Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

I was in Kendal this morning so called into Millets - no sign of them and the friendly manager was sounding a little stressed by quite a few calls and visits from people wanting one, partly cos they are on the website as having them.

I think it's a great promotion for geocachers and no doubt it will get a few new folk interested but it's not been very well organised and could have had much greater impact properly handled.

Blacks in Hanley have run out.

Millets in Hanley have not had any yet, and the staff are getting fed up of people asking for one.

Great promotion by Garmin, but I think all the coins should have been distributed to the participating stores prior to announcing the start date. I also think that only one store per town/city should participate.

Ivan

i have managed to get hold of 2 different coins from the same store (on differetn days about a month apart)

guildford blacks had 3 left yesturday, angle of the north, london eye and the clifton suspension bridge, i very much doubt they have any left today as they said they were all going like hot cakes and would not put me one asisde when i said i could be down their with in 5 mins of coming off the phone from them.

I have just managed to get my hands on a Clifton Suspension Bridge coin fresh from my local millets store in Lichfield but I would love to swap it for an unactivated Big Ben.

If anyone is interested in a swap drop me a PM

Mark

Millets in York City Centre had a few of each coin today, apart from Big Ben.

Blacks didnt have any at all.

:rolleyes:

I have just managed to get my hands on a Clifton Suspension Bridge coin fresh from my local millets store in Lichfield but I would love to swap it for an unactivated Big Ben.

If anyone is interested in a swap drop me a PM

Mark

Millets in York City Centre had a few of each coin today, apart from Big Ben.

Blacks didnt have any at all.

:rolleyes:

Millets in Plymouth had some Clifton Suspension Bridge coins today. Blacks had some Angel of the North at the weekend but I was away and missed out on those. I was lucky enough to get the last of the 7 coins that arrived in Millets today and it is now activated and due to be released this afternoon although not in my name ;) .

I have mentioned before if your local store does not have any coins, it appears that they have to request them. If you are getting nowhere email Millets/Blacks customer support, asking why your store is missing out.

My local Millets got some today as customer support promised me they would, but they only had a couple left at about 4.30pm ;)

Been to Lincoln today. Millets haven't got any and have been told they aren't getting any - despite being on the list. Black's in Lincoln had none left - evidently they went fairly quickly.

Amazing - as there aren't all that many cachers round here. Did they give you an idea of whether they were getting any more?

I was surprised they had all gone (as was the shop manager - he thought there were some left, but the jiffy bag was empty!). Either a local cacher has a lot of coins, or they've gone to staff and friends, as has been suspected elsewhere :laughing:

The shop manager said they would not be getting any more.

Yep, I was in Blacks on Saturday(30th Aug) and the guy told me they'd had one lot of Big Bens and hadn't had anymore, i told him there was 5 different ones and asked if they would be gettting any more and he basically said he had no idea!!

Any way what you doing going to a Lincoln shop if you live in Derby?? B)

I tried the Douglas (IOM) Milletts and they were enthusiastic about the promotion, having had quite a few queries. Unfortunately, head office has said that they aren't going to send them any coins. :laughing:

As others have found elsewhere, just shows you how responses can vary in the same store. I enquired at Douglas Millets last week, and was met with a very unenthusiastic response (in my opinion). They had clearly had a number of enquiries, seemed to be fed up with them, had no inclination to check with anyone, nor did they even seem to want to receive any of the coins. Pointed out to them that they were listed on the Garmin website - which they said was wrong, but that they would not be doing anything to check up on, or correct. I was left with the impression they wanted rid of me and my question. I was intending shopping (or browsing at least) but was immediately switched off.

From reading the thread, it doesn't seem to be the fault of stores, or individual staff - the communication could have been better - but you still get a variance in the customer 'service' offered.

Ta

Finally got the full set. My daughter also has an account and just wants Big Ben to complete the set. I have released one already and will ensure all go out on their travels.

Millets in Macclesfield have about a dozen coins left I think they had them all bar Big Ben and The Angel of the North. I spent some time in there today explaining what caching is all about as well, but do not think I converted any of the staff, I think the pub is more their thing. :laughing:

Millets Leek is probably out by now.

Blacks Hanley out, Millets Hanley sending everyone to Blacks.

