Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

Thanks Mrs B

Now can someone tell this thick Geordie how I get it on to Garmins sight, as the rules state you have to drop it off in 1 week from registering it. So I did that and then checked Garmins site to see if it was on the activity list and its not. What am I doing wrong, or do I have to redeem my signal stamps??? :rolleyes:

Oh and how do I get the pic on te gallery, I tried to get one on vision on and that failed as well.

Does anyone know when the others, apart from Big Ben, are going to be in the stores?

It would be nice to collect all 5 and send them on there way.

BTW. Bluewater tell me they are 'sold out'! and Lakeside have about 5 more left.

TLHM

PS. Just like to say thanks to alfarrow for the tip off. I don't get on the forum as much as I use to so never saw the thread.

Released mine yesterday, can I have a point for playing the game??? :huh:

King of the Greenwood just outside Newcastle.

We have just done that cache today, and I can say when we did it the coin was not in there. :)

We did not do the cache to find the coin as I have only just read your thread, and I had no idea you had dropped it in there.

Maybe someone was there earlier today before us and has not logged yet :)

Mandy :D

We picked up 3 in Canterbury yesterday, one for us, one each for two teams who couldn't make it to the shop. I'm posting theirs to them on Monday so they can start playing too.

Another one reluctant to let ours loose here in Kent. I'll be drilling it first, not that drilling them has had any effect on them disappearing down here :huh: I'll start it off in a local cache then send it out of the county to travel.

When I spoke to the lady in Blacks in Chester she told me that they had only been sent the Big Ben ones.

Now, from the fact that she told me that they are expecting more deliveries of the coins, and that EVERYONE in the UK seems to have Big Ben ones, I assume that the others will be released throughout the promotion.

I still say that they are doing nothing to promote Garmin or Geocaching, as there waqs no promotional stuff up, and I had to ask for the coin and she dug one out from under the desk... still... if it means we all get nice shiney coins, I don't mind.

Mrs B..... As soon as I have access to GC.com (Laptop broken and work puter doesn't alllow acces to it, but does to the forums for some reason!!) I'll activate and drop it - I want my Green Signal stamps!!!

Please - Can I appeal to everyone lucky enough to get hold of these coins to "play the game" and release them into caches? The whole point is for them to move around so that as many cachers as possible get to log them and so have a chance to enter this promotion.

MrsB

Hear hear... as they are free, it's a bit mean to hang onto them. I am going to drill and tag mine so hopefully it will not go walkies into somebody's collection (mission : to avoid Kent). I am hoping that the fact that they are owned by people, not some faceless corporation, will ensure their longevity.

BTW, being pedantic here, but the coin depicts Saint Stephen's Tower and not 'Big Ben'... there is no image of Big Ben anywhere on the coin!! :huh:

To encourage coins to be released and continued circulation, Garmin should enter the owner into the competition every time the coin is retrieved from a cache, and the finder is entered into the competition only when they place the coin into a cache.

Mine will be released on Sunday, assuming I find the cache I intend to place it in.

Ivan

Now can someone tell this thick Geordie how I get it on to Garmins sight, as the rules state you have to drop it off in 1 week from registering it. So I did that and then checked Garmins site to see if it was on the activity list and its not. What am I doing wrong, or do I have to redeem my signal stamps??? :huh:

My guess is that Garmin will be getting updates from the geocaching.com database every so often - say, when they're about to make one of the prize draws. I wouldn't expect them to be up to date in real time.

To encourage coins to be released and continued circulation, Garmin should enter the owner into the competition every time the coin is retrieved from a cache, and the finder is entered into the competition only when they place the coin into a cache.

Since there is nothing to stop you or your socks "retrieving" the coins dozens of times per hour, this would kill the game. It's bad enough seeing the lengths some people will go to just to get the coins; when a £500 holiday voucher, or a GPSr which you could flog on eBay for £200 and up an hour later, people will be prepared to put in some serious effort.

It's the first time that something like this has been tried, so there could well be "bugs" in the design of the game which make it "hackable", but apparently this one, at least, has been spotted.

Now can someone tell this thick Geordie how I get it on to Garmins sight, as the rules state you have to drop it off in 1 week from registering it. So I did that and then checked Garmins site to see if it was on the activity list and its not. What am I doing wrong, or do I have to redeem my signal stamps??? :blink:

My guess is that Garmin will be getting updates from the geocaching.com database every so often - say, when they're about to make one of the prize draws. I wouldn't expect them to be up to date in real time.

