July Statistics

holograph

I've been trying to obtain the statistics for July, and from various comments posting in the board here, I would have expected to see a number of new reports.

However, there has been a glitch with retrieving the sheets for July, and I have been unable to find any new updates for GEOCAC. Specifically, when I retrieved datasheets by load date through my normal procedure, the process failed on the NGS server any time I included July 21. I pulled all sheets loaded between July 1-20 and July 22-31, but there are no new GEOCAC reports in those sheets.

I've been in touch with the NGS, and they don't see anything particularly unusual about July 21. However, as I mentioned, various comments here would make me believe that a large number of new GEOCAC reports should have shown up in the July statistics.

If any of you were monitoring datasheets and were able to notice that your reports appeared in the NGS online datasheets sometime during July, could you please post a few of the PIDs here so I can forward them to the NGS for investigation?

Thanks.

Here are a sampling of PIDs I recovered during July that did get updated: ET0321, ET0861, ET0285, ET0239, ES0985, DU0416 and DU1756, the last of which I recovered on 7/19.

I recovered 30 or so PIDs on 7/23 and 7/24, and submitted them on 7/25. I checked a few of those and didn't see any that have been updated yet.

However, there has been a glitch with retrieving the sheets for July, and I have been unable to find any new updates for GEOCAC. Specifically, when I retrieved datasheets by load date through my normal procedure, the process failed on the NGS server any time I included July 21. I pulled all sheets loaded between July 1-20 and July 22-31, but there are no new GEOCAC reports in those sheets.

I'm having the same issue - the query times out when you enter in July 21st. All other dates are fine. It appears as tho there's something wrong with the 'date index' on the database, whereas looking up July 21st is timing out on the server.

I believe it's an index and not an individual record issue because if you pull up affected PIDs another way, they pull up fine.

All of mine that were updated July range from 4/4/08 to 6/22/08:

CK3749

CK5938

CK3763

CK0653

CK5788

CK4839

CK4838

BR1862

CK3760

CK0656

CK0655

BR1861

BR1007

EE0050

EE0049

EE0001

EE0366

EE1788

GL0306

HJ0131

AE7691

..not much for 4 months, but.. I'm a lot slower than most of you. I have a 'real' job. :)

All of mine (and to which I believe all of everyone's) can be viewed individually of course.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

Interesting. It was the morning of July 21 that everything got uploaded. I don't have time right now (real work to do) but if there isn't a resolution by tomorrow morning, I'll try to post a more comprehensive list. In the mean time, a few I know off the top of my head:

RL0900

RL0722

RL0724

I had 5 posted in July

7-6

JW1788

7-12

JW1813

JW1816

7-19

JW1776

JW1783

I'm also waiting for May and June to show up. Upshur County is the one island of white on the map of my area and I posted HX0224 on 6-14.

Edited by 89SC

Holograph -

It started working for me tonight, tho VERY slowly. (i.e. 5-10+ minutes between choosing the state and date to when you get to choose the PIDs themselves.) So far, I have Alaska, Alabama, and Arizona, working on Arkansas as I type this. By the end of the night before bed I should have California and Colorado as well. I'll then resume tomorrow at work. If you want these files, lemme know. (Save time. :( )

Additional recoveries that were posted on 7/21:

RL0240

RL1555

RK0563

RK0194

RK0200

RK0197

RK0193

RK0207

RK0096

RK0052

RK0050

RK0635

RK0632

RK0570

AA8070

RK0094

RK0095

RL1457

RK0477

AB2524

RL1456

RL0005

RL0006

RK0283

RK0344

RK0590

RK0342

RK0340

RK0339

RK0338

RK0336

RK0335

RK0334

RK0332

RK0331

RK0543

RK0538

RK0452

RL0514

RL0726

RL0513

RL0516

RL0670

RL0671

RL0672

RL0673

RL0674

The long-awaited July statistics are finally available on the statistics page. There are 1,435 new GEOCAC recovery reports, so the backlog looks like it has cleared.

Very cool, good job getting them! :D

As an aside - under the column "Geocaching Total (Rank)", you're including ALL reports there, not just "Founds" - including notes, yes? Are you doing the same for the NGS side of things?

Me.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

The long-awaited July statistics are finally available on the statistics page. There are 1,435 new GEOCAC recovery reports, so the backlog looks like it has cleared.

The maps have also been updated.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

We logged recoveries with NGS that we back dated to May & June. We see that your updates haven't caught those. I'm guessing they won't ever be included in your data. In order for them to be included do we need to log the recovery dates in the current month? Or do you also get the new data for previous months?

Jo Ann

As an aside - under the column "Geocaching Total (Rank)", you're including ALL reports there, not just "Founds" - including notes, yes? Are you doing the same for the NGS side of things?

Me.

If I am not mistaken, ALL log types for either site are tallied in their respective columns.

This is why I prefer not to post notes for benchmarks. Even if multiple (oh what is the PC term here?) less-than-astute cachers have been logging a destroyed mark, or a find for the wrong disk. They will likely not care, and I would be artificially inflating my totals.

But, if you wanted to artificially inflate your totals...no, I didn't think anyone would.

The maps have also been updated.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

We logged recoveries with NGS that we back dated to May & June. We see that your updates haven't caught those. I'm guessing they won't ever be included in your data. In order for them to be included do we need to log the recovery dates in the current month? Or do you also get the new data for previous months?

Jo Ann

Fear not.

Jim (holograph) will not rest until all your recoveries have been properly added to your 'score'.

You can run, and you can backdate, but you cannot hide.

It could be that the NGS has not caught your backdated recoveries.

Jo Ann

The first question is whether they appear when you go to the NGS page and retrieve the datasheets.

If your reports do not appear in the online datasheets, then they haven't been updated by the NGS yet, and they will eventually appear in the statistics when the datasheets are updated.

If your reports do appear in the online datasheets, then they may have somehow slipped through the capture process and we'll have to figure out how to get them.

Me.

Yes, all reports to the NGS are counted, with the exception of "destroyed" reports that cause a datasheet to no longer be published. If a datasheet is not published, its recovery reports are not counted.

Hi, Holograph:

Thanks for all the effort it took to pull the July recoveries. It's always great to see the numbers inching up!

On the Geocaching rank, several of us got "demoted" to last place. [Grin.] There is a "zero" for my geocaching total. Ditto for Lost02, ArtMan, NorthWes, and several others. I thought I'd mention it so you could look for a glitch.

-Paul-

Great to see the new maps!! I'm glad that the NGS finally updated their datasheets and that you were able to retrieve the numbers. Looks as though all of my recoveries from May and June are in there besides the ones for July. Thanks again for all of your work on this.

On the Geocaching rank, several of us got "demoted" to last place. [Grin.] There is a "zero" for my geocaching total. Ditto for Lost02, ArtMan, NorthWes, and several others. I thought I'd mention it so you could look for a glitch.

The Geocaching statistics have been corrected.

Hey, Poppa Bear NYC. Working together and independently, we colored Washington County, Maine red!

And, if my brother and sister are going to drag me off to the wilds of Maine, I will hunt for benchmarks in Kennebec and Aroostook. Maine is all colored in! :huh: I think I did Sullivan County, NY all on my own (and I never have to go over the Hawks Nest again!) (Never give the dolphin crayons to play with!)