CAVES?

gps_junky

I have been working on a cache for about 2 years and have countless hours spent on making it "work" I have over $100 into it. I guess I have to say that it will be a multi cache (THAT SHOULD MAKE CACHE OF THE YEAR) but the final cache has to be in a cave! Or old underground area (At this point, I don't care) But it has to be unkown to muggles and on Public ground. Dry is a must too. Does anyone know where I can find a cache within a few miles of the TWIN CITY's? Need it to be NE, E, SE or S of the city's. Please any info at all would help!

CORDS

Directions

Town

Landmark Directions

Even a web site that lists some caves will work.

Any of that, I will spend some time finding the right spot. This will be one of my greatesed caches.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

As a member of the NSS (National Speleological Society), I would strongly urge you to not put the cache in a natural cave. For one, if there are any technical aspects to the cave, even the risk of a dropped and unrecoverable flashlight down a hole, you don't want inexperienced cavers without proper equipment going into the cave. Also, many caves are ecologically sensitive, whether it be protecting endangered bat species, or preserving cave formations which are frequently vandalized or broken off for souvenirs. Also, to protect caves, those who know where they are are often reluctant to share that information with the non-caving public, to avoid accidents and vandalism. Making it public as a geocache could bring about bad consequences.

So when you say "cave", I hope you are only talking about a shallow rock shelter of very limited size, and not a real limestone cave that you can enter and walk/crawl into.

Thanks in advance for your consideration in being sensitive to these issues.

I am in 100% agreement. I am just looking for a small cave that is maybe the size of a living room. NOTHING MORE! I have read the articles about people dieing in them and being an experienced caver from MO. know of the consiquenses of not knowing what your doing that could resolt in death. Even an old root seller would be perfect. Thats prity much what I am looking for. I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW OF ANY "LARGE" caves that you can travel more then 50 feet into please!

So when you say "cave", I hope you are only talking about a shallow rock shelter of very limited size, and not a real limestone cave that you can enter and walk/crawl into.

Yes, when we say "cave" around here, (Mississippi River Valley in Minnesota) we are generally speaking of manmade caves that were carved into the soft sandstone & limestone around the turn of the century. The only "true" cave that I know of, Crystal Cave in Wisconsin, is privately owned.

Wish I could help you out, GPS_Junky, but nothing comes to mind right now. Looking forward to your cache, though!!

Maybe an abandoned railroad tunnel, or a large culvert?

-R

There are a few caches around here in large culverts. One of them is under a parking lot of a strip mall, which of course has a lamp post with a liftable skirt near ground zero. The DNF logs are interesting:

"I went to the coordinates and it was in the middle of a parking lot. I checked out the lamp post and the cache was not there. I think it is missing."

Perhaps looking at topo maps of the area for streams/creeks that run through an urban area will yield some possible locations for the cache.

I would suggest asking the mods to mover this thread to the regional forum for the region which includes MN -- you will likely receive far more responses.

And yes, I agree with other posters that you want to concentrate on finding shallow cave-like openings or old RR tunnels, etc., rather than pristine caves or sensitive caves.

Have fun!

As a member of the NSS (National Speleological Society), I would strongly urge you to not put the cache in a natural cave. For one, if there are any technical aspects to the cave, even the risk of a dropped and unrecoverable flashlight down a hole, you don't want inexperienced cavers without proper equipment going into the cave. Also, many caves are ecologically sensitive, whether it be protecting endangered bat species, or preserving cave formations which are frequently vandalized or broken off for souvenirs. Also, to protect caves, those who know where they are are often reluctant to share that information with the non-caving public, to avoid accidents and vandalism. Making it public as a geocache could bring about bad consequences.

How would a cache in a deeper natural cave be any worse than any other proper 5/5 cache ?

There is a series here in the UK - the Underworld Series - that has been live for over 2 years now without incident, almost all stages are in natural karst caves, the pages are well written with adequate warnings and advice, and there don't seem to have been any complaints at all - apart from the occassional arachnophobic log......

Being an ex club caver, and now just an enthusiastic but uninsured cave and mine explorer I know that local clubs can be extremely territorial and defensive about caves that they consider their domain - even when they're publicly accessible...

I have been working on a cache for about 2 years and have countless hours spent on making it "work" I have over $100 into it. I guess I have to say that it will be a multi cache (THAT SHOULD MAKE CACHE OF THE YEAR) but the final cache has to be in a cave! Or old underground area (At this point, I don't care) But it has to be unkown to muggles and on Public ground. Dry is a must too. Does anyone know where I can find a cache within a few miles of the TWIN CITY's? Need it to be NE, E, SE or S of the city's. Please any info at all would help!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I have many ideas but saving them all for myself. Besides, its pretty easy to determine where in Minnesota caves would be located. They require one very important geological feature of which can be found on any map.

I know of a small Minnesota cave but it's up on the Iron Range. It's at a place near Nashwauk called "The Big Rock". I placed a cache nearby when it goes live you can get the coords.

I left my GPSr with the coords up north and it's being mailed back. If that cave will do, I'll gladly archive my for you if it's too close.