Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

Do you think it ok to send a coin over to the US?

It would be a shame to end up in some collection..., or worse sold!

In terms of spelling BLACKS.. What a cool idea

Could have had Kielder Water , any other suggestions?

Seeing as how it's all English based I guess Kew Gardens would qualify (Might not be as instantly recognisable as the others though)

Released my coin today, lets hope it continues to be moved along and allow lots of other cachers to enter the contest.

Question ?

The rules say only one entry per person, and I'm hoping this means entry into the contest via the entry form. Then we can still try to get hold of the other 4 coins in the series and release these as well. However when we log these future coins into a cache, it would count as another contest entry. How do you read the meaning of the rules ?

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

I must confess that I enjoy watching my coins travel through the caching world. I do get a little disappointed though when they are merely discovered and not moved!

Peter

Logging coins may get you an icon.

That's more than enough for some cachers. :(

I sometimes move and sometime just discover, and mostly not bother at all.

Please don't get too disappointed wiggles.

I must confess that I enjoy watching my coins travel through the caching world. I do get a little disappointed though when they are merely discovered and not moved!

Peter

Logging coins may get you an icon.

That's more than enough for some cachers. :ph34r:

I sometimes move and sometime just discover, and mostly not bother at all.

Please don't get too disappointed wiggles.

I like getting "discovered" logs. It confirms that the coin is still where it's meant to be (or not!). Previous to the "discovered" facility, people would just not bother noting the number if they weren't going to move the coin. Then you'd see that people had been to the cache and wonder why the coin hadn't been moved, and start suspecting that it had disappeared.

At a guess, I would say that London Eye will be out over the next couple of days, followed by Angel of the North a week later.

Promotion runs August 7th to September 30th

Big Ben - 7th August

London Eye - 15th August

Angel of the North - 22nd August

Clifton Bridge - 28th August

Stone Henge - 4th September

Leaving just over 3 weeks for the promotion to run after all coins are released.

This is all purely a guess, but it makes sense based on the dates they quoted. And as Midnight Ramblers said, the initials are very coincidental, so it's a possibility that may be the order they are releasing.

It's the 15th today - any sign of a London Eye coin anywhere ?

I guess the staff at Blacks might be starting to get annoyed at all the phone calls they are getting.

St. Pauls ran out of coins yesterday.

The girl there told me that they weren't sure whether they were getting any more.

It's possible that Blacks underestimated the popularity, and perhaps each store will only get one delivery. Maybe the next batch of coins will be released to stores that haven't already received deliveries.

It's also possible that she didn't know what she was talking about :ph34r:

Annoyingly, they also don't sell the Oregon 300 which is a bit stupid since that's one of the products being promoted.

At a guess, I would say that London Eye will be out over the next couple of days, followed by Angel of the North a week later.

Promotion runs August 7th to September 30th

Big Ben - 7th August

London Eye - 15th August

Angel of the North - 22nd August

Clifton Bridge - 28th August

Stone Henge - 4th September

Leaving just over 3 weeks for the promotion to run after all coins are released.

This is all purely a guess, but it makes sense based on the dates they quoted. And as Midnight Ramblers said, the initials are very coincidental, so it's a possibility that may be the order they are releasing.

It's the 15th today - any sign of a London Eye coin anywhere ?

I guess the staff at Blacks might be starting to get annoyed at all the phone calls they are getting.

We are in Glen Clova / Glen Doll next week which is literally in the middle of nowhere :huh: looks like I will be on the scrounges again :ph34r:

M :)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

What's the deal with the Picture of the clock on the back of the "Big Ben" coin? It reads: -

I

II

III

IV

VIII < eh??

VIII < eh??

VII

VIII

IX

X

XI

XII

Is there some kinda cryptic clue in there to something or other? Or can someone not count in Roman Numerals correctly?

Jon

Edited by Dakar4x4

What's the deal with the Picture of the clock on the back of the "Big Ben" coin? It reads: -

I

II

III

IV

VIII < eh??

