Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

I see we have our first coin (that I know of anyway) listed on ebay this evening

Yep, I just saw that ... it probably is against forum guidelines to say exactly what I think of the scumbag.

Of course it may not be a cacher, but just an enterprising muggle who stumbled across this promotion (perhaps a staff member) and saw the opportunity for some capitalist free enterprise...

I would suspect that as he has blanked out the coin number, he knows what he is doing, not such an innocent.

I see we have our first coin (that I know of anyway) listed on ebay this evening

Yep, I just saw that ... it probably is against forum guidelines to say exactly what I think of the scumbag.

But when the shop hands over a coin doesn't it become the property of the person it is given to? Who are we to tell another person what they should do with their own property as long as it is legal?

People are openly trading them. Presumably you think they're scumbags too?

Just curious, for those people who have got coins and released them - have they disappeared or are people moving them on? I'm planning on releasing the two I've got but am thinking they will probably be taken sooner rather than later. :lol:

In my opinion far to much is made of coin theft. I have quite a few out in the wild along with lots of Travel Bugs and in my experience the attrition rate for my geocoins is no worse than that for my TBs. Also for those that have gone missing, I am confident that none of them have been as a result of deliberate theft of the coin (or TB). the reasons that they have gone MIA is:

1) The cache that they were in was muggled or lost for some other reason,

2) It was picked up by a new cacher who dropped out soon after picking it up, probably not realising the significance of what they had.

or

3) Due to carelessness on the part of a cacher.

But I honestly believe that I have not lost any through anyone being malicious (famous last words :().

I am certain that the large majority of trackables do have a reasonable life out in the wild, people just don't come on here stating "My trackable has travelled another 10,000 miles in the last year and is doing really well, thanks to everyone who helped it on its way.". so this does tend to give a rather negative slant on the whole subject. Unless you just love collecting shiny things and showing them off at events I would recommend that you take the plunge and set them loose. You can help them live a longer more fulfilling life by attaching some sort of tag (usually via a key ring and a hole drilled in the coin) with an explanation of what it is and what its mission is. I am not saying that they won’t go missing, but that the picture is not as bad as it is often painted on here, after all what use is a registered Geocoin to anyone else, and should they go missing you have not lost out financially (with these ones) and you could always replace the missing coins with a facsimile.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do with them, but do try to share them, either in the wild or in a collection.

<edit>

Oh and as for your question ;) , it is way too early to say if any have gone missing.

Edited by Mad H@ter

I hope that ebay seller gets no interest in their geocoin.

I went and got a geocoin because I want to release one, not because I want to keep it or collect a set. And I think that's why Garmin have issued them (obviously to stimulate sales of their goods first and foremost) - to be released and tracked.

Just curious, for those people who have got coins and released them - have they disappeared or are people moving them on? I'm planning on releasing the two I've got but am thinking they will probably be taken sooner rather than later. :blink:

Well I released my first coin, coincidentally I met a cacher a carpark and we were both off to do the same cahce, so we walked together. When we got there we both pulled out our Big Bens (oooeeer Matron :anibad: ) so we swapped, I took his & he took mine. Mine was then picked up by someone I actually know and placed in another cache. Neither of these two cachers would be likely to nick my coin in the circumstances but I realise it's a big bad world out there and anything could happen to it.

Bottom line is that these are meant to travel so I'll be releasing all mine, if some git out there is sad enough to nick them to keep in a drawer with their other shiny things then so be it I won't lose any sleep over it as they didn't cost me anything. I've never drilled coins before but I will be drilling these which should at least keep them off fleabay.

I have received an apologetic email from Millets Customer Relations saying that coins should be in our local store from this Friday.

This Friday has come round and it's still the same story - they say that they don't have any, aren't getting any and none of the other Millets stores in the area will be getting any either :anibad: . Another email to Millets Customer Relations will be on its way soon.

MBF

Is there any terms and conditions which state these coins can not be sold? If not I'm afraid its fair game and looking at the listing it does appear the person has a firm grip on the concept of the geocoin so maybe not a muggle.

