Geocaching with sand in the mouth?

I think he's referring to three of your five posts are topics that say the same thing...

A NNY Event Aug 31st, 2008

Please Help support our troops in iraq, they are cachers too!

Geocaching with sand in the mouth?

Being that you are new here I wouldn't call it spamming, but would suggest that one thread per topic will be better accepted.

Thanks for your service, glad that you are home, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you to the Alabama Rambler for being more helpful, informative and polite than I was. If it's any excuse, I hadn't had any coffee yet.

As TAR said, thank you for your service!

Additional information would be that you can go to one of the threads you've already started and "bump" them - posting to them again will bring them up to the top of the forum list on the first page, drawing attention to them.

My apologies for being rather short with my first post.

Having been over there 3 times, if you are caching, ya might want to ask your commander if you can go home, or find some way to help your unit get more done, because you have too much time on your hands and are probably becoming very fobbitish.

/just sayin

//didnt have time to cache in Iraq

Having been over there 3 times, if you are caching, ya might want to ask your commander if you can go home, or find some way to help your unit get more done, because you have too much time on your hands and are probably becoming very fobbitish.

/just sayin

You didn't manage to get an hour off, even once, during 3 tours? sounds like someone draws the short straw a lot...

I do have a military caching confession to make.... I was doing some training with some FN military, showing them how to work a UAV mission, and for lack of a predetermined training mission, I just went ahead and planned the whole mission to check out the area around the one cache that was so close yet so far away for days and days... They got good practice, and I got an early look at GZ. It was a super busy trip, but when I did get that precious little time off, I already knew how to get there.

Have another extended stay comming up somewhere else, and it doesnt look like there are any caches there, so the many cachers in the unit have decided that we'll just have to have an event! or possibly place caches for eachother since our trip is long enough to meet the permenance guidline, and still have time to remove them before we leave so as to not leave geo-litter.

My son is over there right now at Balad AFB and he is working 12 on and 12 off and after a month of that they started giving him one day a week off which he is using at the hospital and working but he still has managed time to find 20 and hide 2 caches. If you are on the base and want a 4/3.5 check out GC1E8NP and get a FTF.

/just sayin

You didn't manage to get an hour off, even once, during 3 tours? sounds like someone draws the short straw a lot...

I do have a military caching confession to make.... I was doing some training with some FN military, showing them how to work a UAV mission, and for lack of a predetermined training mission, I just went ahead and planned the whole mission to check out the area around the one cache that was so close yet so far away for days and days... They got good practice, and I got an early look at GZ. It was a super busy trip, but when I did get that precious little time off, I already knew how to get there.

Have another extended stay comming up somewhere else, and it doesnt look like there are any caches there, so the many cachers in the unit have decided that we'll just have to have an event! or possibly place caches for eachother since our trip is long enough to meet the permenance guidline, and still have time to remove them before we leave so as to not leave geo-litter.

Yeah or I worked 18's to keep my detachment running. I think caching in Iraq is a clear violation of the rules, and breeds complacency. Don't get me wrong, I love the sport, but I don't think it has a place in Iraq much less a military base.

/just sayin

Sure, he can ask his Commander, but I only wish I had the authority to send someone home early!!! That took a O-6's approval. I was his CO while we were in Iraq. I was the one who started at least 5 other guys in our company caching. TheLoneSapper was a driver on my PSD team - so becoming a "Fobbit" wasn't even a close description of what we did over there. But, we did have days where we didn't have a mission, so we were able to find some caches.

I don't want to argue whether or not caches placed on military bases in Iraq are "against the rules" but it did provide a nice relief to all the other stresses, and brought together a bunch of people in friendly competition to make the most out of a tough situation. I didn't get involved in the forums before for this exact reason - I didn't want to ruin the fun of geocaching by arguing over the rules and other issues. So what if some guys found the time to go caching? Most of the time we stayed up late, borrowed a truck when we could, or found a few caches while stuck at some remote base while overnighting on a long haul drive or flight. It was fun, and got me back into geocaching after a long absence. Iraq provided some amazing cache opportunities, and I sincerely hope that Soldiers there continue to be able to place caches as long as there is a coalition presence there.

/just sayin

Sure, he can ask his Commander, but I only wish I had the authority to send someone home early!!! That took a O-6's approval. I was his CO while we were in Iraq. I was the one who started at least 5 other guys in our company caching. TheLoneSapper was a driver on my PSD team - so becoming a "Fobbit" wasn't even a close description of what we did over there. But, we did have days where we didn't have a mission, so we were able to find some caches.

