What's left in your radius?

Seems nearest unfound caches seem to be the multis, puzzles or paddle caches. But you know what, I don't mind. With the price of gas lately, our caching has returned to what first attracted us to geocaching in 2002. The adventure. So no chasing micros for a while for us.

We've decided to kick it up a notch and work on puzzles, higher terrain / difficulty "Well Rounded Cacher / Fizzy Challenge" type stuff and Delorme grids while in the process.

The find frequency will be more spread out but I'm sure they'll be more memorable & meaningful.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

Edited by wandering4cache

Yep. I came to that conclusion a while ago :) I'd much rather find 1 or 2 memorable caches than 100 park-n-grabs. Therefore I've let quite a few unfound 1/1 to 1.5/1.5 micros build up really close to my home. I might get in the mood to clean them out some day.

Depending on which state you're going for, the DeLorme and County challenges can use up an impressive amount of gas. Since you're in the new england area, though, you've got it easy. You could grab 3 states (DeLorme AND County) before someone in the south-west made it out of their home county.

Seems nearest unfound caches seem to be the multis, puzzles or paddle caches. But you know what, I don't mind. With the price of gas lately, our caching has returned to what first attracted us to geocaching in 2002. The adventure. So no chasing micros for a while for us.

We've decided to kick it up a notch and work on puzzles, higher terrain / difficulty "Well Rounded Cacher / Fizzy Challenge" type stuff and Delorme grids while in the process.

The find frequency will be more spread out but I'm sure they'll be more memorable & meaningful.

I still pursue the close ones when I'm out running errands but I really enjoy getting together with the other half of Team Parabuteo, who lives 90 miles away from me, and finding a bunch of caches in a regional park where there is a good day of hiking to go along with the caches. We recently went to Rockville park in Fairfield, Ca and had a great day of hiking and caching and still have a couple of caches to go back for. Bodega Bay was also a fun day with some caches still to go back for.

Seems nearest unfound caches seem to be the multis, puzzles or paddle caches.
We'd like to see those kind of options but most of the local multis, puzzle and paddle caches are mine. In our local unfound radius we have several caches that I placed for people so won't claim finds on and dozens upon dozens of bus stop caches that don't really grab our attention but cover the radar screen.... ::sigh:: Some new preserves have popped up recently and caches have popped up in them but we haven't gotten them yet (tried yesterday but our typical Florida thunderstorms won that round, too).

Well there is still 1000's within 25 miles radius of me but many are P&G which I do not go for and as far a Delorme I will not even start that as there are many parts of Texas I have not been to in the 30 years I have lived here and I do not like puzzles because I can be doing fine on the first stage or two then do something wrong and spend a lot of time going down the wrong trail or get to a spot that I have no idea how to solve the puzzle higher terrain/difficulty is fine with me until last week in AZ the description said do not do in running shoes only hard boots because there are rattlesnakes there so I just looked at the area and moved on with out even trying to find the cache.

Well there is still 1000's within 25 miles radius of me but many are P&G which I do not go for and as far a Delorme I will not even start that as there are many parts of Texas I have not been to in the 30 years I have lived here and I do not like puzzles because I can be doing fine on the first stage or two then do something wrong and spend a lot of time going down the wrong trail or get to a spot that I have no idea how to solve the puzzle higher terrain/difficulty is fine with me until last week in AZ the description said do not do in running shoes only hard boots because there are rattlesnakes there so I just looked at the area and moved on with out even trying to find the cache.

I would have read that but the total lack of punctuation was making me blind. :):)

I would have read that but the total lack of punctuation was making me blind. :):)

Not a TOTAL lack of punctuation. They used a period at the end! grins

Not a TOTAL lack of punctuation. They used a period at the end! grins
Looks like proper punctuation to me. Capitol letter at the front, period at the end; yup, good to go. Now if you want to talk about grammar and run-on sentence structures, well, you go have lots of fun with that sentence. ;)

Ok, fine, back on topic. :)

I wish I had the OP's problem... I found most of the good puzzle, letterbox, and multi-caches in my area long ago. Even the ones I haven't found are stored in my "Solved Puzzles" bookmark list, just waiting on the perfect day to go on that 5-mile hike or waiting on dryer weather to drive up that 4x4 only road in my 2x4 pickup.

Although, a LB hybrid and a puzzle were recently published within blocks of where I work... so why am I still browsing the forums????

My 25km radius is still pretty full. Lots of each kind to choose from with a short drive. My local city/area is getting a little cleaned out though.

I've got one cemetery micro that I am just waiting for the right day to search for. There is a handful of multi's left. I found my first multi this summer and have been slowly picking them off since. I've got the local Earthcache, though another on has popped up nearby recently.

A lot of the mystery caches in this area seem pretty driving intensive... 'find two mystery locations, then taking a bearing from each to find an intersection point' sort of thing. So I tend to skip those, but I have started working on mystery cache that I hope to search for soon!

Ok, fine, back on topic. :(

I wish I had the OP's problem... I found most of the good puzzle, letterbox, and multi-caches in my area long ago. Even the ones I haven't found are stored in my "Solved Puzzles" bookmark list, just waiting on the perfect day to go on that 5-mile hike or waiting on dryer weather to drive up that 4x4 only road in my 2x4 pickup.

Although, a LB hybrid and a puzzle were recently published within blocks of where I work... so why am I still browsing the forums????

I'm curious what the radius is in the OPs case. I've mixed my search areas such that some days I'll try to get the caches closest to home (regardless of type) and on others trips to areas further away where I can go after larger clusters. Right now I have everything found up to 9.1 miles but I've also been picking off a lot of the caches between 10-15 miles from home so I've only got 7 unfound caches under the 15 mile radius. All but one of those (an earthcache) is a traditional and two of them are found very infrequently.

there are 92 caches in the county/island of hawaii...... i have found 81 of them

there are a couple that i can pick up on the otherside of the island 200mile RT the rest are expedetion type caches.... that i will get to eventually......tomorrow i am off to oregon for a week......i will pick up a few while i am there

Radius . . . what radius? Fortunately, I've never been a "radius slave." :(

The only radius I'm currently enslaved with is the entire state. Over 13,000 caches left to find. :(

I gotta ask, what took the rest of you so long to catch on? :(

It took just a little over a year for me to decide what kind of game to chase. I never looked back at doing anything else.

Radius, we don't need no steenkin radius. :(

I've always cached what I'm in the mood for wherever I feel like going at the time.

But in the past year I have noticed that my nearest unfound 500 used to go out almost 25 miles and barely reaches 16 now. :(

So certain cache rich areas that I get to 2-4x a year that used to always get pulled with my normal homebase PQ now require a unique one of their own. I also have to exclude any terrain above 4 to keep those pesky paddle caches from cluttering up my local database. We've got over 100 of them around here now.

Edited by wimseyguy