Garmin geocoin promotion:All coin versions now released.

slimey

Got mine from Blacks in Derby at lunchtime today. They had a padded bag with the coins in near the GPS units on the ground floor. :laughing:

Can't seem to activate it though. The http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/link to activating the coin gives a 'page not found' error, and the normal geocaching coin activation page wants an activation code which I do not have. HELP!!! :wub:

Please let me know where you found the url (http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/link) so that we can look into the issue and hopefully address it.

If you use the 'Activate a Geocoin' section on this page: http://garminuk.geocaching.com, you shouldn't have the 'page not found' issue. Also, the activation code is included on that page directly below the tracking number entry field.

I hope this helps.

Picked one up in Newcastle this morning, luckily I printed out the first page from the Garmin site. Had to persuade them that it started yesterday the 7th even though they could read it on the page. They reluctantly gave me a coin but I had to leave the printed page and my e-mail address so Blacks could "register" the coin with Garmin??!!

Activation code is :- VisitUK

Got mine from Blacks in Derby at lunchtime today. They had a padded bag with the coins in near the GPS units on the ground floor. :laughing:

Can't seem to activate it though. The http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/link to activating the coin gives a 'page not found' error, and the normal geocaching coin activation page wants an activation code which I do not have. HELP!!! :wub:

Please let me know where you found the url (http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/link'>http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/link) so that we can look into the issue and hopefully address it.

If you use the 'Activate a Geocoin' section on this page: http://garminuk.geocaching.com, you shouldn't have the 'page not found' issue. Also, the activation code is included on that page directly below the tracking number entry field.

I hope this helps.

If you go to the garmin uk page (http://garminuk.geocaching.com) and scroll down to the section 'How to join the search this summer', the second bullet point is -

Activate your Geocoin by entering its unique ID tracking number here. Don't forget to give your new Geocoin a mission

Clicking on the link 'here' takes you to the page http://garminuk.geocaching.com/activate/ which give the 'page not found' error.

Alan

Mrs BHH popped into town today.

The staff in Millets thought she was mad, but she found someone in Blacks who knew about the promotion, and she was advised that they were expecting a delivery of coins 'next week'.

Note - the Blacks in our local town is NOT on the list of participating stores, so if you do live near a 'non-participating' store, give it a try, you never know! :laughing:

Edited by The Birches Head Hunters

Got mine today, one for me & one for the missus. 'cos I don't have the front to ask for 2 coins I went to the St Pauls and the Holborn branches in London to pick up one in each. The St Pauls were fine about it, had a little chat about how they'd had loads of people coming in and didn't know anything about them at first. In the Holborn shop I went to one till, where the assistant told me I had to go to another till, as I was walking across the shop all the assistants were watching me, when I picked up the coin and was leaving all eyes were on me. I'm sure that when I left the shop they turned to each other and said "There goes another weirdo!".

Got mine today, one for me & one for the missus. 'cos I don't have the front to ask for 2 coins I went to the St Pauls and the Holborn branches in London to pick up one in each. The St Pauls were fine about it, had a little chat about how they'd had loads of people coming in and didn't know anything about them at first. In the Holborn shop I went to one till, where the assistant told me I had to go to another till, as I was walking across the shop all the assistants were watching me, when I picked up the coin and was leaving all eyes were on me. I'm sure that when I left the shop they turned to each other and said "There goes another weirdo!".

Yes, it was at the Holborn store where one of the staff said "Happy Hunting" in a slightly mocking voice as I left!

Picked mine up from Blacks at Broughton Retail Park (Border between Chester and N Wales) after a tip off from the Westviewers that they had had theirs form there earlier in the day.

If this is supposed to be promoting Garmin and/or caching, then it's useless, as there was no promotional stuff up in the store, and I asked for the coin and she hunted under the counter for a leaflet on it.

As I wish to change my GPS anyway, I asked out of interest if and when they would be getting in any Colorados. They shrugged and said - we know nothing about GPSs anyway - we just have to sell what we can!!!!

Dead useful that!

Picked mine up from Blacks at Broughton Retail Park (Border between Chester and N Wales) after a tip off from the Westviewers that they had had theirs form there earlier in the day.

If this is supposed to be promoting Garmin and/or caching, then it's useless, as there was no promotional stuff up in the store, and I asked for the coin and she hunted under the counter for a leaflet on it.

As I wish to change my GPS anyway, I asked out of interest if and when they would be getting in any Colorados. They shrugged and said - we know nothing about GPSs anyway - we just have to sell what we can!!!!

