Garmin GPSMAP Waterproof?

AD0SB

Can anyone attest to how waterproof their gps is? Looking at a 60 CSx to use for kayaking, canoing, hiking, oh and of course, geocaching, but I am really concerned about water, I want to know have any of your gps's taken a good dunk and lived to track again? And does the warranty cover water intrusion?

Get a clear "dry bag." I use it for my cell phone when I kayak. You can see right thru it and push the buttons. I sure wouldn't take a chance when kayaking - buy the bag and save the grief of worrying the whole time you're out. I bought a set of 4 a long time ago on ebay but don't see them there anymore - try any good sporting goods store.

The 60Csx is indeed waterproof according the the Garmin site. I've also seen a YouTube video or two where someone posted a video of their tests showing the unit being dunked in water and surviving unscathed.

More important however is that fact that the 60Csx is does NOT float. So, if you drop it in the water, good luck finding it. Caribiner it to you or your boat. I believe the 76Csx which is functiionally equivalent to the 60Csx except for the different layout of buttons DOES float.

Edited by Lasagna

Thanks for the info, 98% of the time my gps is in a clear lexan pelican style case, so it is protected. I just like to know that if I get splashed or if the unit takes an accidental dunk, it wont be ruined. Pretty much inevitable that everything will get wet eventually :(

More important however is that fact that the 60Csx is does NOT float. So, if you drop it in the water, good luck finding it. Caribiner it to you or your boat. I believe the 76Csx which is functiionally equivalent to the 60Csx except for the different layout of buttons DOES float.
It will with lithium batteries.
Can anyone attest to how waterproof their gps is? And does the warranty cover water intrusion?

All the Garmin handheld GPSr are rated to IPX7

IPX7 - is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

During your warranty you can have the unit replaced if it does not perform to this standard.

Can anyone attest to how waterproof their gps is? And does the warranty cover water intrusion?

All the Garmin handheld GPSr are rated to IPX7

IPX7 - is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

During your warranty you can have the unit replaced if it does not perform to this standard.

Yea I thought I remembered reading that! So then your pretty safe if you drop it in the water providing that its not too deep and you get it out quickly.

The 60Csx is indeed waterproof according the the Garmin site. I've also seen a YouTube video or two where someone posted a video of their tests showing the unit being dunked in water and surviving unscathed.

Yes the 76CSX does float, and the 60CSX is waterproof, the only thing you really lose is the reception quality. I think the 60 is by far the best unit garmin has, unless you want to try your luck with the colorado. I have heard bad things about the colorado, but also many good things, and I have had no problem with it.