VIII < eh??

VII

VIII

IX

X

XI

XII

Is there some kinda cryptic clue in there to something or other? Or can someone not count in Roman Numerals correctly?

Jon

OOOOhhhh Betty you bitchy cat :):huh:

Going for a look now :ph34r:

M :)

OOOOhhhh Betty you bitchy cat :):huh:

Bitchy? Me? :ph34r: Did that post come across Bitchy? Wasn't the intention, but rather pleased if it had that effect :)

I guess everyones coins will be same, from the same press/casting or whatever. Example from the Gallery...

12ca963e-2fee-453f-8f54-a870942e5005.jpg

Jon

Edited by Dakar4x4

:ph34r: I went into our local Milletts yesterday and they had no idea what i was talking about. They said they may get some coins but they are usually the last to know about anything!!

Well Aber IS the end of the line, so why am I not surprised?!

I shall keep trying. In the meantime if anyone can get a spare one and would be kind enough to send it my way I will gladly release it in Wales. :)

OOOOhhhh Betty you bitchy cat :D:)

Bitchy? Me? :huh: Did that post come across Bitchy? Wasn't the intention, but rather pleased if it had that effect B)

I guess everyones coins will be same, from the same press/casting or whatever. Example from the Gallery...

12ca963e-2fee-453f-8f54-a870942e5005.jpg

Jon

Oh the Roman Numerals are a bit naff B)

Jon, Jon, JON !! Who's Jon...or are you only Betty on a weekend ? :ph34r:

Fred :)

My daughter and I got our Coins from Milletts today - had to go over to Wales to collect them. When we got home, although there was the tracking No.s on the front of the coins there was nothing on the packaging to indicate the activation Codes. The packaging incidentally was the little plastic coin pouches. Where can I get hold of the Activation codes please?

Clankenn

My daughter and I got our Coins from Milletts today - had to go over to Wales to collect them. When we got home, although there was the tracking No.s on the front of the coins there was nothing on the packaging to indicate the activation Codes. The packaging incidentally was the little plastic coin pouches. Where can I get hold of the Activation codes please?

Clankenn

Activate them HERE the activation code is VisitUK.

This is from the very bottom of THIS page.

BTW, which Millets had them, and what type were they?

Question ?

The rules say only one entry per person, and I'm hoping this means entry into the contest via the entry form. Then we can still try to get hold of the other 4 coins in the series and release these as well. However when we log these future coins into a cache, it would count as another contest entry. How do you read the meaning of the rules ?

Regards Tarot

Did anyone have any thoughts on the interpretation of the rules?

Tarot

Hi Team Skully

I think you just fill the form in once but can log as many times as you wish.

This is how I am reading the rules, but it is not very clear.

I don't know how people finding coins would know about the competition though, nothing comes up when you log a coin. The only way for them to know would be for the owner to put details on the coin's page. Or have I missed something?

"Visit garminuk.geocaching.com for contest Information" is printed on the geocoin under the picture of the clock tower.

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

Have been into the Blacks and Millets stores in Exeter today and although the staff knew what I was talking about they said that they weren't anticipating any coins in the near future. By all accounts Garmin have underestimated the popularity of the coins and underproduced them and it seems that South West England is the last on the delivery list :anibad: If any of you kind people would like to post any spare coins which you may manage to aquire this wasy we will be more than happy to get them circulating down here for you. Might even manage to get one as far down as Cornwall.

My take on the rules is this:

-Log as many coins as you like through the regular method.

-Enter your details once on the competition page (I don't think it would actually matter too much if you were to enter your details more than once there, as they will have the record of the GC account name, and will probably filter out multiple entries - I wouldn't take the risk though :anibad: ).

I think what they're really looking out for is multiple GC account names registered under the same address. So if you were to set up several new GC usernames and register them on the competition page with the same address, they will disqualify you.

I suspect that they will pick a winner from the entries, and then check to see if there are any other usernames with the same address. If there are matching addresses, then the entry will be disqualified, and they will pick another entry.