I hope thats right its just that I read Garmins leaflet (I know saddo eh) and that said go back and register where you had left the coin so I tried and nothing there. I did notice this morning that the progress bit of the site has vanished so maybe more folk than they expected to play the game are taking part and its crashed. Who knows eh?

Get those Signal stamps ready Mrs B looks like you may need a few :)

Here's an interesting thought... the competition rules say

One (1) entry per person only is permitted. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one Promotion entry by using multiple/different e-mail addresses, identities, logins, or any other methods will void that participant’s entry and result in his/her disqualification from the Promotion

But you do not have to log in when you fill in the competition entry form, just complete your details. This means I could increase my own chances of winning by registering spurious competition entries from everyone else and voiding their genuine entry? Hmmmm.... :blink:

I got one! :)

Having just found and read the entire of the thread, I rang Milletts and Blacks in Gloucester, then Milletts in Cheltenham - none of whom had any. Finally I tried Blacks in Cheltenham and they had some!:D

I just did a round trip of just under and hour and half to go and get one and am now insanely excited. Little things eh?! :blink:

The guy there didn't really know what it was about either, but the piece of paper he was literally just reading about it said that there would be 2 further deliveries at some stage.

Peterborough and Basingstoke also out.

The Peterborough store told Mum that different areas were getting the different designs, however this appears to be wrong as we all have Big Ben. They also said that they were expecting just 2 more deliveries during the promotional period.

Blacks in Basingstoke, who I rang at lunchtime, said they didn't know about it until they fell through the letterbox and have no idea about other designs, deliveries etc.

Sounds like we should just keep trying throughout the period.

And not wishing to open a can of worms (but no doubt doing so):

Why shouldn't the individual that collects a coin decide whether to release it or not?

I understand that this is a competition and that keeping a coin limits other peoples potential entries. However, They have offered these coins free and for you to take ownership. Therefore once you have the coin why not do what you want? In fact, with the events that I plan (and hope) to get to before the end of September the coin would reach more people in my hands than in a cache. Following the 30th sept the coin is just another coin and therefore the owner would be in full rights to collect it in again anyway. So why put them out ready for others to poach into their collections?

Here's an interesting thought... the competition rules say

One (1) entry per person only is permitted. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than one Promotion entry by using multiple/different e-mail addresses, identities, logins, or any other methods will void that participant’s entry and result in his/her disqualification from the Promotion

But you do not have to log in when you fill in the competition entry form, just complete your details. This means I could increase my own chances of winning by registering spurious competition entries from everyone else and voiding their genuine entry? Hmmmm.... :blink:

I think they're looking out for people who set up multiple Geocaching.com usernames (particularly with the same address) in order to register more than one entry. I suspect that there would be no harm in entering multiple times with the same GC username - but I bet you still only get one entry.

I'm unsure how they would manage this with members of the same family (with different GC names) registering multiple times. I guess that if there is one entry for a very active account, and another entry (with the same address) for a brand new account that only has activity relating to the coin, then they will void the entries. Not the easiest thing to manage, but would you take the risk after reading the warning?

With regards to whether coins should be released. Quite simply, if Garmin release 2000 geocoins, and only 200 of them actually go out in to the wild, then I doubt very much Garmin would do something like this again. I would love to keep mine as a collectors item, but then I would love to see more promotions like this too. As a result, I released mine about 130 miles away from me over the weekend. If it ever travels back to me, I might keep it, but by that time it would have served it's promotional purposes.

I just hope I can convince others, so that we can see more things like this in the future.

And not wishing to open a can of worms (but no doubt doing so):

Why shouldn't the individual that collects a coin decide whether to release it or not?

I understand that this is a competition and that keeping a coin limits other peoples potential entries. However, They have offered these coins free and for you to take ownership. Therefore once you have the coin why not do what you want? In fact, with the events that I plan (and hope) to get to before the end of September the coin would reach more people in my hands than in a cache. Following the 30th sept the coin is just another coin and therefore the owner would be in full rights to collect it in again anyway. So why put them out ready for others to poach into their collections?

Ah, the eternal battle between the collective good and that of the individual. Google "Prisoner's Dilemma" if you want to see what the world's great philosophers have to say on the subject.

On an individual basis, there's nothing "wrong" with hanging on to the coin. There's nothing in the conditions of taking the coin that says that you owe Milletts/Blacks, Garmin, EnjoyEngland, or Groundspeak anything at all if you decide to keep it in your sock drawer, drop it in the river as a protest against some injustice which you may believe that one of those organisations has done to you, or simply sell it on eBay.