If this person collected the coin him/her self then I don't think there's much wrong in them selling it, or keeping it at home, it's theirs to do with as they please. The only objection I would have is if the coin was collected by someone else, and then hikacked to be sold which would be tantamount to theft IMHO.

Another question............. :blink:

I like my questions me.... :P

Who does that make worse.........the person who has acquired the coins and are selling them on Ebay for a profit, even though they MAY go to a buyer who will release them into a cache, although I doubt it if they have just paid a tenner for the coin.

Or me who has managed to beg/scrounge/swap three of the set of five coins from people who know full well I have no intention of releasing the coins, but will activate them (but will not enter the competition) and keep them in my small collection for meets/events ect.

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :anibad:

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :anibad:

You have to ask?

We all know you're a naughty girl, but we tolerate you because you got a cute dog, make nice calendars and do all that great work for.. erm.. you know..

CHARITY

Jon.

B):P

I was offered a coin today by email by a cacher I have never ever even heard of, I emailed the cacher back saying thank you very much but I already had that coin, but I had a good caching friend who I knew would love the coin, and I knew fine well that cacher wanted them to release, I got both cachers in contact with each other and now a spare coin is on its way to a cacher who does not have that one.

I dont want millions of coins (just one of each :D would do) and if I get offered any I dont need I will try my best to get them a good home :P

If anyone has a London lollipop or them old stones going spare please let me know :D shy bairns get nee supper as they say B):blink:

Mandy :D

Good news my fellow coin hunters...

Northern Ireland Millets have got the coins in now. So I have a master plan sweeping into action to get me some of those new shiny objects of desire.

Hopefully by sunday I will have a full set as I know at least the clifton and stone henge are available in Belfast but hopefully between the 2 stores i can get the set.

Thought I'd just send a quick email to the seller of the Garmin LE coin.

Asked them how many of these coins were minted.........here is their reply -

I know that the coin is difficult to come by. The London eye coin is the most popular Garmin coin to get hold of due to the prizes that you could get from it. Due to this Garmin didnt make as many London eye coins. Out of the 20 coins that were given to selected Millets and Black stores only 2 to 5 of the coins were London Eye coins. The other coins were other land marks of the uk that were randomly selected so in a bag you could have 2 of the same coins and in another you could 5 or 6. But each bag contained at least 2 coins for the London Eye.

Hope This Helps

This Friday has come round and it's still the same story - they say that they don't have any, aren't getting any and none of the other Millets stores in the area will be getting any either :anibad: . Another email to Millets Customer Relations will be on its way soon.

MBF

MB

I picked up a coin from Kendal Millets this lunchtime - they're only giving one out per person though, and it didn't look like they had may left. I'm hoping to pick another up for VMG/MiniG tomorrow...

Another question............. :anibad:

I like my questions me.... :D

Who does that make worse.........the person who has acquired the coins and are selling them on Ebay for a profit, even though they MAY go to a buyer who will release them into a cache, although I doubt it if they have just paid a tenner for the coin.

Or me who has managed to beg/scrounge/swap three of the set of five coins from people who know full well I have no intention of releasing the coins, but will activate them (but will not enter the competition) and keep them in my small collection for meets/events ect.

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? B)

Mandy :P

Everyone who gets a coin, or maybe even more, FOC is in profit however they come by it. I don't see trading the coin through ebay for cash to buy something else you desire as being any different to trading it directly for another coin you desire. What I do find strange is the assertion is that this seller is a "scumbag" merely because his transaction involves cash. Does the money really make it any different?

I suppose that if this evil ebay seller has only collected one coin he may be slightly "better" than those who have used subterfuge to wangle more than one coin for their own gain or pleasure whilst others go without. But it's all a pretty fine distinction in the grand scheme of life :blink:

Thought I'd just send a quick email to the seller of the Garmin LE coin.

