Quality Caches for CHeap!

Hey everyone!

Are you tired of having to go to online caching stores and having to pay around $4 for a single, small bison tube? Or about $3.50 for a magnetic nano/micro? Well I've got some ideas to get yourself a (magnetic) bison tube cache for only about $1.25 a piece (not including S&H).

First you are gonna need to find some tubes straight from the distributors, without any huge mark-ups. There is a company named (removed) that will sell you a dozen "ID Holders" (Bison Tubes) for $6 . Thats only .50 Cents each. Heres the URL

(advertisement removed by moderator)

Buy those and you have 12 bisons for $6 (not including S&H)

If you want to make them magnetic, get some cheap neodymium magnets. Go to a website called (advertisement removed by moderator) and click on the Surplus link on the left hand side of the page. Here you can get 100 small but strong magnets for about $5.00 (not including S&H). Now you have your magnets.

To attach the magnets to the tube, you will need some type of adhesive or something to stick the flat magnet to the circular tube. I found a product called J-B Weld which is a cold weld product. It includes two tubes. One contains a liquid steel/epoxy resin and the other tube contains a hardener. Simply mix an equal amount of the two, apply it to the bison tube, and set the magnet level to the tube. Let it cure for about 24 hours and you are all set.

For painting the tube camo or black, go to your local Wal-Mart or home improvement store and pick up some ultra-flat spray paint. The cans at my Wal-Mart come in Nature Black, Brown, Green, and Sand. Lightly sand the surface of the tube and magnet so the paint will stick better. REMOVE THE O-RING SEAL! If you do not then the paint will disintegrate the rubber. Its happened to many of my bison tubes that I bought pre-painted from an online dealer. After you remove the o-ring then lightly mist the tube with the spray paint. Let it dry, replace the o-ring, and you have a bison tube for less than $2 each!

Hopefully this will help you with not paying as much for cache containers.

If you have any other ideas for cheap cache containers. Post your idea on this thread.

Edited by mtn-man

Regarding the "bison" tubes... yeah, GREAT price. But.... (there's always a "but...", isn't there?)

From the website's sidebar:

Attention:

Minimum order requirement is $200.

We sell to business with tax id only

Actual product may vary from images shown

Edited by knowschad

The last bison tubes I ordered were about $1 apiece, maybe $1.50 with shipping. I've found the $.86 waterproof match containers to be just as waterproof with more room in them. A little camo duck tape and I don't even need to worry about painting...or I use the forest green ones that I picked up at target on sale for 2 for 50 cents.

And yet, I still find myself more drawn to putting out my $3 ammo cans.

The last bison tubes I ordered were about $1 apiece, maybe $1.50 with shipping. I've found the $.86 waterproof match containers to be just as waterproof with more room in them. A little camo duck tape and I don't even need to worry about painting...or I use the forest green ones that I picked up at target on sale for 2 for 50 cents.

Where the heck did you find them for that much?

Wow! Where are you getting them for $3? That's awesome!!

A local cacher who made a huge auction purchase....think the current batch may be up to $4. It's a great system if there's someone with the upfront cash and a place to store 'em.

Where the heck did you find them for that much?

PM on its way...she's in your area enough that if she has some, I'm sure she'd bring you a batch.

Thank You, Thank You! :)

Let's hear it for caches you can put hand into! :lol::huh:

Hey everyone!

Are you tired of having to go to online caching stores and having to pay around $4 for a single, small bison tube? Or about $3.50 for a magnetic nano/micro? Well I've got some ideas to get yourself a (magnetic) bison tube cache for only about $1.25 a piece (not including S&H).

haha, nope! not tired of it, because I've always found them for under $1 each.

Edited the first post a bit. Anyone can use Google and can find several sources for this stuff. You don't have to advertise for these folks.

So how come you are allowed to advertise the search engine you mention above? Please edit your own post! Rules should be good for everybody :anitongue:

Oh my... grow up.