possiable dangerous TB

mat.knott

Im after a little advice here. I grabed a tb of my brother and now need to place it back out in the field however im a little concerned as to how safe the tb is.

The tb in question is TBQ55K and it has got a arrow attached to it. My concern is that if kids find the cache it could become a potential dangerions weapon.

any advice on this is welcome. Ill hold on to it for now while i work out what to do with it.

<Tracking number removed by moderator, TB reference number inserted.>

Edited by Eartha

A. Never post the tracking number online, use the reference number located on the upper left of the bug page.

B. That number pulls up a thermomater (sic) bug. Is there a thermometer?

C. Please describe what you mean by arrow. A 2 foot archery type arrow? A three-sided razor sharp point on a crossbow bolt?

Someone added that to the TB at some point along the way in 2006, when the original thermometer battery died. If no one has been killed by it yet, I'd say it's relatively safe. Is there any blood on it? :)

Perhaps you could email and ask the owner if they want that attached or not. It's not an original part of the TB. Or dull the tip of it before placing it again. Does the arrow have a thermometer in it? The person that attached it said they were adding a thermometer. So that's why I ask that. The object of that TB is to take the temperature at caches.

thanks for your replys,

yes the thermometer is still attached and working ok.

I cant see how you can say its no more dangerous then a tree branch, after all it is a arrow with a sharp point to it.

i am still rather new to geocaching and i thought you was not to put anything in a cache that if found by a child could be harmfull? surely a arrow could be harmfull especialy if a child found it and then went running with it to there pairent, triped and landed on it.

im happy to put it back out there im just after peoples oppinions as i feel this tb goes agenst one of the rules of geocaching

thanks for your replys,

yes the thermometer is still attached and working ok.

I cant see how you can say its no more dangerous then a tree branch, after all it is a arrow with a sharp point to it.

i am still rather new to geocaching and i thought you was not to put anything in a cache that if found by a child could be harmfull? surely a arrow could be harmfull especialy if a child found it and then went running with it to there pairent, triped and landed on it.

im happy to put it back out there im just after peoples oppinions as i feel this tb goes agenst one of the rules of geocaching

So, if the original thermometer is working fine, I would email the owner and ask them if they want the arrow removed, since it is not an original part of the TB. Still wondering if the arrow has a thermometer in it, since the person who attached it said they were adding a thermometer, and it doesn't look at all like a thermometer in the photo. No one should be attaching anything to someone else's TB without their permission.

Side note: Parents should be parenting their children when geocaching, and should not be letting them dive into a cache without checking it first. It's amazing how some of us survived our childhood without all this childproofing going on, but if they are concerned, it's up to them to protect their children from the dangers of cache contents. This shouldn't become a game of "Only soft squishy round balls that are too big to fit in a child's mouth in caches". We have guidelines, and people should be using common sense.

That's safe, in my opinion. Read the wise words from Eartha. :-)

As for dangerous TB, we had this one. We caught in Portugal and took it to Paris, France.

We met a geocacher from the USA while going after a cache in the center of Paris. Since the goal of the TB was to go from cache to cache we suggested to her to take it to the US. When she read "radioactive..." we noticed the scared look of her face. Hilarious! :(

And yes, the TB is safe. No danger of radioactive contamination. Of course, that since then, our electric bill went down. Now, there is no need to light the room to have dinner. Everyone glows in the dark. :(

Obviously you haven't met the same tree branches I've met. :lol: They get cranky when they're old and broken and they'll try to stick you in the eye.

I know that one! I was standing still when it attacked my eye! Eye was bloodshot for two weeks!

But it wasn't a TB.

Lessee... There's still a bowling ball out there. That's dangerous. I discovered an SUV TB once. It was doing 35 MPH. Glad I didn't try to grab it...

I've moved a fishing lure TB, and a dart TB. Dart wasn't too sharp. Fishing lure was.

Arrow looks like you'd have to try hard to hurt yourself with that one. No running with TBs?

Yes. Common sense should be used, but we know how uncommon that is.

If you are realy that horribly concerned, do one of two things, 1 take it to a grinder and grind down the tip, or two the tip is simply screwed in, un screw it. in my personal opinion its no big deal pencils can be easily sharper than that arrow tip. someone is more likely to get poison oak caching than to get hurt by that vicious lil travel bug :laughing: