Garmin 76 CSx - Did they remove "Find by Name"?

I have a Garmin 76 CSx and City Navigator - and ever since I updated to firmwares 3.60/3.70, I discovered that "Find by Name" no longer appears as an option for POI searches. It's still there when searching Waypoints, but not for any of the POI searches.

Can any of you confirm that they removed this from the latest firmwares? Because if they did, I'm really annoyed.

I have a Garmin 76 CSx and City Navigator - and ever since I updated to firmwares 3.60/3.70, I discovered that "Find by Name" no longer appears as an option for POI searches. It's still there when searching Waypoints, but not for any of the POI searches.

Can any of you confirm that they removed this from the latest firmwares? Because if they did, I'm really annoyed.

It is there in find "All POI" and in the other categories doesn't "Nearest Containing..." do the same thing?

It is there in find "All POI" and in the other categories

And which unit and firmware version do you have?

doesn't "Nearest Containing..." do the same thing?

No, "Nearest Containing" is different for two reasons.

1. It only looks near your current location (or reference), so if what you're looking for isn't nearby, it will say there are zero matches when that's not true.

2. It looks for your entered text anywhere in the name, whereas "Find by Name" assumes you're typing from the beginning. That means that "Find by Name" will come up with something in five seconds that might take ten minutes for "Nearest Containing" to find, assuming it's close enough for it to find it at all.

It is there in find "All POI" and in the other categories doesn't "Nearest Containing..." do the same thing?

Are you sure? Mine is exactly the opposite: I have “Find By Name” for POI searches in specific categories, but not for “All POI.” For “All POI,” I have only “Nearest Containing” and “Change Reference.”

I have a 76CSx with Firmware 3.70.

Are you sure? Mine is exactly the opposite: I have “Find By Name” for POI searches in specific categories, but not for “All POI.” For “All POI,” I have only “Nearest Containing” and “Change Reference.”

I have a 76CSx with Firmware 3.70.

Yes, a quick review showed Cities and All POI had Find by Name. Screen shot for All POI below:

d9b194d9-2160-4724-b87c-ce32adfb9321.jpg

Edit to add: Software Version 3.70, GPS SW Version 3.00

Edited by Klatch

Yes, a quick review showed Cities and All POI had Find by Name. Screen shot for All POI below:

d9b194d9-2160-4724-b87c-ce32adfb9321.jpg

Edit to add: Software Version 3.70, GPS SW Version 3.00

Thanks for posting the screenshot. This is really interesting. I don’t have xImage installed, and I don’t have time to do it right now, but I just checked again and I definitely don’t have Find By Name for All POI. I also have Software Version 3.70, GPS SW Version 3.00, though I can’t imagine that the latter has anything to do with it.

At first, I thought they deliberately removed this feature (partially because they did exactly that for Custom POI searches). But now I'm wondering if it's a bug.

Well something is definitely wrong. I tried this with 3 different map loads and got 2 different results. In one case, I get the Find By Name option in specific categories; but when I select it, it doesn’t find anything no matter what letters I enter. In all cases, Nearest Containing … works as it should.

My regular map load is all of CNNA 2009 NT plus Indyjpr’s custom topo maps for the State of Colorado on a 4 GB SDHC card. With that load, I don’t get the option for Find By Name for All POI, but I do get that option in the categories of Cities, Shopping, Fuel Services, Attractions, Food & Drink, and Entertainment. If I select Find By Name in any of those categories except Cities, I get None Found no matter what letters I enter. In other words, the option is in the menu, but it doesn’t work. In the Cities category, it works as it should. I suspect the Cities category gets its data from the base map, so maybe it has something to do with that.

As a test, I loaded a single segment of CNNA 2009 NT (State of Colorado) onto the 128 MB card that came with the unit. With this load, I don’t get the Find By Name option in All POI or any specific category except Cities. This proves that this isn’t some previously undiscovered problem with cards larger than 2 GB.

I wondered whether it might be necessary to have some minimum amount of maps loaded for the option to be available, so I maxed out the 128 MB card with as much of CN as I could load. No difference in the results between this and having only 1 segment loaded.

I don’t know what’s going on, but something isn’t right. I wonder whether the problem might actually be with CNNA 2009 NT. Klatch and Enchanted Shadow what maps do you have loaded?

I don’t know what’s going on, but something isn’t right. I wonder whether the problem might actually be with CNNA 2009 NT. Klatch and Enchanted Shadow what maps do you have loaded?

CN v.8 NT (2 releases old, now). I also have some of Topo 2008, some of Road and Recreation, and custom 1:24,000 topo maps I made for PA loaded on a 2 gig card.

CNNA 2009 NT. And I find it interesting that you're seeing the "Find by Name" option at all, whereas I don't have it on any of the POI searches.

Oh, this sucks. I just spoke with Garmin, and after researching the issue, they told me that the NT editions of their mapping software lose that functionality.

But apparently not in a consistent way, considering that you, Klatch and I all have NT maps, but see slightly different results with different versions and circumstances. :yikes:

I personally don’t ever use Find By Name because I didn’t see any logic to the results. The results weren’t organized based on distance from my current location. It was as likely to list something in the next state first as it was to list something in my current city. :mad: I found that useless, so I quit using it, which is why I never noticed it was gone until now. Sorry that it’s something that you’ll miss, though.

But apparently not in a consistent way, considering that you, Klatch and I all have NT maps, but see slightly different results with different versions and circumstances. :ph34r:

Good point. Perhaps it's worth a few other people calling Garmin tech support - it wouldn't be the first time they gave out incorrect information.

I personally don’t ever use Find By Name because I didn’t see any logic to the results. The results weren’t organized based on distance from my current location. It was as likely to list something in the next state first as it was to list something in my current city. :mad: I found that useless, so I quit using it, which is why I never noticed it was gone until now. Sorry that it’s something that you’ll miss, though.

That's the beauty of it - it finds by name regardless of distance; it's simply alphabetical. If you've got custom POIs, you might want to find something 50 miles away - Find by Name would bring it up in seconds. But if you used Nearest Containing, you might as well go grab lunch - and that's assuming it finds it at all.

It all depends on whether you're searching for something relatively unique or not. If you want to find a Staples, than it's worthless, true enough. :yikes: