Cache Construction Tips

I didn't see an existing topic for this, so I thought I'd make one.

What I'm aiming to do with this thread is to just provide a general repository for all construction-related questions, answers, and tips. That way, someone who's new to creating customized caches (like me) can read through one thread rather than try to search and find a dozen different ones.

So, to start off, how do people go about removing the ammo information from ammo cans? Additionally, what's a good type of paint to use on the cans?

Hopefully, we can make this a useful resource! Thanks!

... So, to start off, how do people go about removing the ammo information from ammo cans? Additionally, what's a good type of paint to use on the cans?

I use rustoleum 'camo' paint on my cans. It covers well with no prep.

If you are painting the can, there is no need to remove the yellow lettering, just paint over it. If you are not painting the can, 'goof off' will take the lettering off, but don't use it if you are going to paint the can because it will leave a residue that you will then need to remove.

Edited by sbell111
So, to start off, how do people go about removing the ammo information from ammo cans? Additionally, what's a good type of paint to use on the cans?

I don't remove the lettering, I paint over it. I use either Krylon or Rustoleum camo paints found at my local big box. I've found that Krylon allows me to simply knock of the dirt and loose rust. These two paints seem to cover better than anything else. Painting a can up is quick and easy. The colors you use depend on the environment. Play with different patterning techniques, but the most important thing is to not judge how pretty it looks on your garage floor! Go put in the wild and step back.

If you don't want to camo-paint the can, pretty much any common paint remover (or nail-polish remover) will quickly get rid of the yellow marking paint. The green base paint is much more durable and will stay in place unless you take a grinder or wire brush to it.

Got the lettering off with rubbing alcohol. Thanks, everyone. Out of curiosity, how well does Rustoleum paint survive the elements?

Also, another question for a different kind of cache. Someone on eBay sells what they call the "flat cache"-- a sheet of magnet with four or five of those vinyl letter stickers stuck to the front, designed to be placed on utility boxes or in other urban areas. I want to make one of my own, but I can't figure out how best to deal with the log. The eBay seller's cache has just one Rite in the Rain log sheet on the back, but I'd like to have more space than that-- anyone have any ideas?

Got the lettering off with rubbing alcohol. Thanks, everyone. Out of curiosity, how well does Rustoleum paint survive the elements?
Rustoleum holds up really well.
Also, another question for a different kind of cache. Someone on eBay sells what they call the "flat cache"-- a sheet of magnet with four or five of those vinyl letter stickers stuck to the front, designed to be placed on utility boxes or in other urban areas. I want to make one of my own, but I can't figure out how best to deal with the log. The eBay seller's cache has just one Rite in the Rain log sheet on the back, but I'd like to have more space than that-- anyone have any ideas?
It's my understanding that the reviewers will no longer list these caches under the current definition of 'container', whatever that is.

It's my understanding that the reviewers will no longer list these caches under the current definition of 'container', whatever that is.

You sure about that? I've seen them approved within very recent time frames (last 2-3 weeks)

-Roger

If you're going to place an ammo can be sure to thoroughly clean out the inside of the can. They can be pretty dirty and may has ammo residue as well. A dirty ammo can will make your swag dirty. Also, painting the inside of the can adds a professional touch. White is a good color to use.

Rustoleum holds up really well.

I think it is the definition of "log"...there are a couple like that around this area. I could be wrong, but my understanding about those changes were in refference to being able to sign something at the cache...

Though, the "Flat Caches" around here do use a baseball card sleeve as a container (one of those hard, plastic types)...

Edit: Spelling

Edited by ArcherDragoon
You sure about that? I've seen them approved within very recent time frames (last 2-3 weeks)

-Roger

I'm pretty sure. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

Lep spoke to this issue here:

I am not aware of a change in the definition of a container. Are magnetic log sheet on a guardrail or metal box no longer allowed? In any case there was a container here - the phone book. And if that is not good enough then the phone booth was the container.
Well, obviously Groundspeak disagrees with your calling the phone book or the phone booth a "container." See the archive log.

A container is something that "contains" the log. As in, "encloses." Every physical cache needs a container.

A magnet that you write on that gets changed when it is full is not a container. A magnetic sheet that covers write-in-the-rain paper is a container.

Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to know what the difference is between his two examples, so I'm not sure what the rule is.

Nah, you can go cheaper than that. You can get large sheets of magnets at school- and office supply stores, then get stick-on letters from the same location or from a hardware store (for numbering mailboxes and such). As for the container, just glue a ziplock back to the back of the magnet. It'll leak like a sieve after a half dozen people open it, but it'll be a smiley.
Nah, you can go cheaper than that. You can get large sheets of magnets at school- and office supply stores, then get stick-on letters from the same location or from a hardware store (for numbering mailboxes and such). As for the container, just glue a ziplock back to the back of the magnet. It'll leak like a sieve after a half dozen people open it, but it'll be a smiley.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking of doing, save for the ziploc bag. I'd rather not hide a cache I know is going to fall to pieces-- that just seems like bad form, you know?