Any Linux Users out there?

Gewitty

That doesn´t work either: ¨sh: Can't open geoqo.bin¨

Ah, if you can get to the shell you should just run it:

./geoqo.bin

However, you'd need to 'cd' to your 'Desktop' folder first. And if you renamed it (eg, removing the '.bin' ending) you should run it however it's named now.

(and FYI to everyone watching: it's a compiled perl executable and is a straight binary... It isn't a sh script or even a perl script at this point but is a raw executable)

That doesn´t work either: ¨sh: Can't open geoqo.bin¨

Ah, if you can get to the shell you should just run it:

./geoqo.bin

However, you'd need to 'cd' to your 'Desktop' folder first. And if you renamed it (eg, removing the '.bin' ending) you should run it however it's named now.

(and FYI to everyone watching: it's a compiled perl executable and is a straight binary... It isn't a sh script or even a perl script at this point but is a raw executable)

Now remember you are addressing some novices also, like me, so just exactly how do I ¨cd to my DT folder first¨?

Thanks for the basic Linux course material.

F

Now remember you are addressing some novices also, like me, so just exactly how do I ¨cd to my DT folder first¨?

Thanks for the basic Linux course material.

F

In the terminal window, try typing: cd Desktop

(I still need to install ubuntu to see what they're default setup is like... It's possible the above won't work)

The question arises from a discussion on another topic thread recently. I'm doing a bit of research to discover how many geocachers users Linux rather than Windows.

Most of the GPS manufacturers make software and firmware available for Windows users, but very few offer support to Linux converts. The rationale seems to be that there are so few Linux users out there that it's not worth their while to offer Linux versions of their apps. But times are changing and Linux is becoming a significant force in the market.

Given the techno-savvy nature of geocachers, it occurred to me that this particular demographic might just have a higher than normal percentage of Linux users.

So, if you are a Linux user, maybe you could just reply with a quick post and also state which flavour you use.

I would have done this easier as a poll, but this forum doesn't seem to support them, so I'll have to do the sums by hand!

Regards,

Dave

Im a (K)ubuntu user myself. Previous to my conversion into the Linux world, I had gotten a Garmin Quest for driving use only. Now that I am into Geocaching, I am skeptical that this Garmin Quest can do the job since it doesnt have any easy way to manually enter in coordinates (vs street addresses). However, the amount of GPS devices on the market that do not use Windows Mobile as the unit's OS seems to be minimal. I was so disappointed that even Navigon (which would save the trouble of synchin with a computer since everything is saved on a card) uses Windows Mobile on its backend.

Kat

The question arises from a discussion on another topic thread recently. I'm doing a bit of research to discover how many geocachers users Linux rather than Windows.

Most of the GPS manufacturers make software and firmware available for Windows users, but very few offer support to Linux converts. The rationale seems to be that there are so few Linux users out there that it's not worth their while to offer Linux versions of their apps. But times are changing and Linux is becoming a significant force in the market.

Given the techno-savvy nature of geocachers, it occurred to me that this particular demographic might just have a higher than normal percentage of Linux users.

So, if you are a Linux user, maybe you could just reply with a quick post and also state which flavour you use.

I would have done this easier as a poll, but this forum doesn't seem to support them, so I'll have to do the sums by hand!

Regards,

Dave

Im a (K)ubuntu user myself. Previous to my conversion into the Linux world, I had gotten a Garmin Quest for driving use only. Now that I am into Geocaching, I am skeptical that this Garmin Quest can do the job since it doesnt have any easy way to manually enter in coordinates (vs street addresses). However, the amount of GPS devices on the market that do not use Windows Mobile as the unit's OS seems to be minimal. I was so disappointed that even Navigon (which would save the trouble of synchin with a computer since everything is saved on a card) uses Windows Mobile on its backend.

Kat

I use Ubuntu Linux....

I have a Garmin 60CSX and i run mapsource under wine to connect to my GPS....

I Finally figured out how to set things up so they work properly under Linux....

If you can do it in native Ubuntu (without Wine) how about some tips for the Linux newbies like myself?

I use Linux full-time (currently Ubuntu 7.10), using Windows only when really necessary. I have a Garmin Nuvi 760, and use GSAK+POILoader for my caches. I either have to use it at work (where I use Windows XP), or load up Windows using VMWare within Linux, but I find GSAK *very* slow this way. Come to think of it, I haven't tried either app in WINE, but I have my doubts. I'll try it when I find some time in between yard work, a wordworking project I need to finish... and Geocaching! :rolleyes:

At the moment VMWare is mucked up so until I have the time to wipe it out and reinstall, I'm stuck loading up caches at work.

Dear Folks,

I don't know anything about Forums so I apologize if I am not in the right place here.

But you guys apparently know Linux.

I use Debian 3.0 Woody and 3.1 Sarge text-mode command-line.

No GUI.

I bought a new garmin etrex-h (mail-order) last week.

I went ahead and bought the serial cable with it too.

Last couple of days I have walked around and what- 'marked' about 30 or 40 what- 'waypoints'.

Then blundered my way through the etrex-h hand-held's menu system.

Successfully set the etrex-h to output simple ASCII code.

Grabbed the book.

The owners book on page 25 tells you how to hook up the serial cable to your computer.

You have to love that little paragraph.

Even a dummy like me can do that.

Then you turn to the next page (26) and it starts right in talking about software license agreements.

No comment about what to do after you connected the receiver to the computer.

Thanks much Garmin.

Anyway, do you guys know how to copy simple ASCII data the from the hand-held GPS receiver to a Linux machine without using a GUI-based program?

I'm sure it can be done.

By the way, I am pretty good with DOS (way better than I am with Linux), so if you know how to do this with text-mode DOS (no windows) then please let me know.

To describe myself, I would say-

Unix/Linux- intermediate

DOS- advanced

So if you know DOS pretty good, you might be able to help me with less trouble.

I have 7 machines set up right now.

5 DOS and 2 Linux.

Somewhere I saw within the last week or two where a man had written-

There's a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

Thanks.

Charles Smith

WOW, what year are you from? J/K.

don't have a vista H but if you say it uses a "serial" cable, you can use any terminal programs to talk to the serial port. minicom is a good one. Or you can even do "cat /dev/ttyS0 > output.txt", granted the correct baud rate is set on your PC to match the etrex-h setup. Use command "stty" to do it. I assume you know it by heart since you are using a 6 years old linux distro.

for dos, I remember there is a similar software called telix. Again, you need to change the baud rate and after that, just do a file download. The port is usually called com1. Since you are the DOS advance user, you should be able to fill in the blanks :rolleyes:

WOW, what year are you from? J/K.

don't have a vista H but if you say it uses a "serial" cable, you can use any terminal programs to talk to the serial port. minicom is a good one. Or you can even do "cat /dev/ttyS0 > output.txt", granted the correct baud rate is set on your PC to match the etrex-h setup. Use command "stty" to do it. I assume you know it by heart since you are using a 6 years old linux distro.

for dos, I remember there is a similar software called telix. Again, you need to change the baud rate and after that, just do a file download. The port is usually called com1. Since you are the DOS advance user, you should be able to fill in the blanks :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Good answer.

Right on the mark.

I have not tried anything like that yet.

Because I have somewhere read warnings about possibly rendering the receiver inoperable if I send it the wrong signals.

I'm not clear on how to request a file from a machine that is running its own proprietary operating system.

Or its own (unknown to me) communications program.

Now, if I am at the wrong 'forum' here, please don't be po'd at me.

Somewhere here I just read where somebody said to somebody to please go elsewhere.

If that was directed to me, please somebody suggest to me where to go (please watch your language).

Otherwise, if I'm at the right place with these kinds of questions, I'll stay right here.

charles100

OK, I just got my own eeePC 901 to take on travel instead of my 12" powerbook. Love the little guy but can't even do something simple like download cache waypoints.

Machine: eeePC 901 ($449 in case you are interested)

GPS: Garmin 60csx

Browser: Firefox 3.0.3

One option would be to install wine, then a windows version of Firefox, then use Garmin Communicator through wine. That seems cumbersome and against the reason I went with Linux. Anyone have luck getting a plug-in to work to do simple things like waypoint downloads with Linux directly?

New to Geocaching but I have been running Linux at home for 4 years. I am up to Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon on the desktop and Hardy Heron on one mini netbook. My EEEPC runs linux and I have a couple of work/play related laptops that run Linux and Windows XP. I haven't tried any of the linux apps yet for my Garmin Colorado.

I do edit my logfiles and the text file I made in Open Office and transfer to the memory card just like the Garmin was a very expensive card reader. Plugged it in and it worked without adding any drivers. Now if I could just download caches and other data from Linux.

Edited by pellidon

OK, I just got my own eeePC 901 to take on travel instead of my 12" powerbook. Love the little guy but can't even do something simple like download cache waypoints.

One option would be to install wine, then a windows version of Firefox, then use Garmin Communicator through wine. That seems cumbersome and against the reason I went with Linux. Anyone have luck getting a plug-in to work to do simple things like waypoint downloads with Linux directly?

See post #5 of this thread. His program uses GPSBabel to talk to the GPS, I think.

I revisited this thread because I saw this Engadget article where someone is selling a touch screen for the eeePC 900/901.

My frustration with waypoint transfer tools under UNIX/Linux was the original motivation for GPSBabel. See: http://www.gpsbabel.org/people/robertlipe.html Mac and Windows came later.

Hi Robert,

here is new potential user of GPSBabel <_<

I used Linux almost exclusively for my geocaching needs (minus the occasional map upload or printing of a big map) for about six years.

I'm new to geocaching and just in the process of buying my 1st GPS :D

Probably it will be Garmin 76Csx 'cause I quickly eliminated Magellan's Triton (model 500) seeing there is NO support for Linux at all :anibad:

I use Linux for almost 10yrs after migration from OS2. :lol:

I still visit it from time to time and keep GPSBabel running there, but it's not my primary platform these days.

:blink:

Contrary to popular press, I'm actually seeing the GPSBabel traffic in Linux shrink over time. Fewer downloads, fewer contributions, fewer code changes.

Hmm...in the local newsgroup I got info that none of Linux software can display Garmin's locked maps which I have to buy here (routable for car-navigation and topo map of Croatia), so I wonder what's the main use of Linux software like GPSBabel, Viking etc. ?

QLandkarte owner also told me about the copyright problem which prevents Linux software to display e.g. Garmin's maps.

What is the solution for that?

I got rid of all Windoze software and do not want to use even emulators like Vbox, but maybe I'll have to use wine for MapSource :mad:

Sincerely,

Gour (aka: happy ArchLinux user)

Sincerely,

Gour

Regards,

Dave

I am just getting into geocaching and I haven't bought a gps yet. I am getting the garmin etrex Legend HCx and I use Ubuntu. are there any programs that I could use on Ubuntu to transfer waypoints and such?

Edited by Rexinator

Hmm...in the local newsgroup I got info that none of Linux software can display Garmin's locked maps which I have to buy here (routable for car-navigation and topo map of Croatia), so I wonder what's the main use of Linux software like GPSBabel, Viking etc. ?

The first sentence on www.gpsbabel.org and the fourth paragraph cover that.

Now that you can buy Mapsource for most countries preloaded on SD cards to just pop into the receiver, the need to transfer maps from a host computer has been lifted for most users.

The first sentence on www.gpsbabel.org and the fourth paragraph cover that.

OK, maybe I should add e.g. QLandkarteGT to the above list... :anibad:

Now that you can buy Mapsource for most countries preloaded on SD cards to just pop into the receiver, the need to transfer maps from a host computer has been lifted for most users.

That's correct, but still, how can one transfer waypoints and tracks from GPS to the computer im order to e.g. prepare routes on his/her computer if one cannot display locked map on the computer without using MapSource on Windoze?

So, considering that majority of GPS users do not prepare their own maps but buy them (either on CD/DVD or SD cards), the question is what can we (aka: Linux users) do with software GPS Linux software (QLandkarte, Viking etc.) when those applications cannot shows locked maps? :laughing:

Sincerely,

Gour

Solution to locked maps: use Openstreetmap instead. It's a collaborative mapping project. Think of it like Wikipedia for maps. Currently the completeness of it varies quite a lot depending on where you are, but some areas have quite good coverage (and if your area doesn't, go out and map it! :laughing:) The data is free so many people have converted it to the garmin .img format. Many of the maps are routable too! The OSM project is growing at an exponential rate - I fully expect that it will become THE mapping solution of the future.

With regard to linux - yes I use Ubuntu Linux. I recently purchased a Garmin Colorado and am very disappointed to discover that the Garmin Communicator plug-in doesn't work in linux.

Garmin: Allow visitors, who have the free cross-platform/browser Garmin Communicator plugin installed on their computer to transfer waypoint, route, track log, fitness and map data between their Garmin device and your website.

Apparently cross-platform is just Windows and Mac :laughing:

Conceptually (to me) it would seem fairly easy to transfer the GPX file from Firefox to the Colorado USB mass storage device... and if they open-sourced their code then developers could take it to other OSes and beyond.

(note that I am not a GC premium member though.)

Edited by Justcameron

I run Fedora myself.