I don't want to argue whether or not caches placed on military bases in Iraq are "against the rules" but it did provide a nice relief to all the other stresses, and brought together a bunch of people in friendly competition to make the most out of a tough situation. I didn't get involved in the forums before for this exact reason - I didn't want to ruin the fun of geocaching by arguing over the rules and other issues. So what if some guys found the time to go caching? Most of the time we stayed up late, borrowed a truck when we could, or found a few caches while stuck at some remote base while overnighting on a long haul drive or flight. It was fun, and got me back into geocaching after a long absence. Iraq provided some amazing cache opportunities, and I sincerely hope that Soldiers there continue to be able to place caches as long as there is a coalition presence there.

I can see plenty of reasons NOT to have it over there.

1) Coordinates are broadcasted to the world

2) Not uncommon are unauthorized entry into posts

3) Who is to say #2 doesnt lead to something harmful being planted because

4) Geocaching.com is available to the world

5) OPSEC. Nice pictures of you on Post there LT

6) On par with blogging? Did you, or the placers of geocaches get post Commander approval?

7) Clear violation of the rules, unless you have a memorandum from CENTCOM claiming the opposite to be true.

/just sayin

6) On par with blogging? Did you, or the placers of geocaches get post Commander approval?

7) Clear violation of the rules, unless you have a memorandum from CENTCOM claiming the opposite to be true.

Just my two cents as I am over here in Afghanistan, and have found a few. Didnt get a chance in Iraq during OIF 1 due to not being into caching yet and I doubt any were placed until later in my tour in Balad.

1) Google Earth shows coords AND picts of areas in Iraq, Korea, Afghanistan, and your house.

2) I seriously doubt geocachers are breaking into posts and/or FOBs to place and/or find a cache (not saying some wouldnt, I just dont think they are, jail and getting shot is a good motivator not to).

3) Here in Afghanistan we have over 300 LN's on post at any given moment, never seen one with a GPS, havent heard of one planting and IED on post either(not saying it hasnt happened, just never heard of one with the cajones to do it)

4) Geocaching is available to the world, so what is to stop the terrorist from coming to your house?

5) I havent seen the pictures you speak of, but CNN shows pictures of militray bases across the world every day

6) As far as approval, nope, never gotten it, but the areas where the caches I have found are either in the open (i.e lone tree), or are made aware to the people who work/live near it. Been more than once I have been laughed at by an Army or AF guy asking, lol, you find it yet?

7) Clear violation of the rules as far as being on a military installation, yes, but I believe exceptions are made to allow service members to have just a smidgen of fun while deployed. Big Boy rules apply, and the risks to the safety of the Men and Women over here and there is minimal. Or else GC.com wouldnt let us do it.

8) one question I have is would you rather a) not let geocaches be placed in Combat zones :rolleyes: only allow geocaches on the economy or c) let the 200 caches in all of the Middle east stay and let the service members enjoy a break and do something they like if they get a few moments to themselves.

Not trying to sharpshoot maliciously, just showing the other side of the coin.

/just sayin

Wow - I was going to ignore this thread until your last post here.

I, too, just finished my third tour in Iraq. Welcome home to you AND to StarWolve (small world, huh dude?) who attended one of my meet-n-greets there. I've gotta tell you that from where I'm sitting it sounds like you haven't really even looked into the caching situation over there much at all. Please allow me to reply to your list of concerns.

1) Moot point. Anyone with access to the internet can get the same coordinates from plenty of OTHER sources. Heck, you don't suppose THEIR military ever had any maps of the place that might have coordinates on them, do you? I'll bet we didn't collect all THOSE up when we got into town.

2) I believe you are looking at this point backwards. Bad guys who get unauthorized entry don't NEED coordinates. They are doing their own recon and measurements. Once they have the coordinates, the assumption is that they are using them for targeting of rockets from a distance. They aren't going to carry a mortar in, are they?

3) and 4). Wow. Of all the bad things a bad guy might do to harm us, I have a difficult time imagining that they would sabotage a geocache. Kinda... specific, don't you think? Especially knowing that only a couple of people would ever be around one at any given time? There have been almost 300 caches placed on bases in Iraq since 2003, and I have yet to hear of a single incident involving bad guys messing with them.

