i still want it

flask

periodically i ask for a button to be installed on the "post a new log" page so that i can go to "view a cache log" with one click.

this is in place when i'm finished uploading a photo; i want it to be in place when i write a new log.

each successive time i ask for this feature i threaten to repeat my request every now and again if my demands aren't met. since so far this has not been implemented, i am asking for it again and will continue to make relatively polite requests until it is implemented.

ha. take that, Groundspeak people.

periodically i ask for a button to be installed on the "post a new log" page so that i can go to "view a cache log" with one click.

this is in place when i'm finished uploading a photo; i want it to be in place when i write a new log.

each successive time i ask for this feature i threaten to repeat my request every now and again if my demands aren't met. since so far this has not been implemented, i am asking for it again and will continue to make relatively polite requests until it is implemented.

You say request but call it a demand, which is it? :(:(

Edited by Michael

Another entitlement activist heard from.

I have similar demands requests. I want a free membership if I locate 25 or more caches during a calendar year. A free GPS upgrade every 1K caches.

Since it is considered unreasonable to work on site fixes and improvement until I get these are implemented, I intend to throw a tantrum request this periodically until such time as they are met implemented.

I second the demands requests by baloo&bd. I also demand request a free voucher of 1,000 gallons of diesel with my full commitment that I shall only use it for geocaching.

Until these are implemented, I'll send voice mails to GSP with me singing one of Cyndi Lauper's hits.

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

If you didn't let your finds pile up so long before logging them, it wouldn't be a problem. poke.gif

I second the demands requests by baloo&bd. I also demand request a free voucher of 1,000 gallons of diesel with my full commitment that I shall only use it for geocaching.

Until these are implemented, I'll send voice mails to GSP with me singing one of Cyndi Lauper's hits.

Cyndi Lauper??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I don't get it. Do you mean like the [Visit Log] link you see after uploading a photo? When you post a log you automatically land on that page already. Why would you need a link when you can already see the log?

I don't get it. Do you mean like the [Visit Log] link you see after uploading a photo? When you post a log you automatically land on that page already. Why would you need a link when you can already see the log?

Thank god. I thought I was the only one who was completely baffled by what the request was about.

Thank god. I thought I was the only one who was completely baffled by what the request was about.

Sorry flask, I don't really get what you are asking either.

no, no.

when you finish your log, you see the log but it isn't actually what you get when you go to the log from the cache page. for instance if you want to link your logs together (as is my habit if i do more than one cache in a day) when i submit the log i get a page that's very much like the "view cache log page", but if you link to it, you get "post a new log"

then i have to go to the cache page and click "visit/edit log on a separate page" to get the link i need.

NOW do y'all get it?

and cnc, i'll have you know i am current in my logs up to about four in the afternoon last saturday.

Let's not abuse the pony. As we all know I am the original "I want a pony" person and you have to pay a royalty to use that phrase in here.

Long Live Kimono. :yikes:

OK, I now owe you a second beer. :mad:

I get that now flask. Never noticed that. Interesting request.

So a link to the actual log on that page might get it?

yep.

it'd save me and others like me a little trouble. i figure it can't be that hard to do and it wouldn't change the fundamental nature of anything.

bump.

i am currently logging my caches from last weekend. this would still be useful to me.

may we have it, please?

you have a choice: you can implement it, or i will continue to ask politely for it at suitable intervals. don't test me; i swear, i'll do it.

Y'know... minor suggestion. Continuously asking for something over and over and over again, while using words like "demand" and "threaten" is probably about the worst possible way to ask for something.

Honestly, if I were in charge of updating things on the site, I'd either not implement it specifically BECAUSE of you, or somehow make it such that your account is unable to access it.

Seriously... threatening something until your demands are met? Yeah, that goes over with people REALLY well these days :lol:

You seem to be the only person who wants/needs this feature.

Most of us don't link a day's worth of caches together.

I've always thought a "Next Cache Found By This Person" button would be great. You read someone's log, click a link and see the next log they've written. Or previous, what ever. Flask simply does it manually and a bit more artfully.

yep.

it'd save me and others like me a little trouble. i figure it can't be that hard to do and it wouldn't change the fundamental nature of anything.

There are no others like you. This is a little known fact, but still true.

And yes, a pony would be easier.

Fundamental nature of anything - time travel is hard on the system and fraught with paradox dangers. Dealing with the times we live in is dangerous enough.

i'm not the only one who wants it, but of those of us about whom i know, i'm the only one who hangs out in the forums.

and i will be willing to bet you real money that if such a handy little button were added to the "log a cache" page, other people would use it.

Y'know... minor suggestion. Continuously asking for something over and over and over again, while using words like "demand" and "threaten" is probably about the worst possible way to ask for something.

Honestly, if I were in charge of updating things on the site, I'd either not implement it specifically BECAUSE of you, or somehow make it such that your account is unable to access it.

Seriously... threatening something until your demands are met? Yeah, that goes over with people REALLY well these days :lol:

don't get humor, do you?

it's kind of a goof on the people who come in here and make tons of demands, threatening to geocide or boycott or sue. the feature is a simple one. the "threat" of repeating a polite request is the joke.

let me help you: humor usually incorporates some element that is out of proportion. in this case, the threat is so weak as to be not even a threat and therefore out of proportion. see, that's the funny part. i wouldn't expect you to understand.

I've always thought a "Next Cache Found By This Person" button would be great. You read someone's log, click a link and see the next log they've written. Or previous, what ever. Flask simply does it manually and a bit more artfully.

thank you; it's very kind of you to say so.