I rely on gpsbabel. The author (Robert Lipe) expressed a concern that he wasn't seeing or hearing much from Linux users anymore, but in my case it's because it's packaged in the distro's repository and it just works for my needs. Thanks very much for doing it.

I've played with qlandkarte a bit lately; still some rough edges but finally some functionality that hasn't been available on Linux is now available.

Gentoo Linux with everything re-compiled specifically for the appropriate CPU. Primarily GCC4 and GCC3 hardened builds. Think I will have to rebuild Gentoo on my new laptop as 64 bit no-multilib support is quite lacking for this architecture :< Specifically, JRE and Flash support are horrible. However, for server platforms Gentoo Linux is all I use.

Perhaps this is a niche market where some Linux interested parties could work on a utility for performing Garmin upgrades on Linux ? ;)

I'm a long time Redhat user. I've had a 701 eee PC running Xandros since January and use it exclusively to load both my GPSr (GPS12 up til last week; 60CSx since then) and a PDA running CacheMate. gpsbabel to talk to the GPSr and pilot-xfer to talk to the PDA. I have MapSource running under Wine and a version of GpsDrive modified to know about the different cache types. I also have a Bluetooth GPS (BT359C) and thumbnail sized dongle working with gpsd so GpsDrive will display moving maps as I drive.

Ubuntu 8.10 user for a few weeks. Still using my work laptop to talk to my Garmin eTrex Venture HC, which I have also only been using for a few months. I'm a noob squared.

Installed GPS Babel and GPSman and am gong to download QLandkarte and fool around with them all and try to figure things out. I miss sending caches directly to the GPS from the cache sites, since that was how I was mostly doing things. Will have to find a bit of time to really dive into it all.

Thanks to the users on this thread and so many others for providing so much helpful advice. :unsure:

Edited by robineke

Ubuntu 8.10 user for a few weeks. Still using my work laptop to talk to my Garmin eTrex Venture HC, which I have also only been using for a few months. I'm a noob squared.

Installed GPS Babel and GPSman and am gong to download QLandkarte and fool around with them all and try to figure things out. I miss sending caches directly to the GPS from the cache sites, since that was how I was mostly doing things. Will have to find a bit of time to really dive into it all.

Thanks to the users on this thread and so many others for providing so much helpful advice. :unsure:

Let us know how things go as I, and more than a few others, are having trouble dealing with the command line format of Linux in order to make the apps work.

Let us know how things go as I, and more than a few others, are having trouble dealing with the command line format of Linux in order to make the apps work.

On many Linux issues Google is your friend. You'll either find it discussed on one of the many forums, or someone has a web page will helpful hints.

FYI -- in most cases you can type man <program_name>, where <program_name> is the program you want to know about, and the man pages for that program will be displayed. If you type the program name (and remember, filenames are case sensitive in Linux) followed by --h or --help you will typically get a list of valid command line options.

If you're young enough to have missed out on DOS and Windows 3.xx, you probably don't have any command-line experience. Most Linux distros have utilities to do all the stuff we used to do from the command line, but sometimes the command line is a necessary evil.

I in theory I use Linux full-time for my geocaching needs, but as said all the software is for Windows. So I have a virtual Windows installation in VirtualBox. It works fine for the gps stuff as it supports usb.

Distro is Ubuntu and Nokia E71 as GPS with separate bluetooth gps. The integrated one is useless, because of its inaccuracy.

Edited by Melmacian

On many Linux issues Google is your friend. You'll either find it discussed on one of the many forums, or someone has a web page will helpful hints.

FYI -- in most cases you can type man <program_name>, where <program_name> is the program you want to know about, and the man pages for that program will be displayed. If you type the program name (and remember, filenames are case sensitive in Linux) followed by --h or --help you will typically get a list of valid command line options.

If you're young enough to have missed out on DOS and Windows 3.xx, you probably don't have any command-line experience. Most Linux distros have utilities to do all the stuff we used to do from the command line, but sometimes the command line is a necessary evil.

Thanks for the reminder that there are help resources at hand but yes I do remember the DOS format for Windows and I refused to deal with computers until the GUI interface came out. I was learning Spanish at the time and one foreign language at a time was enuf.

For several years my main OS has been Ubuntu (presently 8.10). I also have Windows XP on a separate partition, though it has rarely been used.

I recently bought my first GPS, a PN-20. I set up an XP installation in Virtualbox and installed Topo USA 7. It runs ok, the exception being there is no 3d functionality. I consider that a significant loss. Transfers between the application and unit work ok, even in "DeLorme" mode.

