Sell my GPS in US or Germany?

Jamie Z

As I've briefly mentioned in a couple of threads, I'm shipping off to Germany very soon. For the trip, I've bought a new Legend HCx with European city maps. At home here, I have the old reliable Magellan Meridian Gold that's now probably redundant.

I'm considering selling it, but a curious thought came to me. Wouldn't it be better if I brought it to Germany and sold it there? From what I hear, GPS units in Europe are incredibly expensive. Seems to me, I could help out myself as well as some lucky buyer by packing the GPS in my luggage and selling it once I get there.

Thoughts? If it matters, my German is not good enough to post a German-language craigslist posting or eBay auction.

Jamie

Technically there are laws that prohibit you to sell a North American gps unit overseas.

nonsense . . .

All GPSRs in Europe are imported. There is no law against gps units from NA.

But as already mentioned there would be not much benefit trading an old Magellan in Europe.

Regards - Anton

The price difference is to consider. For an european, it compensates a lot buying a GPS unit from the US. After all, the US dollar is very cheap, right now, and the retail prices of the unites are considerably lower.

Off course, there's always the obstacle of the Customs that usually force us to pay a tax (a third of the final price) to get your unit.

I'd advise you to sell yours in Europe. You'll get more, for sure. Check the auction sites in Germany, for example. You'll get an average "street" price for the unit.

Have a nice trip and pleasant stay in Germany.

PS. Consider visiting Portugal :(

Technically there are laws that prohibit you to sell a North American gps unit overseas.

nonsense . . .

All GPSRs in Europe are imported. There is no law against gps units from NA.

But as already mentioned there would be not much benefit trading an old Magellan in Europe.

Regards - Anton

International Use. Software and other materials from the Magellan sites may also be subject to export controls of the United States and/or such other country whose export restriction may apply. Export Control laws prohibit the export of certain technical data and software to certain territories such as Libya, Cuba, North Korea, Syria, Iran or Iraq. No software or other materials from the Magellan sites may be downloaded or exported to any such countries, companies and/or individuals that may be subject to such export restrictions or proscribed by the United States Export Administration Regulations without first complying with the licensing requirements of such regulations. Magellan does not authorize the downloading or exportation of any software or technical data from the Magellan sites to any jurisdiction prohibited by the Export Laws.

Obvioulsy Germany was not one of those certain territories I was speaking generally. If you sell a gps unit to a Syrian National in Germany persay you are in violation of the law.

Obvioulsy Germany was not one of those certain territories I was speaking generally. If you sell a gps unit to a Syrian National in Germany persay you are in violation of the law.

hi storm,

you're kidding :(

It's better not to discuss politics here . . .

Regards - Anton

hi storm,

you're kidding :lol:

It's better not to discuss politics here . . .

Regards - Anton

Was not discussing politics I was using it as an example. There are US export laws that prohibit the sale and transfer of GPS units. Even if you were going to give one away as a gift to someone who lives in a country that US does not consider friendly and you live in the US. Technically you are in violation of US Export Laws.