I would therefore recommend that families who have multiple GC accounts (ie one for the dad, one for the mum, one for a child, etc) think twice before each registering there competition entries - particularly if you've convinced your spouse/brother/etc to set up a new account just to enter the competition. Common sense dictates that if the accounts are all very active, then they'll still accept the entry, but who knows!

I would therefore recommend that families who have multiple GC accounts (ie one for the dad, one for the mum, one for a child, etc) think twice before each registering there competition entries -

I think that's really unfair :anibad: I am my own person and so is my son - we have separate GC accounts, separate email addresses, but we just happen to live under the same roof (he is only 11 after all :D ). I don't see why we should be penalised for both wanting to enter the competition - we both have a coin each :D:)

I would therefore recommend that families who have multiple GC accounts (ie one for the dad, one for the mum, one for a child, etc) think twice before each registering there competition entries -

I think that's really unfair :P I am my own person and so is my son - we have separate GC accounts, separate email addresses, but we just happen to live under the same roof (he is only 11 after all :D ). I don't see why we should be penalised for both wanting to enter the competition - we both have a coin each :P:laughing:

Send him off to live with a relative.

Sorry can't help with his age!

I think that's really unfair :P I am my own person and so is my son - we have separate GC accounts, separate email addresses, but we just happen to live under the same roof (he is only 11 after all :D ). I don't see why we should be penalised for both wanting to enter the competition - we both have a coin each :P:laughing:

so you wouldn't mind if he won a holiday and left you at home

Have been into the Blacks and Millets stores in Exeter today and although the staff knew what I was talking about they said that they weren't anticipating any coins in the near future. By all accounts Garmin have underestimated the popularity of the coins and underproduced them and it seems that South West England is the last on the delivery list

I don't think it's because you're in the south-west. Cambridge haven't even heard of them (well, they have now, but...). If anyone has a spare one, I would happily have it, and I promise to release it!

None in Bath in either the Millets or the Blacks (why does bath have so many camping / outdoor shops?)

It would be a shame if they aren't released in the SW given 2 of the images are from or very close to the area.

Maybe thats why there are not being released in that area as the purpose is to make you discover England or the UK as they are trying to say. So releasing coins with places you will have already discovered would not help fulfill the idea.

Better to send them all to Northern Ireland so we can all come and discover the mainland!! :laughing::P

I'm sure all of us from different areas in the UK can think of lots of places which should have got a coin.

I know from my point of view The Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland would definitely tick all the boxes you could ever have from minting a coin.

One of the reasons it is on my coin promoting this wee corner.

Tried my luck in Shrewsbury today. Blacks said they had some but they had all gone, they have no idea whether they are expecting any more. They said they knew nothing about it until someone came in and asked for one!! They had them the same day and they all went. They seemed surprised LOL I explained there is a very good grapevine :laughing:

Then I tried Millet's.. lots of cheap tents and camping goodies but no coins, no idea whether they will get any although one of the staff did seem to know about them. Neither of the shops had any publicity material whatsoever on display.

He couldn't enter anyway, the rules state that it is open to people over 18 years of age.

Good point. That's why we used his dad's details when he entered the competition :P

Oh, and Munkeh, he's one of my bestest friends so I reckon he'd take me on holiday with him if he won. If he doesn't, I'll impose sanctions :laughing::P

Travelled down to Suffolk at the weekend and decided to visit some Blacks and Millets stores along the way.

Blank faces in Millets in Boston, Kings Lynn, Norwich (x 2) and Lowestoft. No one knew anything about the coins, infact no one appeared to have heard of geocaching.

Blacks in Norwich were a different story, very knowledgeable and helpful staff but sadly still no coins.

They are expecting more though - possibly on Thursday.

Tried Blacks in Plymouth the other day (well, one of the two).

The response I got was "No" to do you have them, and to my question, 'Do you know if you are going to be getting them in'........... "No".

Helpful! :D

As other people have been saying, looks like the South West are missing out a bit. :D