TB's that moves

Louise_Gerhard

The world of TBs is changing. Now you get a T-shirts and a TB for the vehicle. The T-Shirt is a new one to me. I can’t help it, but I visually see a picture of a girl walking down the street with her bug and number on it – a guy walks up to her and asks if he can retrieve the bug. Ok, please hang onto your T-Shirt. :) However, we are more interested in the decal for the vehicle.

My wife thinks it is absolutely crazy. We live in a small town with no cachers around. What is the chance of anyone noticing the bug on my vehicle and still have the time to write down the number to log a discovery? According to her I should have a better chance for a bumper bashing in Gauteng. Maybe this is where the exclusivity comes in. A hard one to find, except if I visit an event and if the cacher recognized it as a travelling bug. However, I am busy getting 3 for my vehicles.

To me it is more than a bug, but a caching symbol. I personally think it is better than the GPS or GEO sign. For the non cacher it should be a weird sign and I belief that some people will question me about it. Maybe we can educate some muggles.

On the other hand it is easy to identify the cacher. You only need to look at the number, a quick search on the internet with your cell and you know the name of the cacher. Please walk slowly if you see my vehicle parked near a FTF cache. :)

I would like to hear the comments about this TB decal on your vehicle; I would leave the t-shirt alone. Am I crazy to stuck it on my vehicle – ok strike one to wife. Or is this the way to go.

Opinions will be appreciated.

Gerhard

Vehicle decals

I was at the uk mega event this last weekend and had pages of tracking numbers id writtend down off cars, dogs and t shirts! even badges. It was really fun! I think the fun of being somewhere theres not alot of cachers is if someone does spot it and log it you will get a lovely suprise :( I'm going to make my car into a tb when I get around to it. I have to say though it added alot of logging to do after the weekend :/ :(

K

Edited by Geo.Kitten

I was at the uk mega event this last weekend and had pages of tracking numbers id writtend down off cars, dogs and t shirts! even badges. It was really fun! I think the fun of being somewhere theres not alot of cachers is if someone does spot it and log it you will get a lovely suprise :( I'm going to make my car into a tb when I get around to it. I have to say though it added alot of logging to do after the weekend :/ :(

K

I would love to put one on my dog. Anyone know where I can get ones for dogs?

There was a hidden message – I think most cachers missed this one. I deliberately placed the link to see if cachers react to what they see. Sorry for the test. :(

If you click on the link in my first message it will take you to a website. The number is clearly visible. According to the rules you have discovered it and you can now log a find on this TB. So easy to miss a TB. Poor guy, the whole of South Africa is now going to log this TB.

I am waiting for a answer from our shop in South Africa –we will buy three. Thanks for the reply.

Test summary:It appears as if out of 98 views only Jors logged it. (1%) :(

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Anlufu, sounds like there is an option open. Maybe geo_kitten have a contact in the UK for a TB for a dog. Maybe I should get one as well.

Ok, next time you see me wrapped up in bandages – do not worry, it is not the fault of the cacher I only retrieved the TB number from Anlufu’s dog – the friendly one. :(:(

But you have a point. If the TB is on the dog and www.geocaching.com is on the tag as well then someone should be able to figure out how to find the owner. I never thought about this one. I see light in the tunnel. If your dog becomes separate from the owner then the chance of recovery is greater. After all it is easy to publish the number – it is a positive identification. The chip implant should then verify it as well. Nice idea Analufu.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I would love to put one on my dog. Anyone know where I can get ones for dogs?

Where have you guys been, have you not checked out Willow the cacher dog standard TB on her collar and she is away! And we also have our phone number on another tag. Added to the fact that she come when called, stays when told - very usefull when reteaving caches on the sides of cliffs etc. - it took lots of training but it is worth it!

So get you dog a TB and stop just talking about it.

Thanks Rhino and Hedgehog. We are a bit out of the way here. I'm just wondering how much one small dog can carry around his neck - he already has a tag with his name and my phone number, and a tag to say he is microchipped (that was done when I took him to Belgium for the Agility World Championships - small brag). Well, now he's going to have a TB tag too. Watch out Gerhard - you'd better get those bandages out!!Wizki-WPRT2008prizes.jpg

I ordered one of the vehicle TB stickers and it arrived end of last week. :)

I think it is really cool!!! It will probably take a while for cachers to notice it in actual traffic, but I think it will be nice when discovered at events and other gatherings.

I personally think it is better than the GPS or GEO sign. For the non cacher it should be a weird sign and I belief that some people will question me about it.
..agreed.

I can now remove my geo-sticker and rather have the TB sticker...

Just hope no-one ever grabs my TB!..... :lol:

I will register it soon!

At last a way to get the famous Corsa 4x4 on the map.... at least at events that is..... I was thinking of putting Groundspeak vinyls on. Huge logo on the bonnet and on the side doors... but imagine the cost... eish.... and that is just free advertising.... Sponsors anyone? So the mail was sent and soon enough I hope to have my car tracked. I think it would be cool if everyone who logs a discovery on it could say where the car was discovered and put in the co-ordinates on the log. That way it would be interesting to see where it was seen.

Ya - er - okay, But Wizki travels in a Hummer!!