If you have to explain humor, then it's not humorous and you've missed your mark.

there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

i know a lot of people who don't get that joke, but it's still funny.

i'm not the only one who wants it, but of those of us about whom i know, i'm the only one who hangs out in the forums.

and i will be willing to bet you real money that if such a handy little button were added to the "log a cache" page, other people would use it.

Seriously... threatening something until your demands are met? Yeah, that goes over with people REALLY well these days :blink:

don't get humor, do you?

it's kind of a goof on the people who come in here and make tons of demands, threatening to geocide or boycott or sue. the feature is a simple one. the "threat" of repeating a polite request is the joke.

let me help you: humor usually incorporates some element that is out of proportion. in this case, the threat is so weak as to be not even a threat and therefore out of proportion. see, that's the funny part. i wouldn't expect you to understand.

thank you; it's very kind of you to say so.

It would be a little silly for a company to set priority based on how likable a customer is. It was suggested earlier in another thread that Groundspeak might be ignoring feature requests on the basis that a specific person was asking for them. Very amusing. Everyone knows we flip a coin :anibad: . While it's true you catch more flies with honey, we're not so vindictive as to be blinded to a legitimate need and we instead... what? Punish someone through inaction?

The truth is much more boring. More often than not, it's simply a function of people's priorities not lining up with Groundspeak's. Unfortunately, we have a long list of "must dos" before we can tackle the "nice to haves". In this case I think you have a legitimate "nice to have" that will become available if you're patient. Or if you're not. Either way.

It would be a little silly for a company to set priority based on how likable a customer is. It was suggested earlier in another thread that Groundspeak might be ignoring feature requests on the basis that a specific person was asking for them. Very amusing. Everyone knows we flip a coin :anibad: . While it's true you catch more flies with honey, we're not so vindictive as to be blinded to a legitimate need and we instead... what? Punish someone through inaction?

The truth is much more boring. More often than not, it's simply a function of people's priorities not lining up with Groundspeak's. Unfortunately, we have a long list of "must dos" before we can tackle the "nice to haves". In this case I think you have a legitimate "nice to have" that will become available if you're patient. Or if you're not. Either way.

you know, that's exactly the way i figured it.

it has always been my assumption that since it's not a huge deal that it might get tacked on with something more important one of these days. i figure i'll ask again every so often just to jar your memory.

at work when a kid wanted to put in a request for a particular activity and it wasn't on my top page, i'd tell them to remind me every week or so until i got around to it.

Edited by flask

If you have to explain humor, then it's not humorous and you've missed your mark.

Sometimes people just don't have a sense of humor either and see nothing but seriousness in every post no matter how subtle or abruptly in your face the humor is. Frankly, reading Flask's posts these past few years, I chuckled the first time I saw Flask's "threat" and continue to chuckle when I see it followed through.

Perhaps the best argument for flask's request is that it would simplify the site. Not by using an extra button, but by having the Submit take one to exactly the same page as one reaches from the cache page, including the same URL. Presenting the same information in two slightly different ways tends to confuse users. Often the confusion is slight, as in this case. However, there are a lot of slight confusions in the gc.com web site, and they add up to the web site being quite a bit harder to use than it should be. Converging these pages would be a step in the right direction.

Oh, personally I'd like the "next/previous log by this cacher" buttons, though I'd prefer that they be available in the cache pages (taking you to the next cache) and in the separate logs (taking you to the next log). I like the way flask does it and have experimented with it myself, though I linked caches rather than logs.

Edward

Or else the person you have to explain it to is humor impaired; or is so sentive that they jump to the wrong conclusion or assume you're insulting them or saying something totally different. I never explain subtle humor. If they get it, great. If not, not my problem.

there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

A friend of mine has that posted at his desk at work. I think it's hilarious. I know several people who don't get it. I'm not going to explain it to them. :)

Or else the person you have to explain it to is humor impaired; or is so sentive that they jump to the wrong conclusion or assume you're insulting them or saying something totally different. I never explain subtle humor. If they get it, great. If not, not my problem.

A friend of mine has that posted at his desk at work. I think it's hilarious. I know several people who don't get it. I'm not going to explain it to them. :)

among my friends, we consider the explaining of a joke to be not really an explanation of the joke, but a commentary on the person the joke is being explained to. this is often funnier than the joke itself, but it's lost on the thick.

i still don't have the button and i still want it.

now that you have not met my demands, i must therefore make good on my threat to ask again politely.

may i please have the button?

if you do not give me this button i will revive this topic some months from now and ask again. you wouldn't want that to happen.

I'm sure Groundspeaks quakes before your continued graciousness.

I fear you may have undone your own cause, however, by introducing the notion of a user attribute, specifically "needs handholding". It's such an attractive notion, that surely they'll be enticed to work on its implementation before your precious button.

It would be a little silly for a company to set priority based on how likable a customer is. It was suggested earlier in another thread that Groundspeak might be ignoring feature requests on the basis that a specific person was asking for them. Very amusing. Everyone knows we flip a coin :rolleyes: . While it's true you catch more flies with honey, we're not so vindictive as to be blinded to a legitimate need and we instead... what? Punish someone through inaction?

Sounds like this months coin flip planning session did not go your way.

I am very upset that my video is now gone. I need to petition that web site. I think I'll go watch the kitty and the puppymonster play in the backyard instead though. This one is close enough.

bec and I are still awaiting the arrival of our pony.

Royalty check has been sent to Michael.