How far is your closest unfound cache?

CCrew

With gas prices averaging $4.00 a gallon still here in the US, just wondering how far others are traveling to get to their closest unfound caches. 24.42 miles here. Basically my closest unfound is almost 1/2 hour of driving away. If it is far, have gas prices dented your caching trips?

-Roger

My closest unfound cache tis 0.8 miles away. Mainly 'cause I only started caching a few weeks ago, and that and the next closest cache tis in a park that tis only open during the day. I prefer caching at night. I'm waiting for cooler weather to do much caching during the day. The next closest after those two tis a puzzle cache that I can't figure out.

Gas prices have fluctuated over the last few weeks around here. I've seen as low as $3.53 a gallon, and as high as $3.99+ a gallon. Gas prices will start dictating how much caching I can do soon, I'm sure. I do not work, so money tis tight.

With gas prices averaging $4.00 a gallon still here in the US, just wondering how far others are traveling to get to their closest unfound caches. 24.42 miles here. Basically my closest unfound is almost 1/2 hour of driving away. If it is far, have gas prices dented your caching trips?

-Roger

The top three on my unfound list are at 9.1 miles, 11.8 miles, and 13.4 miles. I've been trying to keep my 10 miles and under list clear since I cleared it a couple of months ago but a few pop up everyonce in awhile. I did some caching yesterday and the closest to home was 18.2 miles. I did get a nice cluster of 6 caches that were all 50 cal ammo cans hidden in a large park 28 miles away. I was hoping to set things up so that I could go after a boat accessible only cache (about an 8 mile paddle round trip) that hasn't been found in 3 years for my 500th find. However, I DNFd on a couple of caches early (one I could not find, the other had been removed by the landowner) that didn't give me any room for error on the remaining caches I need to find to put me at 499. Because I hadn't read the listings carefully enough on two of them I didn't know until I got within a couple of miles of them that the road on the map was gated and it would have been a 4 mile r/t hike to get to them and I would have had to drive another 20 miles r/t to get a couple of other caches and get to the launch spot for the boater cache. I ended up finishing the day on 498 finds and may head back to the boater cache next weekend.

2.9 miles to the nearest unfound, 532 unfound within 50 miles.

Guesstimated average of 8 new caches published per day within 50 miles.

Gas prices are certainly one factor in my caching slump, but really it's prices of everything... a trip to the grocery store yesterday that didn't even fill my back seat literally cost more than several of the cars I have owned!!

4.7 miles, but it's a lame micro, so it will stay unfound. On the other hand, I just got back a couple of hours ago from a nice hike/cache walk in Nrewport News, VA, about 250 drive miles from home. The caches I found there were a heckuva lot more fun than finding that lame micro will ever be. I've gotten to the point that I don't do caches that are not interesting or lack redeeming values...this ain't Pokemon, where you "gotta get em all..."

there's a couple within 5km but they are either puzzle caches which i'm not too interested in due to finding them you have to find some others and one that has escaped my finding it even with six tries going after it. Gas isn't an issue as I either ride my bicycle or take the bus to where i'm going hunting for caches. It makes city caches that much harder and makes those LPC's slightly more interesting because I'll average about 10-20km walking in a day devoted to caching.

2 traditional caches that are active and both are 1.8 miles on opposite sides of me. A temporarily unavailable mystery cache that is .8 and a multi that's 2.4 miles. And up near 1200 or so that are within an hour. I commute 1.5 hours to work towards Seattle and I've just scratched the surface that direction. Life is good!

2 traditional caches that are active and both are 1.8 miles on opposite sides of me. A temporarily unavailable mystery cache that is .8 and a multi that's 2.4 miles. And up near 1200 or so that are within an hour. I commute 1.5 hours to work towards Seattle and I've just scratched the surface that direction. Life is good!

12 miles. Fuel is no factor, it's $2.99 here, far from what our friends in Europe have been paying for quite some time. I drove 40 extra miles one way Sunday morning to pick up an extra county for our DeLorme challenge. Foolish for many other reasons.

Time and heat are big factors. Summer is my busy season for me and if I do get free time, BD has a list for me to keep me busy.

6.8 miles. It's a micro that I've looked for before and couldn't find. I've had it on my watch list and there have been a handful of finders since then so I know it's there somewhere.

Right now, as with others, the heat is more of a factor than gas prices. I'd rather wait until the weather cools off and the humidity drops before taking on some of the better hikes- and before I go peeking under things in the woods where snakes could be hanging out.

All you guys complaining about the heat. Come on out to Las Vegas, I 'll take you some awesome desert caches in the August afternoon sun.

Back on topic... there are several micros about 2-3 miles away from the house, and I pass a few on my home from work. Since I am on the freeway, I save them for another day.

There are some within a few miles of me. Due to time constraints I haven't grabbed them. I'm waiting for time to grab them all at once. Besides, its kind of nice to know that there are a few nearby in case I just MUST make a grab.

As to gas prices. It angers me to pay as much for gas as I do, but, fortunately, it does not mean I have to do without other things to buy it. And, in any event, I think about the cost of coffee (the liquid residue of boiled ground beans), which can be several dollars a CUP, or even the cost of bottled water. (I can get it nearly for free from the tap or hose.) When I think of these, I figure gas is a bargain.

Game on.

Top 3 Unfound closest caches:

#1 - GC14XDV Treasure at the Lake 1mile

#2 - GC15PBC RR Crossroads 1.3mile

#3 - GC15EMD Scores of Smalls 6 7.1mile (have found the location, just no cache there)

I try to save the closer ones for when my wife wants to go, since she dont like to do the "all day" caching like I do.

-Roger

0.2 miles away... I don't cache as much close to home as I do far from home so they tend to build up.

All you guys complaining about the heat. Come on out to Las Vegas, I 'll take you some awesome desert caches in the August afternoon sun.

Back on topic... there are several micros about 2-3 miles away from the house, and I pass a few on my home from work. Since I am on the freeway, I save them for another day.

Moose Mob took me to some awesome desert caches earlier this year - in February. I wouldn't recommend this time of year.

I have 3 not found caches within a mile, 14 within 2 miles, 123 within 5 miles. Almost all of them are micros (or puzzle caches for which I haven't a clue). I may never look for most of them.

One the weather colos off ,and my gimpy knee gets fixed, the price of gas will not keep me from driving to parks/preserves/wildlife management areas etc. where I can hike and find several "real" caches. I'll work the gas cost into the recreation budget somehow. If there are micros right along the way there I might stop for them if I have time. :anitongue:

I'm thinking about 3 mile away. A couple new ones have come out that haven't really piqued my interest yet. They're harder, require getting wet, and I'll have to be in the right mood to go for them.

Gas is expensive, so if we're far away we tend to stay out longer and find more rather than just a few and come home.

I'm not sure if this is unusual, but the majority of my finds are over 50 miles from home. I like to cache to see new areas. so we'll often pick a random spot and go there for a day or two. We do our local caching as well, but usually on Sunday when we want to relax and pick up a few without much driving.

I've got a few just about 2 miles away but one I helped place, another is a multi that just doesn't interest me and another is one that I consider to be in an unsafe location.

I have to say though, the cost of fuel is not an issue.

Just stand back and take a look at the cost to go to dinner and a movie these days.

Movie: $10 per ticket, $4.75 fro a soda and $5 for popcorn

Dinner: figure no less than $15 each and with a good glass of scotch or wine coming in anywhere between $5 and $10 it's hard to walk out sated for less than $50 for a couple.

How much do you spend on a day caching? Assuming you already have your GPS and the acessories.

Maybe $50 or so for a full day of entertainment (if you're on a numbers run and travelling a couple of hundred miles for park & grabs) Or.. If you already have your park pass, maybe $10 for supplies while out for a good healthy 10 mile hike?

Heck, Caching is cheap compared to some hobbies.