Looks like using a GPS is going to cause me to boot into (native) Windows more often. Ugh. Add me to the ever-growing list of those who consider Linux support a high priority.

Good to hear there is a few things that help link up GPSr units to Linux :laughing:

OH is currently running Suse- while wishing he hadn't got rid of OS/2- hes seriously thinking of going back to eCs or OS/2 Warp 4 as he has one of the last of the shelf packs that was available in the UK :laughing:

We only have a Garmin 12 so no problems with maps or anything- it find waypoints easily enough- not as accurate as some of the modern units are but it *is* nearly 10 years old- connects via Serial port just for firmware updates as and when needed. The Garmin was bought for sailing navigation but we're using it fine for geocaching (ha ha only one cache found so far!)

Thanks to the users on this thread and so many others for providing so much helpful advice. :rolleyes:

I'm usiing GPSBabel with GeBabbel as GUI. I like the simple GUI...

I'm a newbie geocacher (still debating which GPS to buy), but an old-timer when it comes to Linux. I've been at it since early 1996, and have tried a few dozen distros in that time.

Slackware will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my first distro, and is one of the oldest still standing.

My current set-up includes a couple of Debian servers, and boxes running Gentoo and *buntu.

I'm watching with interest to see what apps you all use for your geocaching.

I'm watching with interest to see what apps you all use for your geocaching.

As mentioned earlier, I'm the author of "geoqo" which is designed to work on linux. The previous issues with how it works and gets installed should be resolved I believe. There is now an easy download executable that should make it simple to get installed.

http://www.geoqo.org/

I use it extensively myself, but to be honest I don't use geoqo's GUI interface that much (except to print maps). Hence it doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I'm more of a pure command-line driven guy myself, which is where much of the geoqo power really comes in.

> geoqo -s 'log:text=awesome&&mem:sacsquare' -d count:
 Search/Set Count: 236

Apparently I have 236 awesome caches left to find in my local area.

ubuntu ftw! I've been linux-only since dapper, and now I'm on Intrepid.

I used sendmap in the past to load some of ibycus' maps onto my unit, but generally I avoid connecting to my computer like the plague cuz I figure there's nothing good out there. (I'm a gui guy, not much for command-line)

I'm gonna try out gpsbabel seeing as how there's a bunch of people who say they use it, and I'll try your geoqo as well. yamar

ubuntu ftw! I've been linux-only since dapper, and now I'm on Intrepid.

I used sendmap in the past to load some of ibycus' maps onto my unit, but generally I avoid connecting to my computer like the plague cuz I figure there's nothing good out there. (I'm a gui guy, not much for command-line)

I'm gonna try out gpsbabel seeing as how there's a bunch of people who say they use it, and I'll try your geoqo as well. yamar

If you prefer GUI I recommend GeBabbel.

I'm a long time Linux user, but noob on the geocaching front. My impatience pushed me into buying a Magellan Triton 300 at a local sporting goods store before I had a chance to read up on it. Once I got home, it didn't take long to discover some of it's issues, namely lack of non Windows support.

But...

In the week that I have had it now, I have found (on tritonforum.com) how to switch the unit into diagnostic mode so that it shows up as a usb drive, and last night discovered which file holds the geocache, waypoint, route, etc data. It is an sqlite3 file, and with a little more work on my part, I should be able to crack it down further. Since it is an SQL database, I have a feeling that the unit in normal pc connection mode is acting as a sudo network interface instead of a storage device.

With this knowledge, I hope to have something cobbled together before the end of July as I will be on vacation in Idaho then, and am going to Dublin, Ireland the first week of August. I plan on geocaching both weeks, and want to at least preload some cache sites for each area. I'll post a new thread once I have more progress to report.

I love Linux - specifically Ubuntu :) I have Ubuntu on my desktop and my laptop is dual boot Ubuntu and Windoze XP. My cell phone is the G1 or Google phone via T-Mobile with the Android operating system. I have the geocaching premium membership so that I can get pocket queries and then I download them via usb cable to my G1. To use my phone, I have Geobeagle installed on my G1. It's a great set up.

I'm thrilled.

I also have a Garmin etrex Summit (for back up.) :unsure:

Edited by lekyfsirk

I have a Garmin Oregon 300.