Been to Lincoln today. Millets haven't got any and have been told they aren't getting any - despite being on the list. Black's in Lincoln had none left - evidently they went fairly quickly.

Amazing - as there aren't all that many cachers round here. Did they give you an idea of whether they were getting any more?

I was surprised they had all gone (as was the shop manager - he thought there were some left, but the jiffy bag was empty!). Either a local cacher has a lot of coins, or they've gone to staff and friends, as has been suspected elsewhere :laughing:

The shop manager said they would not be getting any more.

Yep, I was in Blacks on Saturday(30th Aug) and the guy told me they'd had one lot of Big Bens and hadn't had anymore, i told him there was 5 different ones and asked if they would be gettting any more and he basically said he had no idea!!

Any way what you doing going to a Lincoln shop if you live in Derby?? B)

Not that it's relevant (bearing in mind how far others are travelling to get the coins), but I was over in the city visiting my family who still live there.

Millets newton Abbot were very helpful,the lady vaguely knew about it but was`nt to sure.So she phoned the Exeter branch who explained it all to her and she thought it sounded like good fun,although she did give me the impression that she thought they had to be hidden in store and that I would have to find them,But she took my contact details and phoned me today when they came in

Millets newton Abbot were very helpful,the lady vaguely knew about it but was`nt to sure.So she phoned the Exeter branch who explained it all to her and she thought it sounded like good fun,although she did give me the impression that she thought they had to be hidden in store and that I would have to find them,But she took my contact details and phoned me today when they came in

Did you have to search for them in store B) or did she have them behing the counter :laughing:

On Tuesday afternoon I added a post on here to see if anyone fancied a swap B)

Late Tuesday afternoon I got a reply from one of our fellow cachers saying that they would be happy to make a swap B)

Wednesday morning we both put our coins in the post. B)

Thursday morning our post arrived and there was my letter with a large tear down one side and nothing in the envelope other than a letter of thanks for the swap. B)

So how’s that for a record…….muggled before it even made it into a cache by some crooked postal worker :laughing: (My apologies to anyone on here who works for our beloved royal mail I’m not tarring all employees with the same brush.)

Anyhow…to cut a long story short I’m now still without my Big Ben coin so if there is still anyone out there who fancies a trade I still has an unactivated London Eye if anyone has an unactivated Big Ben B)

Either send me a PM or email via my profile page

Mark

Edited by The Mighty Shark

Winchester Update:

Blacks 1 maybe 2 Stonehenge left only

Millets: New load AOTN, Stonehenge & Clifton all available.

Spoke with both Blacks and Millets in Winchester today...

Blacks: have 4 coins left (only Stonehenge and AOTN)

Millets: have 8-10 coins left (got all designs bar Big Ben)

The bloke in Millets said they had had little to no response with the promotion and that I was the only person that had asked about it since they had run out of Big Bens a month ago (obviously not true going by previous post) whilst the people in Blacks had been apparently really busy with requests. Strange considering the stores are only about 200m apart!

Winchester Update:

Blacks 1 maybe 2 Stonehenge left only

Millets: New load AOTN, Stonehenge & Clifton all available.

Spoke with both Blacks and Millets in Winchester today...

Blacks: have 4 coins left (only Stonehenge and AOTN)

Millets: have 8-10 coins left (got all designs bar Big Ben)

The bloke in Millets said they had had little to no response with the promotion and that I was the only person that had asked about it since they had run out of Big Bens a month ago (obviously not true going by previous post) whilst the people in Blacks had been apparently really busy with requests. Strange considering the stores are only about 200m apart!

It may well have been true at the time, as I visited at closing time (literally, he had the key in the lock as I left...)

I see we have our first coin (that I know of anyway) listed on ebay this evening

Yep, I just saw that ... it probably is against forum guidelines to say exactly what I think of the scumbag.

Yeah!!

£10 for it!!

The seller even has the nerve to quote the web site and competition details!!

I see we have our first coin (that I know of anyway) listed on ebay this evening

Yep, I just saw that ... it probably is against forum guidelines to say exactly what I think of the scumbag.

Of course it may not be a cacher, but just an enterprising muggle who stumbled across this promotion (perhaps a staff member) and saw the opportunity for some capitalist free enterprise... :lol: