their own icon, it is just a case of scrolling through the nearest caches until you find one with a Garmin coin residing there.

ayepee

We went into the Millets in union street Brum yesterday and they didn't have any in, tried Walsall today and they reckon that they are not doing them in that store although the web site says that they do :):) .

Nigel Merry Hill or Wton lichfield sutton and tamworth are your best bet!! Phone before you go.

Thanks Andy, Elaine, Walsall did say Wolverhampton were probably the best ones to try.

:D

There is also a Millets in Stafford :anibad:

I went in on Sunday, and the assistant told me they only received one coin, and it went very quickly.

I require an unactivated Angel of the North coin, and have an unactivated Big Ben coin to swap for it. I will activate and release the coin, assuming I manage to obtain one.

Ivan

I can swap you an Angel of the North for your Big Ben coin - my cousins been after that one for ages!! You can contact me thru my GC profile if you want.

Cheers

Jan

Edited by janw7256

Help required

Just tried to register the Big Ben coin I got a couple of weeks ago from Blacks in Glasgow and it says some American cacher has already registered it back on the 6th of August. The reference for this coin is TB2GW0P. Something weird here as I have the coin in my possesion.

My question is can Grounspeak de-register this coin so to speak??????

Edited by Big Rab

Help required

Just tried to register the Big Ben coin I got a couple of weeks ago from Blacks in Glasgow and it says somene American cacher has already registered it back on the 6th of August. The reference for this coin is TB2GW0P. Something STINKS here as I have the coin in my possesion and he won't reply to any emails.

Well TB2GWOP is currently 'owned' by Rothstafari - isn't (s)he one of the GS lackeys who's been involved in setting this up? in which case it might just be some administrative procedure/cock up and is likely to be easily sorted out once you can contact him/her

Help required

Just tried to register the Big Ben coin I got a couple of weeks ago from Blacks in Glasgow and it says somene American cacher has already registered it back on the 6th of August. The reference for this coin is TB2GW0P. Something STINKS here as I have the coin in my possesion and he won't reply to any emails.

Well TB2GWOP is currently 'owned' by Rothstafari - isn't (s)he one of the GS lackeys who's been involved in setting this up? in which case it might just be some administrative procedure/cock up and is likely to be easily sorted out once you can contact him/her

Rothstafari is the legal bod at Groundspeak! :anibad:

Or it's an Oh/zero mix up...

Rothstafari is the legal bod at Groundspeak! B)

Or it's an Oh/zero mix up...

OMG, does that mean I'll be getting a writ for defamation for suggesting that (s)he made a cock up? Better put Rumpole on red alert :anibad: .

The actual code on the coin does not have a 0 or o in it. The one i mentioned in my earlier post is the public one used to reference it on its page.

Common mistakes in TB coin identification are Oh and zero, B and eight, two and Z etc, not neccesarily that it was speciffically the O/0, I was just being lazy and not putting all the combination of possible mix-ups! :anibad:

Hi Everyone

Any takers before the competition closes in a few days time.

Regards Tarot

Hi Everyone

Any takers before the competition closes in a few days time.

Regards Tarot

well i am after an angel of the north coin, but i wasnt going to set it traveling for a while, i was going to activate it but keep it to allow visitors to discover it.

its up to you though, i would hope to be considered if no one else comes forward though.

I Have tried all over the country trying to get one of these sought after geocions and ive got to the stage where ive given up so will look forward to finally seeing what one looks like ....

Thanks The Dementors for the private message, the coin is yours. I have sent you an email requesting your address, so that I can get it posted ASAP. I am pleased to be able to help someone who has never been able to get a single coin.

Sorry Paganfrog, if I had 2 spare you would have been welcome. Hope you manage to get one.

Kind Regards Tarot