Garmin 60csx, is it right for me?

Greetings,

So I've done a bit of research and reading. And I may be at the point of information overload, but I think I've found a GPS that will suit all my needs.

I live in the NW, so water resistant/water proof is a must. We also seem to have our fair share of trees, clouds, water and mountains. Any extra sensitivity I can get sure can't hurt. I'm mostly out on the back roads and in the woods, or smaller towns. So I don't think I have a big need for city maps, but I may invest in the topography maps for our area and the National Parks.

I do a good bit of photography and hiking, and adding Geocaching to my outdoor activities sounds like just the ticket. I had been thinking it would be a good idea to get a GPS just for the general hiking I've been doing. It's also fun to be able to plot where all my photos have been taken.

Will the 60csx fit my needs? Is it to much? Not enough? Or is there another model out there that would be a better fit?

What is the general accuracy with this unit, 100 feet, 50 feet?

If more information is needed I'm more the willing to expand on my needs/wants.

Thank you for your time.

The 60 has become the "Gold Standard" in recent years. You ask is it too much? Other than cost I have to answer NO. I personally like and use most of the features and button layout fits my style. The 76 is layed out with the buttons above the screen so you may want to try it before you buy one.

Regarding the water proof issue. The 60 will do just fine in wet conditions. Drop it over board it will sink, the 76 floats but it's a larger unit.

Antenna receiption? The 60 doesn't mind what angle you hold it (hense the antenna ) while the 76 prefers to be held horizontial. To me signal acquisition is paramount and the rest is frills. The 60 series takes this category hands down whether it is in my pack while hunting in a heavily treed, very steep and tight valley.

The 60CSx will definitely fit your needs very well, it's an absolutely incredible unit. I've had mine for 2 years now and it has more than lived up to it's reputation. The only problem I see with it is that once you get used to it, nothing else will compare! I say buy it, you won't be disapointed.

Accuracy is great on the 60CSx, I cannot be specific because it depends on where you are and coverage but it gets me directly to the cache without a problem.

You might want to look at a 76CSx if you want something that floats. Both units have the same insides.

I bought the Oregon and Colorado 400 T and returned them both. They are great for Geocaching, but for accuracy of the 60scx beats both of them.

I wish I hadn't sold my 60scx.

Garmin needs a unit with the accuracy of the 60scx and the features of the Oregon series.

Edited by schmidtbaby

Antenna receiption? The 60 doesn't mind what angle you hold it (hense the antenna ) while the 76 prefers to be held horizontial. To me signal acquisition is paramount and the rest is frills. The 60 series takes this category hands down whether it is in my pack while hunting in a heavily treed, very steep and tight valley.

The 60CSx and the 76CSx have the same quad helix antenna. It says so in the manual and it has been discussed in this thread. That thread even has a picture showing the 76CSx with the case opened to show the antenna.

If you want something that may get dunked and therefore floats then you should go for the 76CSx over the 60CSx. However your choice of units really comes down to either the 60CSx or the Vista HCx, both are equal with regards to your needs.

So as far as capabilities go either choice is good therefore the only decision rests with which style of unit you prefer, the only real difference between the two is one of ergonomics.

At first glance the 60CSx looks better than the Vista HCx because it's bigger and chunkier and has a sort of macho man 10-4 good buddy look to it. It has a cool looking chunky aerial that is a quad helix rather than the dull sounding patch antenna of the HCx. However both perform identically for all practical purposes. Both have equal sensitivity and both have equal position accuracy.

The 60CSx looks like it has a bigger screen and that looks inviting, but it's just an illusion because the tiny bit of extra real estate is negated by the lower resolution.

To make the correct choice the only possible way is to ignore any rantings on this forum and go to a shop and try both units to see which one you prefer to handle. I prefer the smaller more compact size of the etrex as the 60CSx offers nothing in return for the extra bulk.

Some people prefer the buttons on the front of the 60CSx and it does look better than the etrex, but I found and so do many others that the eTrex is in fact easier and more ergonomic to handle. Each have their fanbase.

If you go to a store, try entering and address with each unit, that will give you a good idea as to which input method you prefer. The eTrex is lighter, smaller, brighter, with better battery life.

Thank you to all that have provided some advice. I did plan on going and testing out a few. About the only place local with any selection is a BestBuy. And I wanted to go armed with some info and not just listen to some sales pitch. The folks that use them are the ones that know what works and what doesn't.

Keep the information flowing, if any one has something to add.

Edited by Valkiera

I fully endorse the Garmin 60 series. I just bought a 60cx, I had the 60cs before that.

The Garmin 60cx and 60csx do autorouting, which I use often.

as someone pointed out the 60 series is water proof but does sink... While canoeing a few summers ago we flipped the canoe and the GPS was lost briefly.. but by some miracle we found it bouncing on the rocks on the bottom down stream... it was just fine once we got it back.

We don't use our GPS in the water often, but next time we do it will have a empty water bottle attached to it so it cannot sink

Not a huge fan of the electronic compasses in GPS units... they just seem to bounce around too much while you are walking to be useful

Made my first step to this sport and got the 60CSx. Right now I'm just getting to know it. Wanted to ask if it's a good idea to get a larger memory card and if so how big?

I'm thinging the TOPO maps may be a good investment. I live within a couple hours drive of a few National Parks and wildlife areas. It would be nice to have some clue as to where the roads lead. Any coments or recomendations here would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: is one type or kind of rechargable battery better then another?

Thanks all,

Val

Edited by Valkiera

Made my first step to this sport and got the 60CSx. Right now I'm just getting to know it. Wanted to ask if it's a good idea to get a larger memory card and if so how big?

I just bought the 2009 North America City Navigator NT. The entire map set fits in just a little over 1 GB flash. I just bought a 2GB (about $13 including shipping!) last week. I just wanted all the maps loaded along with plenty of room for custom waypoints.

One thing about the NT maps - you can fit more maps on your unit because they are compressed, but I've noticed that my 60CSx is much slower drawing, routing, etc with the NT maps. Given the price of SD cards nowadays, I'd rather have the non-NT maps eat up more space but get the perkiness back.