Claiming a muggled cache?

Bosveldklong

I have noticed that alot of caches that has been muggled was still claimed by some cachers as a find. Now I was just wondering what my fellow cachers feel about it.....

When I find a cache has been muggled,but I can clearly see evidence of the cache,like a piece of the logbook,a empty container or maybe a toy then I feel I can claim it as a find. But if I come to a spot and all I find is a pile of rocks I feel I need to log it as a DNF.

Is this ok or not?Where do we draw the line?

If we only find part of a cache (lid, readme, a toy or bits of logbook) we first contact the cache owner for permission to log. We would never dream of logging without their permission.

What if there is only a pile of rocks? Well maybe you are a couple of metre's off course and the cache is still very much there, lying under another pile of rocks you hadn't noticed, then really you have not found the cache at all, have you?

Just as bad is getting someone else to write your log. Even if you were only 10 m's away and were too lazy to log, you could very well have been 100km's or 1000km's away. Just not the done thing in our books.

We recently found a disabled cache - the cache container and lid were there, still marked as a geocache, and bits and pieces of the missing travel bugs. We claimed it as a find and emailed the owner and asked him to either do some much needed maintenance or to remove the cache container and archive the cache. If we had not found the cache container, we would have logged it as a DNF.