Any Linux Users out there?

Gewitty

It seems to me that any an every hardware developer can benefit from the open source community developing their support software including device drivers. If I were developing some great new whiz-bang gizmo, open source woul be a no-brainer, because free development, free testing, free debugging and patching, means a more competitive product that is also more profitable.The only reason I can think of for not releasing the protocols is to protect the interests of the companies holding the copyrights to the maps.

An update (primarily to give the thread a bump): I've updated to Open SuSE 11.3 Teal (from 10.3) for a while now.

Prost!

What a nice logo from just around the corner (although I prefer the 'Fuchs' ;-)

After some trials with early Linux in 1992/1993 (that was on a pre 1.0 kernel) i put it aside, but in 1999 i moved completely to openSUSE, and still run it on various laptops, desktops and rootservers. Altough I'm neither a hard tekkie nor a programmer ;-)

Since I found the Linux-plugin for garmin and made it running on openSUSE (together with the author) I'm quite happy with the status :-)

An update (primarily to give the thread a bump): I've updated to Open SuSE 11.3 Teal (from 10.3) for a while now.

Prost!

What a nice logo from just around the corner (although I prefer the 'Fuchs' ;-)

After some trials with early Linux in 1992/1993 (that was on a pre 1.0 kernel) i put it aside, but in 1999 i moved completely to openSUSE, and still run it on various laptops, desktops and rootservers. Altough I'm neither a hard tekkie nor a programmer ;-)

Since I found the Linux-plugin for garmin and made it running on openSUSE (together with the author) I'm quite happy with the status :-)

Another SuSE user here - got a repo for that plugin?

On 5/23/2020 at 1:32 AM, Chirpz said:

Sure... I use Linux.  MX Linux 19.1, with Garmin 64S, QlandKarteGT, online Geocache maps.  I download PQ's and install in GSAK running on Wine.  Works good.

I have the latest version of Lubuntu (Ubuntu with a slimmed-down desktop) and run a Windows 8.1 virtual machine using VirtualBox. This is so I can run Garmin POI Loader. All my other software runs natively in Linux. GSAK would probably also run in a virtual machine. My laptop only has Linux - it is not dual-boot - so using Wine is not an option.

Microsoft publishes free virtual machines for Windows 10 and earlier versions, but these have time-limited licences. Which can be got round by taking a snapshot of the virtual machine, and going back to that snapshot. Windows 10 VM's refuse to run after a certain date, as Windows 10 is actively being developed and Microsoft quite reasonably expect people to use the most recent VM, so I use the Windows 8.1 VM instead.

win81vm.png

It's an old thread, but what the heck, I'll chime in at least once a decade, as the setup naturally evolves over time.

Linux Mint 19.1, MATE desktop.  It rocks.  Soon to be upgraded to the upcoming LTS.

Mint because it's so popular that any problems I might encounter have already been solved by someone, and a quick search should be all I need.  But it's pretty solid.  MATE because it works with Compiz which has the best eye candy, and I like my eye candy.

eye-candy.thumb.jpg.630fc606e6496700e36368cc8768ef45.jpg

Oh, there's a crufty old Windows XP virtual machine for the one remaining thing for which I need Windows, which is running the GSAK PrintDiary macro from time to time.  Every few months, max.

Caching data is handled in the Androids.  No caching software in the Linux box; just a browser.

PS, after decades of working next to a noisy PC, occasionally one so loud I added sound insulation, finally I have a zero-decibel micro PC, a Zotac with convection cooling and a hefty SSD.  It rocks too.  Oh, and because it came bare-bones, I didn't pay for a copy of Windows I wouldn't use.  I evaded the Windows Tax.  B)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
43 minutes ago, and1969 said:

run a Windows 8.1 virtual machine using VirtualBox... GSAK would probably also run in a virtual machine. My laptop only has Linux - it is not dual-boot - so using Wine is not an option.

Microsoft publishes free virtual machines for Windows 10 and earlier versions, but these have time-limited licences.

I run Fedora on a laptop which was bought with Windows, I put Fedora on it and blew away the Windows install within a few weeks of having it. I used to run GSAK in Wine on this laptop and I'm sure dual boot isn't required to run Wine; that was back in the days when the IE limitations in GSAK meant some functions didn't work in Wine so I never used it much.

I originally spun up a  Windows7 vm running in Gnome-Boxes (KVM), which I licensed with the key which the laptop originally had, I have since upgraded the Win7 to Win10 and that's where I run GSAK now (it's the only thing I use Windows for).

1 hour ago, and1969 said:

GSAK would probably also run in a virtual machine

GSAK runs in Windows, which in turn will run in a VM.  VMs in general are rock-solid, so it should all work without a hitch.

1 hour ago, and1969 said:

My laptop only has Linux - it is not dual-boot - so using Wine is not an option

As I understand it, Wine is a way of running winapps like GSAK without requiring a copy of Windows.  So it should be an option, though it depends on the solidity of Wine.  My past experience with Wine (eons ago) was dismal, and I abandoned it forever.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

As I understand it, Wine is a way of running winapps like GSAK without requiring a copy of Windows.  So it should be an option, though it depends on the solidity of Wine.  My past experience with Wine (eons ago) was dismal, and I abandoned it forever.

WINE hasn't really improved in years, and I can get GSAK kind of working it, it's like taking your computer and putting it on 1/10th speed.  If you run Linux, as others have said, putting Windows 7 or above in a VM and runnning GSAK that way is far better. You can also use Garmin Basecamp in Windows 7 or above on a VM, basecamp won't even install on WINE.

Tried using Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Debian 10 on both those software. 

Maybe a tad off subject, but WINE can do a few things Windows 10 can't do, like run older 16 bit programs or stuff optimized for Windows 98/95