Asked them how many of these coins were minted.........here is their reply -

I know that the coin is difficult to come by. The London eye coin is the most popular Garmin coin to get hold of due to the prizes that you could get from it. Due to this Garmin didnt make as many London eye coins. Out of the 20 coins that were given to selected Millets and Black stores only 2 to 5 of the coins were London Eye coins. The other coins were other land marks of the uk that were randomly selected so in a bag you could have 2 of the same coins and in another you could 5 or 6. But each bag contained at least 2 coins for the London Eye.

Hope This Helps

Ahhhhhhh so the lollipop is rare :D

Come on my Welsh/Staffordshire mates I am depending on you..............NO NO I mean this is a CHALLENGE for you B):blink:

What about those old stones they cant be rare they have been there for a few years !! :anibad:

M :P

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :D

Mandy :blink:

Both are the same.

One is a very greedy person, the other a very selfish person.

Ether way this will not endear Garmin or any other company to do such a nice free promotion.

It is perfectly clear that the promotion was not to intended for people to profit or for people to have their own private collections.

I like my questions me.... :blink:

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :D

Both are the same.

Ether way this will not endear Garmin or any other company to do such a nice free promotion.

It is perfectly clear that the promotion was not to intended for people to profit or for people to have their own private collections.

After what you did to me and many many local cachers know about and saw your very rude email to me B)

Do I look bovvvvvvvvvvvvvered or give a dam.n about what you lot think

Noooooooooooooo

Both are the same.

So if I posted you a £!0 note and my intention when I gave it to you was for you to set light to it. Would you do so or become a "greedy or selfish" person and keep it :anibad: ? Bearing in mind i'm not there to check you do it.

One of the defining thing with Geocaching is that everyone plays it their own way. Some people like collecting coins (my self included), others like to watch them travel.

The rules state that to enter the comp you should release them, not that by taking one you agree to place it into a cache. If that were the case it would be a geocacher only give away, not a public promotion.

Both are the same.

So if I posted you a £!0 note and my intention when I gave it to you was for you to set light to it. Would you do so or become a "greedy or selfish" person and keep it :P ? Bearing in mind i'm not there to check you do it.

One of the defining thing with Geocaching is that everyone plays it their own way. Some people like collecting coins (my self included), others like to watch them travel.

The rules state that to enter the comp you should release them, not that by taking one you agree to place it into a cache. If that were the case it would be a geocacher only give away, not a public promotion.

I think if someone is kind enough to give you something, then the item they have given you is then yours, and because it is yours you are free to do with it as you please, I have been given 3 coins by 3 cachers and my choice is to keep them, but I will not enter the competition with them.

Sorry but I would not burn a £10.00 note..............at least I am honest :D:anibad:

Both are the same.

I'm sure Garmin know a lot more about geocachers than your reply suggests, after all they are one of the (if not the) major suppliers of the equipment that our sport relies upon, and their equipment has partly evolved due to the sport (ie. geocaching mode). So I'm sure they expected a lot to keep the coins for private collections, at least if they're seen at events then they get more exposure than any that are collected by muggles (or employees) who won't be entering the competition if the coins never get activated. They have marketing departments who take these risks into account.

Another question............. :D

I like my questions me.... :blink:

Both are the same.

All that Garmin want is publicity. And they're certainly getting plenty of that. Surely you don't believe that these coins were produced purely as a gift to cachers :P

Having a coin sold on ebay only increases the exposure of the coins. I'm sure they're more than happy to see it happening B)

{snip}

Sorry but I would not burn a £10.00 note..............at least I am honest :anibad::blink:

And nor would I honestly expect you to! I might not see the value you you do so keep it!

So I'm sure they expected a lot to keep the coins for private collections, at least if they're seen at events then they get more exposure than any that are collected by muggles (or employees) who won't be entering the competition if the coins never get activated. They have marketing departments who take these risks into account.

Exactly. They know the game, they have planned it with Groundspeak as partners in the promotion. Even the designs were passed by GS (see comments made on the Big Ben design error). I think it was all considered and possibly the reason for the comparably large minting.

