Going to buy a GPS

I am thinking of buying a Garmin eTrex Venture HC........i need to buy it buy tonight. POST ASAP!

I’m not sure what GPSr type emergency you’re having. You may want to consider doing a little research first rather than making a hasty purchase. There lots of options. Like it was said above…..the Garmin units have been compared to death here…..if you’re pressed for time why not try a forum search.

I got the Venture HC.

Works great.

Sorry to bother all.

It wasn't a bother--but folks were trying to advise you so you would be happy with your purchase in the long term--which may ultimately save you money.

Of course the Venture HCx works just fine--just about any Garmin unit you buy will work to get you to the cache. Some of them just offer a few more features that will make it more convenient for you to get there.

You could have spent a few dollars more and gotten a unit with a micro card slot that would also offer you the ability to add thousands of waypoints as points of interest, to hold more maps, twice as many saved tracks, and to auto-route to the cache (once you added additional maps).

You could have had a unit that holds more waypoints (1000--yours will hold 500) and 20 rather than 10 saved tracks.

You could have had one that floats (the 76 CSx).

You could have had both serial and USB connectivity and tide tables (the 76CSx or the 60CSx)

You could have had a unit with an electronic compass and altimeter (So OK, most people don't use those. I do).

Of all those features, the one that will most likely impact you first is not being able to load as many maps. Of course, we used our eTrex Legends for a couple of years and never added additional maps. We had to do some advance research of the maps on the cache page and carry paper maps too for out of town trips, but we managed just fine. It was a huge time saver when we upgraded to auto-routing units with additional maps, though.

However, there is nothing "wrong" with a Venture HC and I hope you continue to appreciate it for a long time to come.