Dave Barry on GPS

I got a GPS for Christmas, and I spent the entire day sitting on the couch, putting it to good use. Like, I figured out exactly where our house is. My wife told me this was exciting news. I think she was being sarcastic, but I couldn't be sure, because I had to keep watching the GPS screen, in case our house moved. I also used my GPS to figure out exactly how far my couch is from LaGuardia airport (1,103 miles). These is NO END to the usefulness of this device!

My new GPS device is an extremely important gadget that every guy in the world needs. It receives signals from orbiting satellites and somehow - I suspect the "cosine" is involved - it figures out exactly where on the Earth you are. Let's say you're in the town of Arcola, Illinois, but for some reason you do not realize this. You turn on your GPS, and, after pondering for a few minutes, it informs you that you are in ... Arcola Illinois! My wife argues that it's easier to just ASK somebody, but of course you cannot do that, if you truly are a guy.

Even better than that, I have two GPSs (wonder what the plural of GPS is :( )

I can now be in two places at once, create a waymark, works better under trees. :D , then "GOTO" it.

One GPS says I'm 20m away the other says I'm 5m away, so must be true, two places at once :D:)

Just checked, I've got another house!!! 8m down the road, better not tell the wife, she may want to move there :(:( Just realised I must be MOVING!!!

Nick

I also find you can be in more than 2 places at once. for instnace I have now 2 gpsr's plus one gps on my phone and one on my pda each of these devices say I'm somewhere other than where I am. how do I know this? Simple the sign in front of me say you are here?

The question really is who can you trust?

Donny

I'm here there and usually everywhere!

Edited by Donmoore

......Oh, and one occasion when I ran into some ne'erdowell in the bar at Kings Cross Station!.....

You do realise that that was the very first UK Mega event?

We should have some commemorative Geocoins minted!!

Neil

Aye, and just 498 short of the numbers required to make it an official one! Of course if everyone had turned up who was meant to have been there we'd only have been 497 short!! :lol:

Of course, we missed a chance to start our very own congratulations thread as well. :)

......Oh, and one occasion when I ran into some ne'erdowell in the bar at Kings Cross Station!.....

You do realise that that was the very first UK Mega event?

We should have some commemorative Geocoins minted!!

Neil

Aye, and just 498 short of the numbers required to make it an official one! Of course if everyone had turned up who was meant to have been there we'd only have been 497 short!! :lol:

Of course, we missed a chance to start our very own congratulations thread as well. :)

But, it was the first in the UK!!