bears ancounter while hiking

DARIOT

hi everyone :D !i might b new on that,i'd been hiking for the last 2 years,inly @ the NJ area and some parts of NY,i know there are black bears @ the trails that i do,i never encounter one yet,only once i got to hear the loud groul,but i did not get to see it :D ,my question is,for safety,is it good to carry the pepper spray for bears?

Any ideas on the law about carrying those pepper sprays?

I love hiking but i also love to be alive,i never got to hear about anybody been attacked by bears in this area,but it doesn't mean that y never happend :o

thanks for the help

If you are hiking in northern NJ you are bound to see a bear sooner or later. I was out today and almost stepped in about a half dozen fresh piles of bear scat, but didn't see the former owners. Two weeks ago in the same area we saw 4 (two adults and 2 cubs).

Anyway, carrying pepper spray is unnecessary. These are black bear and they usually take off when they encounter humans. Even if they don't, just backing slowly away will get you to safety (never, ever run from a bear).

If carrying pepper spray makes you feel better, then by all means do it, but I think it's a waste of money.

Considering the range of pepper spray is very short and the volume quite small, I doubt you'd find it very useful. It would probably just further agitate the bear.

Actually, bear sprays must meet strict guidelines to be called and used as a defensive spray against brown bears and has been proven very effective. You can read the PDF report here.

Further information can be read here.

And a great diagram of how Bear Pepper Spray is supposed to work and be effective can be seen here.

Counter Assault has also recognized the need to practice as with any other self-defense weapon and has come out with an inert gas spray can for training purposes.

As with any product, do your research before purchasing anything. You need to understand the limitations and disadvantages each present. As noted in previous threads, your best action in a boiled down summary is to

1) don't be stealthy on the trail... that is don't be afraid to make some noise. Hiking in pairs, your tendancy to talk will usually be enough alert to the bears you're in the area and tend to be gone before you know they are there.

2) when encountering a bear, back away slowly and speak softly and calmly.

3) don't turn and run.

4) if attacked by a brown bear, play dead. If attacked by a black bear, put up a fight and make as much noise as possible using whatever means possible at your disposal. This is also when you want to have the bear spray handy. It should be worn in a quick release holster that is easy to reach. More advisements are here.

If you were successful at repelling a bear, get out of the area immediately and report the encounter to the appropriate authorities. There is anecdotal evidense dispensed bear spray has been known to attract bears back into the area. This is not conclusive but you should be aware of it.

If you are hiking in northern NJ you are bound to see a bear sooner or later. I was out today and almost stepped in about a half dozen fresh piles of bear scat, but didn't see the former owners. Two weeks ago in the same area we saw 4 (two adults and 2 cubs).

Anyway, carrying pepper spray is unnecessary. These are black bear and they usually take off when they encounter humans. Even if they don't, just backing slowly away will get you to safety (never, ever run from a bear).

If carrying pepper spray makes you feel better, then by all means do it, but I think it's a waste of money.

This is one of the few times, in fours years where I actually disagree with Briansnat. :) I have too much to live for to hope bears and Mtn. Lions will run away. Most of my remote hikes include a sturdy knife, and a pistol or revolver.

I am going to buy some bear deterrent spray as an added tool.

The David Parker Story convinced me to always be prepared, and never give up. Extra tools are always better in my opinion.

Attack photos

SOMETHING ELSE :( What colors are better to wear while hiking,green colors :( so the bear doesn't see us,or may be red a very colorful thing :( s so the bear see us and stay away

Bright orange so hunters can see you. We just had a woman here in WA fatally shot by a young hunter mistaking her for a bear as she was bent over putting something in her backpack.

SOMETHING ELSE :huh: What colors are better to wear while hiking,green colors :lol: so the bear doesn't see us,or may be red a very colorful thing :) s so the bear see us and stay away

Bright orange so hunters can see you. We just had a woman here in WA fatally shot by a young hunter mistaking her for a bear as she was bent over putting something in her backpack.

So sorry to hear. :)

Bears arnt the only ones you have to watch out for. This happend just a few days agoHunter kills woman hiker

I didn't provide the link becasue it's still under investigation and details were scant, but that's the hiker I referred to.

The teen had been legally licensed for the past 5 years. Apparently he did not use binoculars to confirm the prey before firing the shot. Members of the online group Hunting Washington has started a memorial fund to promote educational awareness and outreach programs in the hiker's honor. They also believe children should be supervised by an adult while hunting for the prevention of the tragedy that happened. We had that law on the books but for some reason it was removed and is under legislative investigation to find out why, and possibly reinstitute it. Kind of like closing the doors after the horses escaped syndrome IMO. There's also the possibility of a minimum age to be imposed, but I think this one would have been at or near the minimum that may get set.

This is one of the few times, in fours years where I actually disagree with Briansnat. :anitongue: I have too much to live for to hope bears and Mtn. Lions will run away. Most of my remote hikes include a sturdy knife, and a pistol or revolver.

I am going to buy some bear deterrent spray as an added tool.

The David Parker Story convinced me to always be prepared, and never give up. Extra tools are always better in my opinion.

Attack photos

Big difference between a mountain lion and a black bear. If there were a confirmed mt lion population here I would bring some sort of protection, though the likelihood is that it would be on me before I could react.

Note the number of deaths by Black Bears.

One possible explanation for the high number of black bear attacks, besides the increased encroachment into their habitat and shortage of food due to changing weather patterns, is the misconception that bears will often false charge so some believe you should not react. It is quite common for Browns to false charge but not Black bears, they either run off or commit to the attack. To each their own but I will continue to carry my pistol while in the woods, go with what you know. One of my close encounters with a cantankerous Black bear turned out just fine, well for me I now have a very nice 6-1/2 bear skin rug :laughing:

Note the number of deaths by Black Bears.

One possible explanation for the high number of black bear attacks, besides the increased encroachment into their habitat and shortage of food due to changing weather patterns, is the misconception that bears will often false charge so some believe you should not react. It is quite common for Browns to false charge but not Black bears, they either run off or commit to the attack. To each their own but I will continue to carry my pistol while in the woods, go with what you know. One of my close encounters with a cantankerous Black bear turned out just fine, well for me I now have a very nice 6-1/2 bear skin rug :D

The problem with the false charge is by the time you discover it isn't, it's already too late. They are in a full run and you've lost precious time. Treat each charge as if your life depended on it.

Big difference between a mountain lion and a black bear. If there were a confirmed mt lion population here I would bring some sort of protection, though the likelihood is that it would be on me before I could react.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America by decade. Note the number of deaths by Black Bears.

What that list doesn't tell you is how many of the victims smeared jelly donut essence on their bodies before the attack.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America by decade. Note the number of deaths by Black Bears.

What that list doesn't tell you is how many of the victims smeared jelly donut essence on their bodies before the attack.

And maybe some whipped cream.

m

And maybe some whipped cream.

m

Maybe the bears just wanted the picnic baskets.

We've encountered many black bears up close while hiking in the Smokies, and we never felt we'd be attacked even though it does happen on rare occasions. We don't carry spray or knives or guns. We carry hiking sticks and stay close together and pay attention to our surroundings.

Actually on Aug.12 a young boy was slightly injured by a black bear on a Smokies trail...... we were back out hiking the 13th with no hesitation and again we saw 3 large bears up close and personal. We didn't bother them and they didn't bother us.

I wouldn't know much about eastern bears cuz i live in Colorado (aww yea), but I say mace and peper spray and stuff like that isn't the best thing to have becasue its mostly a short range weapon that has limited spray area. You might want to look on www.BoyScoutsOfAmerica.org (www.bsa.org) For more info on how to protect against bears. And make sure you never hike alone! :D

I wouldn't know much about eastern bears cuz i live in Colorado (aww yea), but I say mace and peper spray and stuff like that isn't the best thing to have becasue its mostly a short range weapon that has limited spray area. You might want to look on www.BoyScoutsOfAmerica.org (www.bsa.org) For more info on how to protect against bears. And make sure you never hike alone! :)

Maybe you are referring to canisters designed for humans? The bear spray I checked into had a great pattern. I do wish it had a 100 foot range rather than a 30 fot range.

A recent item in the News & Notes section of Cabela's Outfitter Journal had this to say about pepper spray:

In a study led by Brigham Young University bear biologist Thomas Smith which analyzed 20 years of bear-spray incidents in Alaska, spray effectively halted aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of cases. Smith determined guns were effective only 67 percent of the time.

Smith believes one reason bear spray works is it gives users a reason to stand their ground. Running is the worst response to an aggressive bear. When you stop and plant your feet, that makes them stop.

The bottom line, Smith says, is "People working or recreating in bear habitat should feel confident they are safe if carrying bear spray."

A recent item in the News & Notes section of Cabela's Outfitter Journal had this to say about pepper spray:

In a study led by Brigham Young University bear biologist Thomas Smith which analyzed 20 years of bear-spray incidents in Alaska, spray effectively halted aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of cases. Smith determined guns were effective only 67 percent of the time.

Smith believes one reason bear spray works is it gives users a reason to stand their ground. Running is the worst response to an aggressive bear. When you stop and plant your feet, that makes them stop.

The bottom line, Smith says, is "People working or recreating in bear habitat should feel confident they are safe if carrying bear spray."

Smith's bottom line should be qualified based on the story tsunrisebey linked and the point Workman attempted to push:

People working or recreating in bear habitat should feel confident they are safe if carrying bear spray providing they maintain situational awareness and have at least practiced how to use it.