Most of my closest unfound caches are puzzles that I haven't been able to solve. The closest one has posted coordinates .1 miles away from my house, and the owner basically told me that he did that to torment me.

It's listed as a two star difficulty and other people have been able to figure it out... but to me it's just like staring at a blank wall.

I have 3 not found caches within a mile, 14 within 2 miles, 123 within 5 miles. Almost all of them are micros (or puzzle caches for which I haven't a clue). I may never look for most of them.

Wow. I guess that's what a high cache density will do for you. In a post in another thread you indicated that you had about 400 finds a year since 2002, yet there are still 123 caches you haven't found within 5 miles.

Contrast that with my just under 500 finds in a 20 months of geocaching and only 1 cache that I haven't found within 10 miles and only 7 within 15 miles.

Nearest unfound is a 2.5/4.5 at 2.1 miles away. I don't see myself ever doing that one. Next closest is 3 miles and is a 5/5. I don't think I'll ever attempt that one either. Of the other nine within 5 miles, one is a 5/5 requiring climbing 45 up a tree (I do not think so!) and a 2/5 kayaking cache. Four look like a pretty good hike and climb (3 terrain). The others I haven't gotten around to looking for yet.

Nearest unfound is a 2.5/4.5 at 2.1 miles away. I don't see myself ever doing that one. Next closest is 3 miles and is a 5/5. I don't think I'll ever attempt that one either. Of the other nine within 5 miles, one is a 5/5 requiring climbing 45 up a tree (I do not think so!) and a 2/5 kayaking cache. Four look like a pretty good hike and climb (3 terrain). The others I haven't gotten around to looking for yet.

I did two kayaking caches yesterday (one for my 500th find) but the one I *wanted* to do for my 500th is also a boat accessible only cache that hasn't been found it 3 years. It is about 45 minutes from home, then an 8 mile round trip paddle to the cache. Considering 4 mph is a good balkpark speed in a sea kayak I would have needed at least four hours to go find that one cache and I had to take my son to a birthday party about 4 hours after I left home. I'll have to try and do that one another day.

I just looked and 10.7 miles but I won't make a special trip for that one. I'll nab it when I pass by sometime. I've been out of town for a while and they are creeping up on me again. :huh: It used to be 14.9. The heat doesn't bug me too much just have been working out of town for almost two months and have too much to get caught up on, on the weekends. But I've nabbed some really good ones where I've been working at in the evenings after work. Gives me something to do instead of sitting in a hotel room watching TV.

My closest unfound cache must be somewhere within 10 yards from me right now.

It's a magnetic micro hat my wife has hidden somewhere in the house and which I will rehide it for her to find as soon as I have found it. But I haven't found it for 5 weeks now :huh:

That's a nice way to live together and practice your hobbie @ home :) .

In our old home, I used to hide a micro container in the garden at the playground, in the sand, for my two year old !! :) When she found it, she really logs her found. I kept the micro for later on in her life to show her how early she starts geocaching on her own :D

I did two kayaking caches yesterday (one for my 500th find) but the one I *wanted* to do for my 500th is also a boat accessible only cache that hasn't been found it 3 years. It is about 45 minutes from home, then an 8 mile round trip paddle to the cache. Considering 4 mph is a good balkpark speed in a sea kayak I would have needed at least four hours to go find that one cache and I had to take my son to a birthday party about 4 hours after I left home. I'll have to try and do that one another day.

Would have been a good one, if it were still there... Bring some kayaks to North Jersey sometime! I've got five kayaking caches on my ten-mile list, but I don't have a kayak. :huh: You might enjoy Split Rock Reservoir!

My closest cache is about half a mile away... and it's driving me crazy!

I've tried to reach it twice now from 2 different trails and both times it has ended in a dead end. Basically it's going to require some hardcore bush bashing with a machette or something! I knew it was going to be hard, but this is driving me nuts.

I wouldn't even care so much except that it contains 2 TBs that have been stuck in there for about a year and I am determined to rescue them.

It is now my mission to rescue to the 2 TBs, and I will succeed!