LOOK AT ME! Election 2008 Contest

CacheNCarryMA

Now that John McCain has dragged Paris Hilton into the fray with his latest TV ad calling Barack Obama a "celebrity", and Paris has spoken, it's time for the "LOOK AT ME!!!" travel bug and all its watchers to weigh in on Election 2008 with a contest.

The contest prize will be an authentic lapel button from the 1972 presidential campaign (similar to the one depicted below), a squished penny from the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace, and three FTF bumper stickers. I picked up the 1" button at the Nixon library and birthplace while I was on vacation last month. If you're ever in Yorba Linda, CA, it's worth stopping there.

27912561v1_240x240_Front.jpg

CONTEST RULES

- All participants must put the LOOK AT ME!!! Travel Bug on their geocaching.com watchlist.

- One entry per account watching the LOOK AT ME TB.

- Entries must be received by September 30, 2008.

- To enter, guess the nationwide popular vote, by percentage, for Senator John McCain and Senator Barack Obama in the US Presidential election on November 4, 2008. For a tie breaker , guess the number of states the winning candidate wins by electoral vote.

- Send your guess to LOOK_AT_ME_TB at hotmail dot com.

- Put your geocaching screen name and guess in the subject line of your email. Put the winning candidate's name first after your screenname For example, "CacheNCarryMA - Obama 47%, McCain 45%, Obama wins 28 states". Incomplete entries will not be accepted.

- The entry which correctly identifies the election winner, and is closest to the actual percentage of popular vote for McCain and Obama is the winner.

- The nationwide total popular vote percentages, as reported by the New York Times on the day following the losing candidate's concession speech, will be used as the "official" numbers for this contest.

Good luck and thanks for watching my travel bug!

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I figure September 30 is as good a deadline as any. What could happen in the six weeks or so between now and September 30 or the six weeks between September 30 and the election to screw up your guess?

I mean, we already know McCain dumped his first wife after she was in a near fatal car wreck to marry his current millionaire wife, and that he graduated 894th out of 899 students in his class at Annapolis. And we already know that Obama is a Muslim, his middle name is "Hussain", his last name rhymes with Osama, and that he did cocaine in college. But those things don't matter, do they? :mad:

So what else could change the polls as they stand today?

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

It occurred to me that two people may want to make the same guess (due to the relatively small range of possibilities) and we'll need a tie breaker. Please also add the number of states you think the winner will take by the electoral vote.

Like this:

CacheNCarryMA - Obama 47%, McCain 45%, Obama wins 28 states

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I figure September 30 is as good a deadline as any. What could happen in the six weeks or so between now and September 30 or the six weeks between September 30 and the election to screw up your guess?

I mean, we already know McCain dumped his first wife after she was in a near fatal car wreck to marry his current millionaire wife, and that he graduated 894th out of 899 students in his class at Annapolis. And we already know that Obama is a Muslim, his middle name is "Hussain", his last name rhymes with Osama, and that he did cocaine in college. But those things don't matter, do they? :laughing:

Of course, we are assuming the presumptive nominees are nominated.

Now that John McCain has dragged Paris Hilton into the fray with his latest TV ad calling Barack Obama a "celebrity", and Paris has spoken, it's time for the "LOOK AT ME!!!" travel bug and all its watchers to weigh in on Election 2008 with a contest.

I don't know about the contest, but that Paris Hilton video you linked is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. :rolleyes:

I have LOOK AT ME on my watch list, but since the site upgrade, I am not getting notifications consistently like I used to.

I mean, we already know McCain dumped his first wife after she was in a near fatal car wreck to marry his current millionaire wife, and that he graduated 894th out of 899 students in his class at Annapolis. And we already know that Obama is a Muslim, his middle name is "Hussain", his last name rhymes with Osama, and that he did cocaine in college. But those things don't matter, do they? :blink:

Of course, we are assuming the presumptive nominees are nominated.