5) Finally - a valid concern. As an MI officer, I am definitely attentive to this. It would extremely bad to hide a cache beside the embassy and post on the cache page that "this is right next to the back door of the embassy." Definitely a rocket magnet then. But of the nearly 50 caches that I either hid or found in Iraq this past year, none had a "here's the coordinates to a big important building" message in them. Just to keep from being spotted and shot by friendlies, the caches in Iraq are mostly in out of the way places. The ones that ARE in public areas don't tell the purpose of the building or identify the units occupying the area. As long as we are watching out for each other and keeping OPSEC in mind when posting cache descriptions or pictures, the worst that might happen is somebody's tree stump gets blown up.

(And while I appreciate the attempt at humor, I was one of those LTs posting pictures of myself at caches, and I assure you I violated no OPSEC. In fact, this LT - now a CPT - has more miles driving HMMWVs on the streets and highways of Iraq than probably any non-MP in the army, so I am a bit touchy about the "dumb lieutenant jokes")

6) Ummm...who said this was on par with blogging? Although permission from the mayor (there is no "post commander") is not required, I for one discussed caching with the Camp Victory mayor before placing my first cache there. As long as caches aren't placed in sensitive areas and OPSEC is maintained, he had no problems with it. Again, police yourself and watch your buddy's back and these won't BE issues. Military cachers are more responsible and aware of consequenses than their civilian counterparts, I assure you.

7) What "rules" are we talking about here? By and large, people who start telling me that it's against "the rules" can't ever produce one of these "rules" for me to consider. The next words I hear from them are invariably "well, they told me..." By all means, if you can show me the "rule" that says I can't cache in Baghdad I promise you I will remove my caches as soon as I get there for round 4.

And lastly, are you seriously telling me that you worked 18 hours every day for a year over there? If so, I truly hate it for you. I can tell you have serious disdain for fobbits, but let's face it. The nature of the military is such that for every grunt going out the gate, there are 10 fobbits staying behind to support him. And while I acknowledge that they get more time off than others, they are still doing everything asked of them and dodging mortars while doing it. You should be thankful that they are out there keeping your pay straight and making sure your letters are getting home to mom. And when they get a little time off, I hope they enjoy the heck out of finding my Saddams' Love Boat" cache or any of the 50 others on that post.

"This concludes my brief. What are your questions?" :rolleyes:

well said EJ and rickandjen.

thanks for everything you do to protect us back home. it's appreciated more than you could know.

What the great pink one said! :) And yes dude, we'll go cache! I have to clear out Clarksville eventually and you'd make a good tour guide.

watch out for chiggers. i hear they're really bad this year and i see post after post mentioning them. :rolleyes:

well said EJ and rickandjen.

thanks for everything you do to protect us back home. it's appreciated more than you could know.

What the great pink one said! :) And yes dude, we'll go cache! I have to clear out Clarksville eventually and you'd make a good tour guide.

watch out for chiggers. i hear they're really bad this year and i see post after post mentioning them. :)

Rick just needs to remember to wear the shoes that include the left and right foot when caching in LBL, he doesn't need to worry about chiggers. I'm the one that should worry about the chiggers. :rolleyes:

(And while I appreciate the attempt at humor, I was one of those LTs posting pictures of myself at caches, and I assure you I violated no OPSEC. In fact, this LT - now a CPT - has more miles driving HMMWVs on the streets and highways of Iraq than probably any non-MP in the army, so I am a bit touchy about the "dumb lieutenant jokes")

Thanks Jay - I have tried to avoid the forums a little because I really hate flame wars, (not that this post is, but they tend to degenerate into them without warning) and you addressed those points quite well. I really enjoy geocaching, and I don't want a flame war to ruin the fun. There are some debates as to caching on military bases, and I've run into it in the states when I tried to post a cache at our demobilization site... but I hope that there continues to be geocaching opportunites if I'm deployed back to the Sandbox in the near future.

Congrats on the promotion, I'm hoping that mine isn't too far off either. I know what you mean about the "Dumb LT" jokes, I went ballistic on a CPT who pulled that crap on me (I was HIS commander, whether he outranked me or not) while I was in Iraq, I think that was the one time I really lost my temper over there. I was prior enlisted, had 2 MOS's under my belt, and a ton of other schools before I was commissioned... so the "Dumb LT" stuff really gets me pissed in a hurry... especially when I've logged more miles in a 1151 or 1244 than most enlisted Soldiers in my Battalion. BTW - I still have my EJ geocoin, I'm going to move a few of my coins on very soon, but I think that one is still one of the nicest coins I've seen and will remain in my personal collection for a while!