With the exception of transferring maps (done properly, map transfer should be a one-time or at least rare task), the O300 is 100% usable under Linux. Some of my machines run Gentoo, my netbooks run Ubuntu 9.04 - it doesn't really matter. I've even seen some indications that there might be "map image file builder" apps available for Linux. (qlandkarteGT seems to sort-of imply that it might be able to build mapsets and send them to a device)

The reason for this:

The O300 uses a standard mini-USB connector (i use the cable in my Eee case that supports my MTK2-based puck

The O300 appears to a PC as a standard USB mass storage device

The O300 represents all data internally as standard GPX files

The end result - interfacing my O300 to any of my Linux machines is drag-and-drop.

There is one slight caveat: Due to the way the Oregon presents itself to the PC, I believe you need "Probe all LUNs on SCSI devices" enabled in the kernel. Most stock kernels have this feature, but many people (including myself) forget to enable it in custom kernels.

I also use an MTK2-based datalogger (i-Blue 747A+) and it works great under Linux using a Java application called BT747. Do note that the "A+" variant of the 747 requires kernel 2.6.29 or newer.

What is Windows? ;-)

"Windows" is a generic term for an integral part of the Graphical User Interface (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointing Device). So although I use Linux exclusively, I also use windows. (When asked which windows I use, I reply "X11/R6."

I run Kubuntu Dapper LTS (one desktop I can't update right now) and OpenSuSE 10.3 (one desktop and one laptop). I use Rick Richardson's scriptable (and script-based) geo-* suite.

BTW, is there a tutorial anywhere on connecting GPSrs to a GNU/Linux host? I currently have an old Garmin Etrex Summit, but am looking around for something newer (perhaps with USB?)

Thanks for the poll. Hope I'm not too late in replying.

I think by default that will transfer only waypoints. If you want to transfer tracks, add the -t option. Like this:

gpsbabel -t -i gpx -f THEFILE.gpx -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

For routes, use -r instead.

Owner of etrex HCx. Trying to upload .gpx track/route to my unit with no success. At first tried simply saving the route.gpx file to /Garmin/Gpx. Didn't work. Next I turned to googling and finally got here.

With gpsbabel:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f track-meilahti.gpx -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

[ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No data received.

[ERROR] INIT: No table entry for ID 254

GARMIN:Can't init /dev/ttyUSB0

Apparently gpsbabel is not for writing routes/tracks to garmin?

I've done waypoint conversion from kml to garmin but not used gpsbabel for communicating with garmin.

Tried also rmmod garmin_gps and then using "usb:" as the destination filename with no success.

The information that I've read all over the net is that one can use .gpx files for creating routes to the garmin. All that is needed is to store the file to /Garmin/Gpx. I've yet to find anyone stating that it actually works...

Does it work (ie. my unit just broken) or is it an urban legend?

Reading this on Linux right now, Asus eee running the default Xandros, which of course is often taken away with us.

We've also got a Windows Vista desktop, so although we've never tried to download waypoints to the eTrex it could be done that way.

Been reading up on the Wherigo caches :D there aren't many in the UK anyway but it looks like I'll be looking at installing WINE to get the Wherigo Builder's Emulator going.

Owner of etrex HCx. Trying to upload .gpx track/route to my unit with no success. At first tried simply saving the route.gpx file to /Garmin/Gpx. Didn't work. Next I turned to googling and finally got here.

With gpsbabel:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f track-meilahti.gpx -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

[ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No data received.

[ERROR] INIT: No table entry for ID 254

GARMIN:Can't init /dev/ttyUSB0

Apparently gpsbabel is not for writing routes/tracks to garmin?

I've done waypoint conversion from kml to garmin but not used gpsbabel for communicating with garmin.

Tried also rmmod garmin_gps and then using "usb:" as the destination filename with no success.

The information that I've read all over the net is that one can use .gpx files for creating routes to the garmin. All that is needed is to store the file to /Garmin/Gpx. I've yet to find anyone stating that it actually works...

Does it work (ie. my unit just broken) or is it an urban legend?

The kernel driver fails for a great number of people. That's they the GPSBabel doc tells you to not use it. 'usb:' stands a much better chance of working. http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

The /Garmin/Gpx thing applies only to newer units that implement mass storage mode _and_ that use GPX natively, such as those marked with footnote two at http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html Your unit isn't broken, it's just not one of those that supports that way of talking to it.

The kernel driver fails for a great number of people. That's they the GPSBabel doc tells you to not use it. 'usb:' stands a much better chance of working. http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

I use gpsbabel all the time to talk to usb: But, the default is that it'll only work as root unless you do something to change the permissions. You can allow anyone (ie, your normal linux user) to use gpsbabel with usb: by creating (as root) the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/51-garmin.rules' and putting in it this line:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0666"