I'm with Mandy and several others. I see the value in the gift I was handed and will enjoy the coins in my collection.

{snip}

Sorry but I would not burn a £10.00 note..............at least I am honest :anibad::blink:

And nor would I honestly expect you to! I might not see the value you you do so keep it!

So I'm sure they expected a lot to keep the coins for private collections, at least if they're seen at events then they get more exposure than any that are collected by muggles (or employees) who won't be entering the competition if the coins never get activated. They have marketing departments who take these risks into account.

Exactly. They know the game, they have planned it with Groundspeak as partners in the promotion. Even the designs were passed by GS (see comments made on the Big Ben design error). I think it was all considered and possibly the reason for the comparably large minting.

I'm with Mandy and several others. I see the value in the gift I was handed and will enjoy the coins in my collection.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Thats 2 huge shocks in less than 10 minutes........... :P:cry::cry:

The winner of BB 2008 :DB)

And someone in these forums actually agreeing with me :P:D:DB):cry:

Tis OK Chris we can be evil, wicked, baddddddd people together :cry:

Are we bovvvvvvvvvered :cry:

Mandy :cry:

Another question............. :D

I like my questions me.... :anibad:

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :P

Both are the same.

So where does that put me.?

I HAD three coins.. One I gave away to a friend who just couldnt get one for love nor money. One I intend to release.. and One I am contemplating keeping.

Now.. one has to be very careful in answering as there are legalities in calling folks on this forum or any other.. Unless you can prove catogorically they are selfish or greedy then you can be held liable.. or is it slander.. never could tell.. in a court of law.. be careful what you say an imply.

Moss T

I hope that ebay seller gets no interest in their geocoin.

I went and got a geocoin because I want to release one, not because I want to keep it or collect a set. And I think that's why Garmin have issued them (obviously to stimulate sales of their goods first and foremost) - to be released and tracked.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - and the people who are selling these coins on ebay are no better or worse than the people who are on here bragging about having the whole set. Both groups can justify to themselves that what they're doing isn't against any rules, and neither group are harming anybody - other than depriving cachers who couldn't get to a Millets or Blacks that had the coins before they all disappeared.

What a caring, sharing society we live in...........................

Another question............. ^_^

I like my questions me.... ;)

So which is worse me scrounging and keeping them, or others acquiring them and selling them ? :unsure:

Both are the same.

Mandy :)

No I don't suppose you are bothered,but perhaps other people may see that the responsible and sensible thing to do would be to put out all the coins into caches the way that it is obvious when reading the promotion, that Garmin intended us to do.

Its their promotion and we should respect the way they want it to be run I feel.

To save me reading 595 posts, are these things available in Birmingham? Are there any left?

Branch phone numbers are available on the promotion website (see first post). I'd recommend giving them a ring and finding out first hand, rather than relying on someone who happened to pop in a couple of days ago....

J

Well what a surprise we were in Milletts in bournemouth looking for wet weather gear musing about the lack of good caching days when the children fell over the sign about the competion. A frenzied scramble to the desk resulted in the procurrement of a beautiful coin with stoneghenge on it :unsure: We also met another cacher who didn't have a clue what you were meant to do with them! and she worked in the shop ^_^ have activated it and released it! happy caching ....was also intrigued with the one entry per person rule!

One (1) entry per person only is permitted. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one Promotion entry by using multiple/different e-mail addresses, identities, logins, or any other methods will void that participant’s entry and result in his/her disqualification from the Promotion

This deters from the object of finding all five types of coin and also being able to log on the garmin website that you've 'found another' big bothers .....oh well we're very happy with ours ;) and will have to log in here if we find another and swap it for something else?

have fun minxyy and gang

Edited by minxyy

I don't see why the one entry into the competition would deter you from finding the reamaining coins.

You actually have to log onto the competiton site if you discover or retrieve a coin, to enter the competition.

Just logging a retrival or discovering a coin on geocaching.com does not automatically enter you into the competition.

Edited by skibumsuk