I am assuming Obama and McCain will be on the ballot in November. You are free to guess "Clinton 52%, Romney 48%" if you like the longshots. :)

tnt4utvols - McCain 51%, Obama 48%, McCain wins 29 states

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geojerry7 - Obama 60%, McCain 40%, Obama 40 states

gamecockfan1 - Obama 52%, McCain 47%, Obama 23 states

Only three entries so far? Are people waiting for Obama to return from vacation? Waiting to see the veeps?

MountainRacer - McCain 56%, Obama 42%, McCain wins 32 states

flgAZ - Mccain 53%, Obama 47,% Mccain wins 38 states

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flgAZ - McCain 53%, Obama 47,% McCain wins 38 states

Squirrel777 - McCain 53%, Obama 46%, McCain wins 29 states‏

LHollo777 - McCain 52%, Obama 46%, McCain wins 30 states‏

lexi_kaye - McCain 48% Obama 42%, McCain wins 26 states‏

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Time to throw my guess into the mix.

CacheNCarryMA - McCain 50%, Obama 50%, McCain wins 31 states (McCain wins popular vote by < 1%)

Time to sweeten the deal on this contest.

I met briansnat at a geomeet today, and got his autograph!

In addition to the Nixon pin, squished penny, and FTF stickers, I'll add the item pictured below. It's an autographed one-of-a-kind briansnat 2008 campaign mini-poster. Its value is inestimable (is that a word?). Pretty sure it's the most valuable thing that's been given away through the LOOK AT ME!!! travel bug. It's the only one like it in the universe. Kinda like a T206 Honus Wagner baseball tobacco card.

9e0a82b1-3d32-4292-ae4e-e0dc615a205e.jpg

What the world needs now...

There was quite a low voter turnout on this contest. Doesn't everyone want to win a Richard Nixon pin?!? Unless I receive some last minute entries in the next hour and a half, I guess that's all.

Can pdx spotters pull off two victories?

CacheNCarryMA - McCain 50%, Obama 50%, McCain wins 31 states (McCain wins popular vote by < 1%)

Geojerry7 - Obama 60%, McCain 40%, Obama wins 40 states

gamecockfan1 - Obama 52%, McCain 47%, Obama wins 23 states

pdx spotters - Obama 51%, McCain 46%, Obama wins 25 States

It looks like I had a problem with the hotmail account. Mailbox full. I have freed up some space and should be good to go now. I'm not sure if anyone was unable to submit a guess.

In the interest of fairness, I'll extend this contest to Friday, October 17, and also give everyone a chance to adjust their guesses if they like.

There was quite a low voter turnout on this contest. Doesn't everyone want to win a Richard Nixon pin?!? Unless I receive some last minute entries in the next hour and a half, I guess that's all.

Can pdx spotters pull off two victories?

Geojerry7 - Obama 60%, McCain 40%, Obama wins 40 states

gamecockfan1 - Obama 52%, McCain 47%, Obama wins 23 states

pdx spotters - Obama 51%, McCain 46%, Obama wins 25 States

I'm still waiting for all the numbers, but right now it looks like a toss-up between gamecockfan and pdx spotters, with a slight advantage to pdx spotters. Hopefully, I can anounce the winner of this contest by the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Congratulations to PDX Spotters.

For the purposes of this contest, I'm going to call the election results as Obama 53%, McCain 46%, with Obama winning 28 states + DC.

PDX edges out gamecockfan1 by virtue of having a higher states guess.

I sent the prize pack out to PDX in today's mail.

THANKS FOR WATCHING!

:) We are so excited about winning the election contest! We feel that a special congrats should also go to Gamecockfan1 for an equally close guess . We love the cool pins and nifty Briansnat campaign flyer not to mention other swag. Most of all we are thrilled to make the Pantheon of Hotness ...again :P It's an amazing coincidence that we picked up Stick It To Me Tb the day before the election...guess it brought us good luck.

Thanks again CacheNCarryMA for another fun contest!