Wazat, what ever happened to the sticker I sent you?

In my rear window.... Emailed you some time back to say I got it...Wonder if the mail didn't go through. If not sorry but thanks a lot.... When you coming to tour Newcastle?

as far as I know most people just put a tb tag on their dogs collar.. I discovered a few geo dogs at the uk mega event :) some of them even have little 'business cards' - and it has the tracking number on it. One of the best geo dogs I've met is Sir Chester

Edited to add Sir chester logs his own caches too :)

Edited by Geo.Kitten

Yebo, I received my window decal today. I do not want to blow my own horn but it does look very cool. ;) I stuck it onto the black part of the window and it should be easy to spot this one.

A lot of people are going to be curious about this little bug and what it stands for. I included a photo – I had to remove some of the numbers of the actual tracking code. Sorry. :cry:

Thanks to Quintus in getting this to me. I appreciate this a lot.

Gerhard

970b0460-a094-4312-8b90-1460abaa8b02.jpg

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I parked it on Saturday at Game and when I came back a group of young men were standing around the vehicle. They were very curious to know what this sign and number indicates. Before I answered them I asked them what do they think it stands for; the answers was…

• You are a game rancher.

• You belong to some unknown organization or group - maybe a right wing organization.

;) You are some sort of law enforcing agent, the one guy asked if we are replacing the scorpions.

Anything strange in this small town is quickly noticed. It took a while to explain the concepts to them. Maybe it is easier to do a brochure and keep a couple of copies for distribution.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I spent all morning dropping and retrieving my car TB into all the caches I've found so far - 363 caches since July last year.

I was amazed that it has clocked up nearly 21,000kms! And that is measured as straight lines between caches - it must be even more if it was measured along the actual routes!

No wonder I'm so poor these days...

Must have been a lot more. And don't forget that sometimes you end up driving on the wrong roads.... backtracking and then going in circles looking for caches only to find it is a DNF... then return a few times till you find it.... 21 000 km doesn't seem as much. My personal TB has clocked up some 17182 km since I started caching. But this includes returns to old caches for maintenance and revisits. The interesting bit is that my car on the other hand has clocked up some 100 000 + kilos in that time not all caching though but I do incorporate it in at times. Maybe not as much as I used to but still doing a quick maintenance run or bug drop and search in the area if I have time. It would be interesting to see how many kilo's we do dedicate to caching. Must be really high. I would love to see what the mileage will be in say another year of caching... especially now that all un-found caches are getting to be over 100km and more away from me.... mmmm

I spent all morning dropping and retrieving my car TB into all the caches I've found so far - 363 caches since July last year.

I was amazed that it has clocked up nearly 21,000kms! And that is measured as straight lines between caches - it must be even more if it was measured along the actual routes!

No wonder I'm so poor these days...

yeah and you filled up my inbox with all those logs of yours :rolleyes:

Do I get a beer for identifying the ccahe location? King Arthur's Abode about 10 km from Rustenburg on the Krugersdorp road! :laughing:

Hey cincol, Yip, tis your area, you should know it well. :D

Drop me a pm when you in Centurion area.

Pitty, I missed the Rustenburg event :) , was there the week prior. I want to organize a PTA/JHB event. Still thinking where.

FTD on bug-mobile still up for grabs. :)

Looks good – from now on we will have to keep the eyes on the vehicle in front of us.

It does make sense to add this to a vehicle. The symbol can not be confused with anything else. I would recommend this TB to all cachers. It is so cool, better than a T shirt. Did anyone receive strange remarks or comments from the guys/girls at work or at the shopping centres?

Just recently I was looking for a cache from Gigabyte on a bridge when a guy stopped a distance from me in a white bakkie. I had no idea what he was up to and afterwards I read that he was watching someone at this very bridge. He was watching me and I was watching him – the GPS was not in my hand, only a camera and he could not determine if a muggle or a cacher was running around the bridge. So he stayed in his vehicle. I would have love to meet this cacher – never met him before.

If he had this symbol on his vehicle he could have shown it to me as a warning that he is a cacher. Easy does it, turn the vehicle around with the TB facing me and I would have joined him in this search. Easy to see why this guy is parked near the bridge with this TB. At the end of the day we were both watching each other and there is no way that one of us could see that the other one is a cacher. I even tried to see if there is a GPS on the window but there was nothing. Maybe the two of us could have found it together. Now we both have to claim a DNF. :)

I had an incident at the Roodeplaat dam in Pretoria North. I was travelling down the dirt road when I noticed two bakkies coming towards me. I stopped and they stopped. I stopped first and there is enough place for them to pass. We then both waited for each other. At the end I decided to go forward and then the guy gave me the finger. ;) @#!& ;)

I recognized his face and name and yes he is a cacher with some finds. Yes, he signed his name in the logbook as a visitor before me. I hope you read this – next time I will stop and break your finger up to your kneecap. But I will first check the back of your vehicle for this TB, if I am sure you are a cacher I will get back in the car and just drive on. Not fun to have problems with a fellow cacher. We will see each other somewhere at a cache or an event again. Or else please check the back of my vehicle before you give me the finger. Much easier and much less pain. Maybe this TB will stop this nonsense. :P

Thanks

Gerhard