However, to hoard it solely on the grounds that "if I don't, somebody else will" strikes me as a philosophy which could be interpreted by some as, er, let's stick with "slightly cynical". So if I were planning to adopt such a strategy, I might not choose to advertise it in a forum. :blink: (Personally I'm not sure how much pleasure one can get from collecting something which was obtained for free with minimal effort - assuming you were likely to be driving fairly close to the shop anyway - but that's not my problem.)

There is also the issue that if 90% of the people who get the coins just hoard them, that might well be a reason for the sponsors to think twice before launching such a promotion in future.

There's nothing in the conditions of taking the coin that says that you owe Milletts/Blacks, Garmin, EnjoyEngland, or Groundspeak anything at all if you decide to keep it in your sock drawer, drop it in the river as a protest against some injustice which you may believe that one of those organisations has done to you

:blink: I can imagine someone, on a lonely footbridge over a remote stream, venemously chucking a coin into the water shouting "Hah! Take that Millets! Those fell boots you sold me in 1978 were rubbish!"

picked up one today from Blacks in Ambleside. they still have a few left and have loads of advertising. i had a great chat with the people working in the shop, one is into caching and the other is very interested to get started, so i guess the promotion is working if only on millets and blacks staff!

btw the activation cose as freely advertised on the website is: VisitUK

:) Just got back after a few days away to find this thread. No coins left in any of the listed shops it would be sensible for me to drive to.

Anyone got a spare ?

It would get released !

Hi Paul & Ros. I did your Sel-by dates cache a while back - very nice walk!

I haven't got a spare one, but did release one on Sunday in Cawood which hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on. I very, very nearly released it into Sel-by dates, but because there's not been much activity there lately, I chose another nearby one. Sorry 'bout that :blink:

I hope you manage to get one though. Monks Cross I think are on the list of participating stores - have you tried there?

... And not wishing to open a can of worms (but no doubt doing so):

Carry on... we can cope :blink:

Whilst I believe your motives are honourable, Bambography, I'd still like to see folks abide by the Rules for this Competiton, which clearly state

Rules of the Game

* Geocoins must be placed in a geocache within one week of activation.

MrsB :)

Best not activate it then :blink:

This is why I have not activated mine yet. If I can swap it next week for the "Local" one then I will. If I can not then I will drill it and set it loose then. Technically within the rules, and morally only an extra three days, so hopefully no one will get overly upset.

I got one today in Ayr Blacks. They arrived mid morning.

Just thinking up a mission

:blink: Hmmm, greetings WDC. You got on a lot better than us. We phoned Blacks today and they had not a clue what we were talking about. Will need to make a visit I think....

Well if nothing else - I'd like a chance to see one, if nobody releases theirs then that's kind of unlikely.

Steve, I'm more than happy to send mine to you - given your hopsitality earlier this year. I've registered it, and although I was planning to take it to Germany next week (and thereby really spread the word about visiting England :) ) I'm more than happy to see it travel to Cornwall.

Let me know via my profile if you'd like me to arrange this. :blink:

Whilst I believe your motives are honourable, Bambography, I'd still like to see folks abide by the Rules for this Competiton, which clearly state

Rules of the Game

MrsB :blink:

Of course, someone wouldn't be breaking the rules of the competition if they collected a coin but chose not to enter the competition.

Lisa

I am of the understanding that not all recipients of these coins are likely to be registered on GC.com. Have I misunderstood something? :blink:

Anyone can pick up a coin but they have to register @gc.com to enter the competition

Hypothetical question.

So, I'm not a cacher, have no idea what a Geocache is, I've been given this FREE shiney coin (because no cachers have been in the store first!), 'Activate' and 'Geocache' mean nothing to me so I don't know what to do (don't even care), why shouldn't I keep the shiney coin?

Hypothetical question.

So, I'm not a cacher, have no idea what a Geocache is, I've been given this FREE shiney coin (because no cachers have been in the store first!), 'Activate' and 'Geocache' mean nothing to me so I don't know what to do (don't even care), why shouldn't I keep the shiney coin?

Good point.

I'm getting the impression from these posts that the staff in the many of the stores aren't very well informed about geocaching generally. Is there a leaflet or something supplied with each of these geocoins so that each recipient can understand what they need to do?

MrsB