Dead useful that!

Doesn't surprise me in that I also subscribe to Trail. Britain's premier mountain hill hiking / summit kipping / light weight walking magazine. Trail went to a number of the 'big brand' outdoor shops to do a survey of boot trials, asking staff for advice, trying on boots, what the boots would be best for etc. The stores were the usual Blacks, Cotswold Outdoors, Ellis Brigham etc - and I do recall that Blacks were at the bottom... :D Shame - its a whole lot easier for me to get to a Blacks... :D

The 'Search for a Geocoin' option from the main page doesn't work either...

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /error/404.aspx

Cheers,

Jon.

Picked one up from Blacks in Bluewater today and passed some information about the promotion onto the staff there - they were not well informed! As others have said, they were stored below the checkout desk with no promo info visible in store.

Blacks in TW didn't know what I was talking about when I rang them yesterday although I wasn't there first caller asking about it! Similarly Millets in Tonbridge didn't know what I was talking about when I rang them yesterday and they informed me that they only sell one Garmin product....

Will have to see how they get rolled out over the next few weeks.

Has anyone picked up from Bournemouth? It's a half hour each way trip for me so don't want to go in vain.

Ta

mousytrap

Managed to pick up 2 today at Blacks in Bournemouth :D:D:D

I got the mother-in-law to drop me off this morning and while she drove round the block I sauntered in and asked for a coin. I was given one, but when I asked if I could have one for my son (who wasn't with me at the time) I was told "Only one per person - he'll have to come in himself." :D

An hour later I sent the other 3 Badgers (Badger #2, Kazmeister and OakusPokus) in for 3 coins. So while I drove round the block they did the biz - but only came out with 1 coin. "Only 1 per family" was the story this time :D

Ah well, we tried. I'll still be checking Blacks in Camberley regularly though B) I guess the difficulty will be when we register them, but it would have been good if Garmin had mentioned the restriction - and supply problems - on the website. :P:D

Will be taking mine to Heffalump007's cache bash tomorrow if anyone wants a peek :D:D

Has anyone got any pictures of the coins apart from the 'Big Ben' one that is on the garmin.geocaching.com site? I'd be very interested to see them.

Has anyone got a spare coin :D

Please...PRETTY PLEASE

And yes I will admit if I can get a set of all 5 I will keep them :D

Now be honest I bet a few other were going to too, and how many muggles will be come cachers and how many will chuck the coin in a drawer/bin :D

I dare swap ya for a Mega Event Calendar :D (can I say that here :D )

M :D

Has anyone got any pictures of the coins apart from the 'Big Ben' one that is on the garmin.geocaching.com site? I'd be very interested to see them.

Has anyone got a spare coin :grin:

Please...PRETTY PLEASE

And yes I will admit if I can get a set of all 5 I will keep them :lol:

Now be honest I bet a few other were going to too, and how many muggles will be come cachers and how many will chuck the coin in a drawer/bin :rolleyes:

I dare swap ya for a Mega Event Calendar :lol: (can I say that here B) )

M :cool:

Hi Mandy I have activated ours but we can offer an adoption if you want... (note to self learn how to do this) Cheers Mark :cool:

Managed to get to Blacks in Leeds... started a discussion amonst the staff... See I told you they would go, didn't I...; yes you did, but did you expect them to go this quick....; Well no but that's the lot gone in less than a day!!! :rolleyes::lol: ..... LOL. MaxKim

Rules of the Game

* Geocoins must be placed in a geocache within one week of activation. If you find a Garmin Geocoin and choose to leave it in the cache, make a note of its unique ID and discover the coin online to enter the contest.

Absolutely - they aren't for collecting but for releasing into the wild.
Rules of the Game

* Geocoins must be placed in a geocache within one week of activation. If you find a Garmin Geocoin and choose to leave it in the cache, make a note of its unique ID and discover the coin online to enter the contest.

And how many muggles that walk into a shop get a free coin they have no idea what it is/what it is for will do that :rolleyes:

The wombat and I got ours today in the Canterbury Blacks - double edged sword though, what with living in Kent....we get free coins, but noone wants to let them loose!...

if you need any moving away from kent, then you can post any to myself and I will let them loose up here.

thats what we did with some others than needed shifting

Please - Can I appeal to everyone lucky enough to get hold of these coins to "play the game" and release them into caches? The whole point is for them to move around so that as many cachers as possible get to log them and so have a chance to enter this promotion.

It's bad enough when people hoard the Jeeps :rolleyes: ... let's not get into that same situation with these coins.

MrsB