BlackjackII, CacheMate & Google Maps

I am sure there's already an answer here, somewhere, but I have spent hours cruising and searching and can't find current info on this... or failed to recognize it if I did.

I am using a WM6 Samsung Blackjack II, CacheMate & Google Maps, with current versions of all.

When I load a PQ into CacheMate on my PC I can export it to various file types, then import that file into a map program so that all of the caches appear on the map.

Can that be done on the BJII? I do not see the Export options for this in WMSmartphone-CacheMate or the Import options to do it in Google Maps.

If CacheMate and Google Maps won't do it, is there other software for the BJII that will?

I have been told that the BJII can be used in this manner for navigation and geocaching but how to do so eludes me!

Thanks!

It can be done sort of.You can create a .kml file with ther caches and host that somewhere online.Then when you open Google Moble maps enter the url of your kml file into the search box and it will diplay those on the maps as placemarks which you can then route to.The downside is GMM will inly display the first 9 caches so if you are going to going for a lot you will need to break them up into kml files of 9 caches or less.I use Garmin mobile XT with cachemate when I am not using my Garmin.It is not free but works much better for me and it is integrated with cachemate so you only have to load the gpx file into cachemate.

I have been told that the BJII can be used in this manner for navigation and geocaching but how to do so eludes me!

You can use Cachemate for the BJII to navigate to a cache using a compass screen. Of course this is only Point-to-Point navigation. Once you load the cache details screen up, go to the menu and select Action | Navigate. This will start the compass and satellite detection. Once that all settles down you can navigate to the cache. I only use this once I get pretty close to the cache (<.30) or if I have a good idea of the geographic area. I only use it for urban caches. I do not want to get the BJII wet or dirty.

As far as I can see there is no way to export the caches from Cachemate and then import them into Google Maps directly on the BJII. I will look around and see. There are other GPS nagigation progragrams that can import the .gpx file just like Cachemate and navigate via Street routes to the cache and then use Cachemate to get the details and that last few hundred feet to the cache.

I use a Nuvi in my car to get me close and then Cachemate to do the find. I was amazed at how accurate it was! It was right on, <1ft.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Download the KML plugin and install.

Select the caches for export, change it from gpx to kml.

Remove the first line from the kml with a text editor, he has a bug in the export feature that needs fixed.

Use the file explorer and run the kml. Make sure you have WM 6.1 and the lastest google maps, and it will work.

On this same subject but not ... are there any instructions on how to use Cachemate on the BlackJack II? I am usually quick to pick up new programs but am completely loss on Cachemate WM. Maybe it's just using a itty-bitty screen. Cachemate is already loaded on my BJII but I'm not sure what to do after that. Is there a DUMMIES book for Cachemate? :( Thanks ya'll.