google map in geocaching.com

taje00

Hi there,

There is no longer an option on the google map to view the satellite image, is this a permanent change. I hope not cause I liked using it to view a cache area before setting off. Also I can't open the cache by clicking the icon on the google map any more. I'm running windows XP professional with firefox 2.0.0.16. Thanks :):huh::lol:

I assume you're talking about the main map, not the small maps on cache pages. I still have a satellite button on those, and clicking the icon opens a popup.

Maybe an addon is a problem, or JavaScript is disabled? It also might help to close/reopen the browser and/or clear your browser's cache.

I'm have problems with the maps also. From the cache page, I click on the map and another window opens with cache icons. (the google map). It shows my finds as smileys and regular cache icons for those I have yet to find.

The problem is that when I click on a cache icon, it briefly flashes, "requesting cache info," but nothing come up. If I scroll over to the cache listing at the right of the page, the link works fine.

this problem began with the new software. the problem happens on several (5) computers that I use. All are using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I'm have problems with the maps also. From the cache page, I click on the map and another window opens with cache icons. (the google map). It shows my finds as smileys and regular cache icons for those I have yet to find.

The problem is that when I click on a cache icon, it briefly flashes, "requesting cache info," but nothing come up. If I scroll over to the cache listing at the right of the page, the link works fine.

this problem began with the new software. the problem happens on several (5) computers that I use. All are using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Maybe clearing your browser cache would help? I saw this once or twice but it went away soon after.

Maybe clearing your browser cache would help? I saw this once or twice but it went away soon after.

Thanks for your reply. But I need 'instructions for dummies.'

"...clearing your browser cache..." means nothing to me.

Try this: (link)

Internet Explorer 7

1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .

2. Choose the General tab.

3. Under Browsing history, click Delete... .

4. Next to "Temporary Internet Files", click Delete files... .

5. Click Close, and then click OK to exit.

Internet Explorer 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x for Windows

1. From the Tools menu (for version 4.x, the View menu), select Internet Options... .

2. Choose the General tab.

3. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click Delete Files... .

4. To confirm the deletion, click OK.

5. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

Clearing the browser history did not work. Plus, I experience this problem on several computers. (5 different machines.) All are running Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I did not have this problem before the recent upgrades to GC. I'll describe the problem again to try to be specific. Sometimes what I want to say is clear in my head, but doesn't come out that way.

If I do a "search with google maps" I get the page with all the cache icons for the area I requested. It shows both those I found and those yet to be found. When I scroll the mouse over an icon, the name of the cache shows up like it should. but when I click on the icon, the screen briefly flashes, "requesting cache info" but nothing happens. It used to display some info about the cache, then clicking on that would open the cache page. as I said, that no longer happens. It seems to try to open, but doesn't. If I scroll over to the cache names listed on the right side of the map page, I can click on a name and the page opens as it should.

It doesn't matter what zoom level I use. even if only one cache icon is displayed, it will not open a link to the cache page.

thank you.