I've only encountered a black bear once and I was safely in my car at the time. My camp was only about 500 yards away I was unarmed and I will admit I didn't sleep well that night.

As for bear spray I have never tried it but I am certified in the use and instruction of the human version of full police strength pepper spray. I will tell you that during training I was hit directly in the eyes with a string foam version of the spray and I was down for over 20 min and couldn't see straight for over 30 min.

I know that when it comes to dogs the effects are shortened to around 2-5 min for blindness and 30min- a few hours for sent. This makes me wonder if bears or cats would act the same way. I know that when dealing with a dog if they can find you after the spray wears off they will come for you. So I would wonder if the bear will keep running or just get mad.

Even with that in mind I will still carry spray with me if I am going into bear territory.

Like every other item in your pack it comes down to what your comfortable with and what research you have done. I personally would recommend finding some type of training before you use any defense product. For example if you spray a mist type spray into the wind you now have to deal with a bear, unbelievable pain, blindness, and a host of other complications.

I've only encountered a black bear once and I was safely in my car at the time. My camp was only about 500 yards away I was unarmed and I will admit I didn't sleep well that night.

As for bear spray I have never tried it but I am certified in the use and instruction of the human version of full police strength pepper spray. I will tell you that during training I was hit directly in the eyes with a string foam version of the spray and I was down for over 20 min and couldn't see straight for over 30 min.

I know that when it comes to dogs the effects are shortened to around 2-5 min for blindness and 30min- a few hours for sent. This makes me wonder if bears or cats would act the same way. I know that when dealing with a dog if they can find you after the spray wears off they will come for you. So I would wonder if the bear will keep running or just get mad.

Even with that in mind I will still carry spray with me if I am going into bear territory.

Like every other item in your pack it comes down to what your comfortable with and what research you have done. I personally would recommend finding some type of training before you use any defense product. For example if you spray a mist type spray into the wind you now have to deal with a bear, unbelievable pain, blindness, and a host of other complications.

Bear pepper spray is much stronger than that for humans. It has been proven effective. The doctrine is after you spray the bear, get back to the trailhead immediately and report the encounter. Bears are attracted to the scent of the pepper because it is a spice to them. Brown bears have been known to tear apart things such as a float plan pontoon that had some sprayed on it. So don't use it like a bug repellent. It is strictly for a last ditch effort if you are in immanent danger.

My favorite bear story is about some hikers who ran into a few bears on the way back to their car. They were stymied on how to get back with the bears blocking their path. They were just standing there trying to figure out what to do, while waiting for the bears to leave, which they weren't doing.

Soon, luckily for them, a couple of rangers came down the path. When they found out what was going on, one of the rangers walked ahead down the path and gave the magic bear removal word:

"Shoo bears, shooo!!"

and the bears walked away.

Now while I am NOT suggesting you try this yourself (remember these rangers are trained in what to do in case of bear attack, which I recommend everyone find out about), but it just made me feel much better about running into bears.

This is a true story.

PS, these were NOT grizzlies!!!! Black bears are pretty benign. Grizzlies are another story altogether

Edited by Sol seaker

I have two stories related to black bears in the WV/PA northern WV area.

My first encounter was at Campground/Mountain Biking area in Hazelton, WV. It is located on the WV/MD border just south of the PA state line. Ironically enough the campground's name is “Big Bear” and is the host of the annual 24 hours of Big Bear Mountain Bike race.

I was riding the race course loop (non race weekend) with a Japanese colleague of mine and he was some distance ahead of me on a mild climb. As I was climbing I heard a noise off to my right, and sure enough it was a “Big Bear” and he was running straight towards me :laughing: . My natural reaction was to peddle faster even though there is no way I could have out ran the bear. When he heard me he was within 10 yards of me and closing in fast. I assume the sound of my change in peddle cadence alerted him of my presence and he stopped on a dime and ran the other way.

When I caught up with my Japanese friend I told him of the story and he showed some concern. I told him “Don't worry the bears here are American Bears...and most Americans don't like to eat Japanese.

Although it got my heart rate up I am happy to have had that life experience.

The second encounter was at a Campground about 20 miles north of the first encounter. This encounter was indirect as we were in our camper sleeping at the time. Our neighbors who has their camper on the woods line was sitting out at their fire ring. A black bear came out of the woods, sniffed their grill and walked right past them to the picnic table which had a box of cereal left out. The bear knocked over the cereal and helped himself. All of this happened while my neighbors sat quietly just feet away motionless watching :D . When the cereal was gone the bear continued across the road, inspected my site and continued on it's way. The next morning the office had multiple reports from campers who seen the bear which showed no aggression to anyone.

Bears like any wild animal should be respected but the black bears here on the east cost should not deter anyone for getting out into the woods.