Noobie needs GPS

edit21

Hi all - I'm new here and need a bit of advice, hopefully someone has a second hand unit that will meet my needs.

I need to get something that will be good for GeoCache and for a little project i have. I need a unit that will be able to plot where i go - add waypoints and be able upload the plotted routes to a pc (to create maps). I'm an avid mountainbiker and need to plot some rides and map a few routes that are not on any maps, so something that can be handlebar mounted would be a bonus.

I hope some one can help - there are so many gps units on the market these days and i know nothing about GPS :lol:

Thanks for reading...

Edit21

Edited by edit21

Hi, yes the Forerunner will plot and record as you described but will not be very useful if you want to geocache. The Forerunner will not let you input coordinates or view current coordinates as you would need to find a cache. I have found 2 choices you might consider: 1) one of the Garmin Etrex series which is a smaller and can mount to you handlebar rail... its water proof, has a good screen and can have maps added to it or 2) the Suunto X9mi watch, it does have a SiRF chip set this will record your trail speed distance and way points under canopy covered areas and unlike the Forerunner will give you your current coordinates(so you can stumble onto some geocaches) but this being a watch it will not have maps and very few screen displays.

Ah cool - thanks for your relpys, The Etrex sounds like the one to look for - if i can get one in the serise that has an active compass and altimiter - i know im asking alot :anitongue:

Soon as i get home (on hols ATM) i'll go check them out at my local dealer before i hunt on the second hand market.

Thanks again for you input.

Edit21

Hi, yes the Forerunner will plot and record as you described but will not be very useful if you want to geocache. The Forerunner will not let you input coordinates or view current coordinates as you would need to find a cache. I have found 2 choices you might consider: 1) one of the Garmin Etrex series which is a smaller and can mount to you handlebar rail... its water proof, has a good screen and can have maps added to it or 2) the Suunto X9mi watch, it does have a SiRF chip set this will record your trail speed distance and way points under canopy covered areas and unlike the Forerunner will give you your current coordinates(so you can stumble onto some geocaches) but this being a watch it will not have maps and very few screen displays.

I have a Forerunner 205 and it is completely Easy GPS compatible, I download waypoints all the time. And it has the SiRF chip. It's only minuses are that you can only store 100 waypoints and you can't have maps in it (you'll have something that looks like the Etrex basemap). You also have to mark a waypoint to see your latitude and longitude.

But I find having it on my wrist very convenient and it does an awesome job of finding caches as it does have a "compass rose".